Author Topic: Project Under way.  (Read 20465 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Project Under way.
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2015, 07:29:04 PM »
Brian

I do have a question... If we aren't going to be putting this boat on a beach ever (only in an emergency) do we need to  put the Strakes on the bottom on the port and starboard sides. Just wondering if they had anything to do with water flow while at speed. We plans of beaching this boat ever.

The boat was designed for SE Alaska and South Central Alaska, where beaching is pretty standard.  If you aren't going to be beaching the boat, then no, you don't have to put the strakes on.  I do like how they align the boat with the bunks on the trailer, but I wouldn't put them on just for that.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

twisted1

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2015, 03:49:15 PM »
Thanks Brain, yeah we are putting them on for trailing haha... It would  make it much easier to align on the trailer. Getting close to flipping, we have it glassed and we are fairing some wavy scarfs, glass edges and tape lines....

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2015, 05:57:01 PM »
Repeat after me...

"Fairing is fun..." (repeat until happy)

;D

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

twisted1

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2015, 08:58:36 PM »
Brian

I know you have heard this question over and over again... But I was wondering how far forward do I angle the bottom paint on the side of the boat, starting at 6in down at  the transom. We are building a 28' 6" It will have a 250hp Yamaha (565lbs), one battery in the back two mid ship, Stove with oven forward of the head 70lbs aprox. frig forward passenger side aprox 80lbs. two fuel  tanks (55gal ea) centered at the aft bulk head. Each bulkhead will be at 9 1/2' ea.

Would like a water tank forward of the forward fuel tank but that's up in the air and another question haha

Thanks and sorry for the repetitive question...

Mark

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2015, 10:53:26 PM »
Angle the paint?  I think you mean the boundary between the bottom treatment and the side paint, like where a boot stripe would go, right?  The best way to do, best looking that is, is to have the line curve upward towards the stern and bow (like a smile) ...but not too much.  Level the boat fore and aft (tops of the stringers level to gravity, not necessarily your shop floor ..use an actual level).  Then use a water level (hose with water in it ...google it) to mark off a level line from stem to stern - a reference line.  Then mark at about 2" above the line at the stern and maybe 4" up at the bow, and a mid point right on the line just about where the sides curve inward to the bow, e.g. near the front seats in the pilot house.  The trick is to draw a smooth curve beween those 3 points.  If it were me, I'd CAD it up and take offsets that i could mark above the level line and then use autobody tape to 'connect the dots' and commence painting. A curved boot stripe like this looks nice no matter how the boat is trimming ...kind of a little secret.  If you want to use a straight line, noting that boats should trim a tad low at the stern and generally do gain 'junk in the trunk' weight over time anyway, a boot stripe that is slightly higher at the stern by 1" to 2" generally looks nice as well.  Sloping it down at the stern exacerbates the 'stern low' look that boats sometimes get when loaded more heavily in the stern.  As for where the level line goes, I'd put it at about 4" above the chine at the transom and go forward from there.

Brian

twisted1

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2015, 09:44:09 PM »
Well have my boat epoxied (used a white pigment in the epoxy from system 3, for the sided)  graphite bottom then primed and bottom paint. Will be flipping on Saturday at 1pm. Hoping 20 guys is enough to lift this boat out roll it and put it back. Putting it back I think might be a tough one. Any advice is more than welcome. Never done this before. Then again there is a lot on this project I haven't done before. So many  hats to wear hahaha....