Author Topic: GA 28 built by Kachemak Skiffs Wasilla, AK  (Read 66839 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: GA 28 built by Kachemak Skiffs Wasilla, AK
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 05:03:04 AM »
Perfect Brian, thanks. I'm on board with all of what you said. Anthony and I got the transom, deck, and scuppers ironed out on the phone earlier today so he's off and running working on glassing the stringers and all the rest of the bilge work while I'm working with a local fab shop on the fuel tanks.

It's going to be a nice boat!  And progress is fast ... Anthony is one of those that can build quickly AND quality at the same time.  Rare qualities...

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 12:10:45 PM »
And Anthony is building a 24-ft Jumbo and also working on a Tolman Standard while working on mine!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 06:58:43 PM »
And Anthony is building a 24-ft Jumbo and also working on a Tolman Standard while working on mine!

He da Man!!

bd
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2018, 01:01:28 AM »
Boat design central lately while we await fuel tanks and Anthony wraps up the guts in the belly of the boat. Wet gear locker aft and a fairly typical port side arrangement. Spent a lot of time in other boats verifying measurements. A few dimensions might tweak but we're getting close.

Anthony and I felt the 51" dimension from bow to aft anchor-well bulkhead was a hair long and pushes the cuddy hatch a bit close to the windshield, so we plan to shorten it just a hair to 48". Other than that, Brian's dimensions are holding up to intense scrutiny fairly nicely!

Significant visible progress is right around the corner.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 07:24:09 AM »
Looking good, but I have a question or two on the transom?

I only see one (of two) of the LVL motor boards?  Is the lower motor board (LVL) installed?  How about below the bottom motor board ... should be 2" thick.  Is the lowest plywood doubler in place?

The motor cut-out looks awfully deep ... The bottom of the cut-out should be about 18" below the sheerline if using an XL shaft motor.  How deep is your cut-out?

Thx, If something's amiss, this is the time to remedy it.

Brian

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 09:46:02 PM »
Happy to have your questions: The transom looks funky from this view, 28-ft away. Anthony has been having trouble with voids in LVL lately, so this transom from the engine cutout down is 4 layers of plywood laminated with glass and biax between each layer. It's a full 2" thick, and bombproof. The cutout is for an engine with a 25" shaft, as measured from the bottom to the engine cutout....we never measured from the gunwales down. I'll be back in his shop in 2 weeks and will double-check all of this - all our work is up front now so still plenty of time to re-visit the transom if necessary.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2018, 03:25:21 PM »
Happy to have your questions: The transom looks funky from this view, 28-ft away. Anthony has been having trouble with voids in LVL lately, so this transom from the engine cutout down is 4 layers of plywood laminated with glass and biax between each layer. It's a full 2" thick, and bombproof. The cutout is for an engine with a 25" shaft, as measured from the bottom to the engine cutout....we never measured from the gunwales down. I'll be back in his shop in 2 weeks and will double-check all of this - all our work is up front now so still plenty of time to re-visit the transom if necessary.

4 layers of ply with biax between each?  That's awesome!  That should be bomb proof as you say ... and if the bottom of the cut-out is for a 25" shaft, then no worries too.  Keep on truckin'....

Brian

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2018, 11:21:59 PM »
Here's some progress from earlier in the week. Fuel tanks came out exactly as I designed them and are sweetly fabricated - all 3/16" 5052 aluminum. Total nominal volume ~ 132 gallons. Should get an honest 110 gallons of usable volume - hoping for 3.5mpg resulting in a range of over 350 miles so I can go a week to 10 days on longer remote trips and screw around a lot without worrying too much about fuel.

Raised the back deck 3" higher than the main cabin floor, giving just enough room to run the fuel lines above the main stringers and have them completely outside the cabin - zero potential for fumes in the cabin other than the wind wafting vent fumes into a window occasionally perhaps. This, too, came out exactly as I designed it - super happy with the whole works.

Cuddy is mostly built - aft cuddy bulkhead is at 118" - the longest length recommended by Brian. The cabin will be 9 1/2' long (about a foot longer than Brian recommends), still leaving 8'-3" of back deck from transom to aft cabin bulkhead, which will be cut down by about 2-ft for the splashwell and maybe 16" or so for the cabinets on either side of the splashwell. Since I'm focused on camping rather than a total fishing machine, these compromises seem reasonable. We pushed the height of the cuddy up a few inches so I have 40" from bunk top plywood to cuddy roof, so I can sit up straight in there. We also eliminated stringers in the cuddy roof - we have 1/2" of foam glassed both sides, with 1/4" okoume laminated on top. With the hatch flange, the windshields, and a curvature of about 4" in 6-ft, it will be solid. It already feels fine without the windshields and hatch framework in place.

Decided to have zero access ports in the back deck floor - just seal it up tight, no hatches to leak and fuss with. The floor of the cabin and cuddy will have removable cutouts to access storage there.

In the anchor well, we moved the bulkhead up to 48" instead of Brian's 51", to give the hatch a bit more room to swing without hitting the windshield, and create a hair more space in the cuddy. Still seems fine up in the anchor well so seems like a reasonable tweak.

Finally, getting back to Brian's concern about the transom, we measured that and it checks out perfectly - cutout is 18" below the gunwales, and height from keel to cutout is 25", exactly as our engine vendor specified, so we're all good there.

Open to ideas on what to coat the back deck, gunwales, anchor locker, and cuddy roof with. I originally wanted bedliner, but the bedliner I've seen has too many "holes" in it to trap dirt. Curious about Zolatone or other products that create a grippy texture that is still reasonable to clean.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2018, 08:07:31 AM »
Dan,

You deserve a lot of accolades for the fine job you are doing together with Anthony.  Everything is just awesome, and very very well thought out.  I agree that everything you've done is A-OK (including the aft house bulkhead and anchor well mods / locations).  Thanks for posting such detailed information on everything you are doing, especially the pictures.  Who built your nice tanks?  Are they baffled, or did the shop think that wasn't necessary?  That's going to be one fine boat ... and it'll outlast you AND your kids :)

Brian

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2018, 12:12:29 PM »
Thanks Brian. A lot of the credit goes to Anthony...having built 16 Tolmans, he's got a lot of practical experience that gels nicely with my goals, and he's willing to try new things like the foam core and other "new" ideas.

Tri-jet in Palmer built the tanks - I'm a good friend of the owner. They weld double-wall fuel tanks for helicopter and other aviation pursuits, and do some large-scale military contracting involving substantial aluminum welding so they're well qualified and were very helpful and willing to work with my ideas. The tanks have two baffles each - I'm a strong advocate of the baffles. Lack of baffling was one reason I decided to stay away from the plastic tanks, not to mention that it's hard to maximize space with them.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2018, 02:11:52 PM »
Wow... those are well built heavy duty tanks.  I know that on some that are built with heavy walls, that they don't always put baffles in them.  Your place in Palmer built them heavy AND put baffles in!  Well done!

Brian

Dave Collett-Paule

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2018, 06:40:05 PM »
Love those fuel tanks, Dan! They look like the ones I had fabricated here in Homer by Bay Welding. Anthony is doing his usual excellent work. Enjoyed your visit a few weeks ago.

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2018, 07:17:40 PM »
Thanks Dave! Yes, they are modeled after your tanks with a few tweaks to fit my scenario. Appreciated that visit and learned a lot from it, thanks! Headed to Homer Monday for ~ 3 weeks of solar installations, so might want to come by and take another snoop around your boat for ideas at some point.....or maybe you need some gas money for a fishing trip, who knows :)

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2018, 07:44:57 PM »
Been awhile and quite a bit of progress. Just decided on the Suzuki DF250AP fly by wire as the main engine, and the new-ish fuel injected 9.9 high-thrust kicker with Brian's help today. Feels good to have the engines figured out. I'll be around 6-7000 lb on the water and want to cruise around 25 and be able to go 35 without straining the engine, and want to cruise at low-ish RPMs to keep the engine quieter, so along with my weight, I went for the 250 to keep noise and stress down on the engine. The idea of a 200 straining most of the time to keep up did not sit well with me.

Back deck nearing completion - wide 12" gunwales with lockers below for skis and fishing poles, and the nice aft storage cabinets, with solid tops - all access from the front, with no opportunity for water to get into them from top-mounted hatches. Even with the 9 1/2' extra long cabin, 4 people will be able to fish no problem, and there's a bit of room to move around otherwise, so I'm happy with the long cabin dimension for my use. The crazy roof is over 12-ft long, so plenty of room for radar and lights up front, then solar panels, then dinghy. Things are working out nicely.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2018, 10:23:07 AM »
Dan,

Cant wait for some more update pics.  do you have any more pics of inside the cuddy?  I am interested in how the foam attaches to the sheer decks.

Looking good!