Author Topic: Kodiak 31' 4"' OAL 9'6" Beam West Coast Boat Works, Bend OR.  (Read 68607 times)

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
Re: Kodiak 30' OAL 9'6" Beam West Coast Boat Works, Bend OR.
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2020, 06:10:20 PM »
Update:
Made my cat walk 24" wider after falling off, all is well I have a hard head. I made a 1" ID fiberglass tube to go in my limber holes, glued stringers in, attached bottom to stringers, Cut in bow thruster hole in the first bottom layer thinking if I screwed up I could cover it with the second layer. It fit just right not afraid to say I was a bit nervous about it, then glued on the starboard side bottom second layer, cut off the ends of the bottom and stringers. 
With the Kodiak having taller sides than the typical GA I won't be attaching the sides until the bottom is completely finished. With the catwalk it is so much easier to get to the bottom for glassing and painting. When I install the sides the bottom will be finished up to 3-4" from where the sides meet the chine. I'll be using Sea Hawk 2145GL Tropikote Black Gl for my anti-foul bottom paint. Very spendey at $250 per gallon but from what I could see it is the best out there. 
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2020, 11:31:44 PM »
Those nailer strips look like a good idea for spreading out the pressure from the screws.  Did you wrap them in plastic so the squeeze out does stick them to the hull?

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2020, 08:43:34 AM »
Those nailer strips look like a good idea for spreading out the pressure from the screws.  Did you wrap them in plastic so the squeeze out does stick them to the hull?
They do work well for that reason. I just use blue painters tape on the bottom of the nailers, much easier & faster than wrapping in plastic.
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2020, 09:44:28 AM »
They do work well for that reason. I just use blue painters tape on the bottom of the nailers, much easier & faster than wrapping in plastic.

I like those strips ... they probably help smooth the curves as well.  So the non-adhesive side of blue painter's tape does not stick to epoxy?  Or maybe some remnants remain but sand right off?  As long as the wood strips come off, then who cares? :D

Thx,
Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2020, 12:21:42 PM »

I like those strips ... they probably help smooth the curves as well.  So the non-adhesive side of blue painter's tape does not stick to epoxy?  Or maybe some remnants remain but sand right off?  As long as the wood strips come off, then who cares? :D

Thx,
Brian

Yep as long as you use the Blue painters tape epoxy wont stick, just don't by the cheap stuff get it at a professional paint store

« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 12:47:32 PM by Brian.Dixon »
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2020, 09:29:24 AM »
I used some sort of tape,  now I can’t remember on the inside of the hull at the chines.  When I epoxied the chines on I had a lot of stuck tape to sand off.  For the record it was not blue

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2020, 12:57:55 PM »
Bow Thruster Tunnel Installed

First picture: Tunnel dry fit
Second photo: Tunnel tack glued from inside hull
Third photo: Faired the hull on the leading edge up about 3/16" high than the rear of the tunnel. This is a requirement so the water deflects up enough under forward power so the water does not hit the rear face of the tunnel. I also used "Peel Ply" on top of the epoxy peanut butter to see how smooth it would come out. I was simply amazed how smooth and uniform it came out. I thought I would need at least 2 or 3 applications to get it this smooth. Peel Ply is worth every penny, saves so much time sanding.
Fourth Photo: Tunnel all installed, sanded and faired, it all came out as good as I hoped for. Just have a few more grey hairs worrying about cutting a huge hole in my hull.
Also got most of the bottom ready for glassing, chine and keel seams all done.
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
Re: Kodiak 31' 4"' OAL 9'6" Beam West Coast Boat Works, Bend OR.
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2020, 01:59:17 PM »
Finally some progress, work and summer fun getting in the way. Bottom is all glassed and finial sanded/faired  from chine/bottom joint on both sides ready for bottom paint. Took the cat walk down and made cardboard templates getting ready to put the sides on. Both port and starboard back half of sides glued and scarfed together about 19 1/2 foot long panels. I will glass the inside of the panels tomorrow (Sunday) I hope to install the sides week after next. Still need to make the front half side panels. I used peel Ply on top of my finial epoxy coat for the entire bottom. After removal of the peel ply it only took me 4 hours to finial sand the entire bottom of this beast. Most of that time was sanding where the peel ply didn't cover and along the outside edge of the cloth.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 07:22:31 AM by Grady300 »
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2020, 03:36:43 PM »

Glad to see the progress!  I predict an October flip.... :D

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2020, 07:41:29 AM »

Glad to see the progress!  I predict an October flip.... :D
Brian- if you noticed the 2x4 missing 30" forward of the stern it's not missing just not in yet. I will cut that one in after the flip when I figure out my Euro Transom framing.

I would say a late October flip is a good guess! Lot of work to be done first. When I flip it I hope to have 90% of the out side ready for prime & paint. The bottom paint will be on and done as well as primer for finish coat up to the bottom of the side spray rails on the hull. I might be a little optimistic on the timing, Prime time Salmon season on the Siletz River is hear we will see. Well time to go lay some 6oz. glass on the inside of the side panels prepping for install next week

« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 08:56:36 AM by Grady300 »
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2020, 09:41:07 AM »

Wish I could join you on the Siletz ... I miss the good ol' days of fishing around there..

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2020, 12:25:07 PM »

Wish I could join you on the Siletz ... I miss the good ol' days of fishing around there..
ya know all ya got to do is make the drive over! you're always welcome!The RV has 3 queen size beds, lots of room
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2020, 03:25:44 PM »

ya know all ya got to do is make the drive over! you're always welcome!The RV has 3 queen size beds, lots of room

Up until this year, we've been highly tasked with property and house ... what you get when you buy a 16 year old house that had all contractor-grade flooring and items in it, and previous home owners that loved new projects but never did a lick of maintenance in their lives.  Good a good deal on the place, and it's value has gone up 50% since buying it, so can't complain and money spent on it is not lost.  BUT ... we're finally getting mostly ahead on the place now.  I think that starting next year, that I can be a lot more flexible and will have a lot more vacation saved up ... which means ... time for friends and fishing (finally!)  Already lining up B10 w/the Klistofs too ....

I will take you up on the Siletz offer next year, and offshore if/when you go next summer too ....

Thanks a mil!
Brian

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2020, 12:41:33 PM »

Up until this year, we've been highly tasked with property and house ... what you get when you buy a 16 year old house that had all contractor-grade flooring and items in it, and previous home owners that loved new projects but never did a lick of maintenance in their lives.  Good a good deal on the place, and it's value has gone up 50% since buying it, so can't complain and money spent on it is not lost.  BUT ... we're finally getting mostly ahead on the place now.  I think that starting next year, that I can be a lot more flexible and will have a lot more vacation saved up ... which means ... time for friends and fishing (finally!)  Already lining up B10 w/the Klistofs too ....

I will take you up on the Siletz offer next year, and offshore if/when you go next summer too ....

Thanks a mil!
Brian
Anytime!! if all goes well we can fish for some Ling Cod in April in the Kodiak is I geter done on time
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2020, 04:00:46 PM »
Anytime!! if all goes well we can fish for some Ling Cod in April in the Kodiak is I geter done on time

Dude!  LING COD is our fave fish!  :D :D :D