Author Topic: Ed's boat in Perth  (Read 125829 times)

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Ed's boat in Perth
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2012, 11:23:23 AM »
Mmmmmm..... I want to laminate the coach roof too, prob use Divinacell - AU$280 a 20mm (3/4 frozen inches) sheet..... wot? and eithe r3mm ply sandwiched or perhaps glass direct to the foam, want to have the roof back a fair bit to cover us from the Perth sun and those 40 deg daz.... really not keen on any framing below the roof, and insulation is also a real concern so prob bight da bullet (lol) and buy 4 sheets - 2.050 x 1200 x 20mm, maybe another for the cuddy roof too.....
Not waving....... Drowning!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2012, 11:39:31 AM »
Maybe you guys call them something else ...but around these parts, wheel weights are those curved lead weights that get hammered onto the perimeter of the rim (car wheel) to balance the tires.  They are a pretty good alloy for casting bullets, unless you accidentally get the new zinc ones that is.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2012, 11:34:29 PM »
Mmmmmm..... I want to laminate the coach roof too, prob use Divinacell - AU$280 a 20mm (3/4 frozen inches) sheet..... wot? and eithe r3mm ply sandwiched or perhaps glass direct to the foam, want to have the roof back a fair bit to cover us from the Perth sun and those 40 deg daz.... really not keen on any framing below the roof, and insulation is also a real concern so prob bight da bullet (lol) and buy 4 sheets - 2.050 x 1200 x 20mm, maybe another for the cuddy roof too.....

Do you have to vacuum bag that stuff if you are laminating layers of wood onto it?  Seems like it would make sense and I know there are 'hacker' ways of doing it with shop vacs and what not ...if you don't already have the equipment.  I've never tried it, nor have I looked too deeply into it.  Another option is to create a sandwich roof that's filled with standard polyurethane or polyethylene (my preference) foam.  I think Renn Tolman's book has details on doing it this way, and/or you can contact Neal Schlee at http://www.lasertechalaska.com and he'll send you pix on how he did it ...the guy's a craftsman.  Cheaper than the divine-o-cell fancy shmancy stuff...  Tell him I sent ya...

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Murray in N.Z.

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2012, 03:52:44 AM »
Ed, sounds like U R thinking up good things to do with the space, boy rearward facing windows take up a pile of space, the stuff in between the 2 red lines on the starbord side of the Pelin pic is all downstairs piloting posn. With the forward facing screen it would all be moved about a metre forward and the port side would have room for a decent seating arrangement. far betterer.
It looks like U are really getting on to work now that the weather has cooled down a bit. Have you returned those bricks to the site up the road yet or are you keeping them for ballast to counterbalance the 3000 HP supertanker engine?
Keep working Ed, its looking good and I want to come fishing when I return to Perth in 201?.

Bryan, yip tire weights make good cast boolits, used to use em in .303 British coz for a while there we couldnt get boolits for it but now they are common as refugees... every shop has a few lying around doing nothing.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2012, 08:57:00 AM »
...And I'll bet the boolit shortage had something to do with government, right?  They are here to help, right?

Another benefit to forward leaning windows is that you can hang radios and what not from the ceiling in a place that's not in your face (head bangers) and doesn't take up room on the helm or dash.  I still like radios mounted near the helm, not the roof, but some people like the roof area for that.  Another benefit is that pass-throughs such as radar and antenna wiring that goes to forward gear on top of the roof can now pass through the roof in a place away from your head as well.  I like the open feeling of having a windshield sloping away from me, and it also keeps the sun off salt spray on the glass so you get better visibility too.

Just my 2-bits...

Brian

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2012, 09:16:52 AM »
Yea kinda good idea, I understand the waste space, seems a Lotta work, not sure it wood look good..... mull that one ova, more eye thunk aboat it, might look ok.... round bilge helps too.
Pelin did lots of nice looking designs.
Wen eye wos apprentice back 100 yrs ago eye wanted to build one of his yachts, 26 ft cant remember the design name. Never did, too many cars'n girls! an 11's sat mornings too

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2012, 10:49:53 AM »

Do you have to vacuum bag that stuff if you are laminating layers of wood onto it?  Seems like it would make sense and I know there are 'hacker' ways of doing it with shop vacs and what not ...if you don't already have the equipment.  I've never tried it, nor have I looked too deeply into it.  Another option is to create a sandwich roof that's filled with standard polyurethane or polyethylene (my preference) foam.  I think Renn Tolman's book has details on doing it this way, and/or you can contact Neal Schlee at http://www.lasertechalaska.com and he'll send you pix on how he did it ...the guy's a craftsman.  Cheaper than the divine-o-cell fancy shmancy stuff...  Tell him I sent ya...

Brian
Yea vacuum bagging is simple Brian and and yes I will vac the coach roof, vac really makes for building all sorts of elements in the build if you are a ditherererreer like me.... never been keen on Polyurethane - slightest movement ova time and it crumbles at the veneer layer to dust an oh heck the pain when a little mountain size gets in ur eye!
I agree on that foam too.... plurry expensive AUD$280 a 2M sheet 3/4".
Bean thunking, perhaps 2 x 3/16th spaced apart with 30H x 15mm W 'stringers' @ 200 centers fore'n aft, BUT still needs  cross 'frames' @ 2 ft centers, to hold the curve, under it's own weight it will sag ova time. Perhaps polystyrene foam infill for insulation - we need that here.
Inexpensive and in the water I say!

You can use the compressor off an old fridge for smaller work like veneering doors, foam sandwich hatches, even sandwich panel with 1/8th ply and foam for that 800mm wide hatch on the cockpit sole (deck a'la Alaskan) this stops that springy feel to 1/2" ply even with the cleats you designed in. Generally people don't like 1 to 2mm floor movement....
Looking at a woodworker machine shop today - fatal o the wallet! out the back they had various wood veneers, got to thunking, Mmmmmmm nice transom look..... easy to vac on see.... just the maintenance Brian, even with the space-age tech in coatings these daz, high uv here and NZ too aye Muzza.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 10:58:27 AM by Ed Snyder »

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2012, 11:09:55 AM »
A little more progress down aft, inside pic is the layered ply to stiffen up the transom when the door is cut out, 25mm of ply where it counts and 36mm of Jarra (Ozzie Hard hard plurry hard wood) laminated either side.
The 1" cleat on the LVL is to put a curve to the deck, thinking of a 1/2" ply to the LVL in the cockpit sole for water runoff thwart ships....
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 11:23:36 AM by Ed Snyder »

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2012, 11:18:50 AM »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2012, 11:35:49 AM »
The boat's definitely looking nice!  Must have more time for these things than me...

And yes, if you do a foam-filled roof then you might want to think about putting solid framing or blocking in wherever you think you might need to screw something down, e.g. antenna mounts or radar pedestals etc.

Brian

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2012, 10:41:03 AM »
yea true, but at my age, I forget what I'm gonna put up there!
But, a wee trick, if I miss blocking or later want to screw down something, Ill drill a 10mm hole where the screw(s) are to go, then using an L shape alan key in a drill, poke the small end in the hole a pull da trigger, that get the foam loose! vac out the rubbish and fill up with epoxy resin, thicken up a little too,pourable though. Your local vet my sell you a large syringe that'll squirt it in too.

Ed

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2012, 11:34:33 AM »
I just used one of those syringes last night, only I buy mine from the local Feed & Seed ...they sell vaccinations and what not for farm animals and the syringes that go with them.

Smart trick on the mounting point hardening... I'll have to remember that!

Brian

Murray in N.Z.

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2012, 03:31:59 AM »
Ed. How right you are about the huge amount of work to replace the cabin but ..... ever since it did a submarine impersonation for a few days the ply throughout is slowly delaminating. It was not poxy sealed as the GA is.

Your bote is beginning to look real good, have you thort of a V8 and jet unit for it, I went out on one the other weekend, about 26 foot and it went grouse. Dont know thw economy but with that V8 thumping away who cares!!!! Boyz rule!!!!

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2012, 05:00:55 AM »
Ah yus! V8's rule! so does da friggin gas pump! Yes Muzza, poxy everythink, hat coat barter bullits - da lot. Aboat to glass all that hasn't been done, then get the Saw'all and cut her up the middle, add 3 ft an glass some more...... WOT?
Watch this space, oh, an Brians eyes!

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2012, 05:02:11 AM »
Test pilots huh..... you wait'n see..............