Author Topic: Outdoor build of GA Kodiak, Orange, CA  (Read 86356 times)

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Outdoor build of GA Kodiak, Orange, CA
« Reply #360 on: January 27, 2022, 03:49:07 PM »
The devil is definitely in the details. I got a mount for my house batteries made and installed under the fore bench for the dinette, and got them to the same voltage and made into one via parallel connection. Kilovault recommends commissioning them by fully charging them prior to install, but I don't have a proper charger, so I used my bench power on their recommended charging voltage to match the voltage at 10 amps on both of the batteries before I connected them. Once they were matched voltage-wise connecting them in parallel was uneventful. For now I am going to leave them like that since they are going to be sitting for a bit (they are at 35% SOC). I have been steadily working towards having the whole power system integrated and installed, but it takes a lot of 'take this step' and then order the piece for the next step, scratch head, repeat. Now I am moving on to the power bus bar under the console and integrating the inverter/charger and dc-dc battery charger. I think I have a pretty good idea of how it's all going to go together with the exception of how to wire the shore power, which I may bug my electrician neighbor to help me.

Also been making progress on the shelving and whatnot in the cockpit, I think what I intend to do will turn out useful.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #361 on: January 27, 2022, 04:40:37 PM »

Looking great!  I was just wondering how you've been doing down there ... nice pix!
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #362 on: January 27, 2022, 06:28:12 PM »
Yep! Just quietly cranking away as much as I can find time for. I feel like I am making some good headway in a few areas that are going to be more share worthy here pretty quick, it’s funny how you get to a point in this build where it’s all coming together but it doesn’t really seem like you can capture anything with a picture or a post. Seems like maybe that will change here pretty soon once I get some of these systems more towards finished.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 27, 2022, 07:03:35 PM »
json,

Those batteries are big and awesome looking!  Good to see what you have been up to.

Keep chugging!

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #364 on: January 27, 2022, 08:04:43 PM »
You will love the smart plug, burned through the regular marine plugs every year on my sail boat, but the smart plug has lasted for the past 6 years or so. I have a cord that has a regular 30 amp male and smart plug female for the marina.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 28, 2022, 12:23:35 AM »
It would be awesome if someone compiled a complete how to for wiring   

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 28, 2022, 07:22:56 AM »
Even better a phone app with general layout if a boat that you could modify. There are lots of info if you plan to use solar on DIY Solar Power and here on this site, Dan Boccia has lots of info and pics as you probably know. 
https://diysolarforum.com/forums/marine.10/

I spend - spent a lot of time looking at photos and diagrams of what others have done which is very helpful just time consuming.

There are only so many places on a boat to put wiring and the options are endless which causes brain freeze for me.  hahaaaha...

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 28, 2022, 10:35:48 AM »
Even better a phone app with general layout if a boat that you could modify. There are lots of info if you plan to use solar on DIY Solar Power and here on this site, Dan Boccia has lots of info and pics as you probably know. 
https://diysolarforum.com/forums/marine.10/

I spend - spent a lot of time looking at photos and diagrams of what others have done which is very helpful just time consuming.

There are only so many places on a boat to put wiring and the options are endless which causes brain freeze for me.  hahaaaha...

For some reason, the circuit pix in Dan Boccia's thread (FAQ board) are all broken ... I need to research and fix that ... :(
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #368 on: March 10, 2022, 10:56:18 PM »
I have been working on a dinette table, I laminated some african mahogany to some ply, and decided to inlay the name of the boat into the table in the galley. I am getting a piece of clear plastic to cover the table and am planning to put charts under the plastic for easy access and planning. I thought it was a cool idea and thought I would share. It's not quite done but I think it's going to work out pretty great. I am going to create a lip out of figured walnut to stop spills, drain to center as suggested in the manual.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 11, 2022, 07:07:11 AM »
Wow!  That dinette is sweet!  Do you now sand off the blue stuff and leave behind a beautiful table with 'engraved blue lettering'?  Your boat is really something!

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #370 on: March 11, 2022, 09:56:29 AM »
Yep, that's the plan! The blue mica powder that I added to the epoxy for the fill was pretty heavy and was sinking out, but it actually looks like it all sank into the engraving, so it seems like it worked out. We will see once I take off the surface.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 11, 2022, 11:15:13 AM »
Yep, that's the plan! The blue mica powder that I added to the epoxy for the fill was pretty heavy and was sinking out, but it actually looks like it all sank into the engraving, so it seems like it worked out. We will see once I take off the surface.

Cool, I've seen that done before and it's sweet ... :)

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 11, 2022, 10:17:20 PM »
You are and have a talent for woodworking and its amazing to see what you are doing.  I suck at the artistic side of things.

I am going to check that electrical plug, at first I was sure I would have no need for plugging my boat in.  Things change...

On edit,

Wiring the shore power plug?  I need to check into that.

Ok, found a pretty in depth article.  Posting it for reference only..

https://productimageserver.com/literature/quickGuide/42693QG.pdf#:~:text=Hooking%20up%20to%20shore%20Power%20Remember%20these%20steps,shore%20power%20cable%20at%20the%20dockside%20FIRST.%205.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 10:43:51 PM by Rbob »

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #373 on: March 11, 2022, 10:56:53 PM »
Thanks Rbob! I am not really intending to plug to shore power in a marina so much, but will be glad to have it on those occasions. I am more looking for an easy plug at home to just keep things charged. I have a charger/inverter that's going to be wired up, I have the smart plug installed but not wired yet, all the ac stuff is a bit daunting and I haven't really given it it's time in the sun yet. End goal will be to just throw a cord on it and be ready and charged when I am ready to take the boat out. Bonus that it will hopefully work in a slip or marina.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 12, 2022, 06:08:31 AM »
You are and have a talent for woodworking and its amazing to see what you are doing.  I suck at the artistic side of things.

... I'm more of a CDX plywood kinda guy :D :D :D