Author Topic: Wiper motor wiring  (Read 1879 times)

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
Wiper motor wiring
« on: January 13, 2022, 11:41:30 AM »
I am planning my wiring and I am stumped on this one.  Do I wire the wipers in series or separate runs to the switch?

I am electrically challenged...

on edit,
I should have posted in general discussion...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 11:57:22 AM by Rbob »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Wiper motor wiring
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 01:06:53 PM »

The manual should tell you, but if you have 12 VDC motors, then they're wired to the switch in parallel - the most likely answer.  If they are 6 VDC motors, then they run in series - the least likely answer.  Read your manuals and/or check in with the manufacturer's tech support before committing electrons to copper...
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 02:55:17 PM »
I think I will contact Schmidtt Ongaro for verification.  Wiring diagram is simple, just wire it to a switch.  Nothing about dual wiper setup.

RE: Ongaro Heavy Duty Waterproof 2-Speed Wiper Motor - 1.5" Shaft - 12V (50336)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 04:11:21 PM »

According to that diagram, it's a 12 VDC motor and it shows one motor going to the battery, through a switch.  Looks like motors are wired in parallel from the switch ... noting that the switch and wiring between battery and switch need to be rated for the total maximum ampacity of both motors together.  Again, check with the manufacturer and say "I want to run TWO motors from ONE switch" and see what they say.
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 07:22:49 AM »
I know this won’t help you today, but if your in the question asking mode....Dan in AK had to get a module of sorts to sync the wiper motors.  They were running  at slightly different speeds.   

sprig1

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 07:23:16 AM »
I would read Dans post on his wipers. He tried to control his with switches. But ended up with a synchronizing switch I think. It’s only more money 😀 You probably all ready it.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 08:29:07 AM »
I did purchase a wiper switch (controller) and looking at it the wiring diagram on it its self-explanatory.  I should have looked at it...

« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 01:40:38 PM by Rbob »

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 08:38:55 AM »
Now I feel silly, I received the wiper controller Dec 31st. and did not look at it other than to put it in a pile of electrical stuff I have been acquiring.

Here is the wiring diagram for anyone that may be interested:

On edit, (see attached) I received reply from Ongaro tech support, they supplied a wiring diagram that used diodes and would not require the Marinco controller.  I assume the Marinco controller has diodes to prevent wiper motors from powering each other when in park.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 10:21:18 AM by Rbob »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 12:57:18 PM »

Now yer cookin' on gas!

Nice to see separate outputs for each motor so that you don't have to wonder ...

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 07:50:20 PM »
I’m curious.  Which windshields will you be wiping?

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 10:56:57 PM »
RE: Which windshields will you be wiping?

The port and starboard windshields.