Author Topic: 30 foot Kodiak in Juneau  (Read 35330 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: 30 foot Kodiak in Juneau
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2022, 01:17:44 PM »

Looks great!  And now for ... crawling and laying on the floor, climbing over/under timbers in cramped quarters etc ... LOL.
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2022, 02:40:32 PM »
Very cool! You are ripping right along! Nice work...

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2022, 08:06:28 PM »
WOW this thing is big. got my Jig set up, leveled, and put the shelves on. Fit perfect, less than 1/16 gap where they meet at the bow, and perfect alignment on all molds- thanks Brian and Chuck. glassed the underside of the shelves, and mounted my stem. It is a 70 year old piece of doug fir that was a closet shelf in my old house. Next job is to shape the bow stem, trying to wrap my brain about the instructions for that, will review others build and figure it out.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2022, 08:28:02 PM »
I struggled with the bowstem but I was never good at shaping wood but a strait edge and a powerplane / hand plane you will get there.

Since you have such a nice piece of wood to use as your stem I suggest to practice on a pos 4x4.  (I had to do it twice!)

On page 2 of my build BobC did the best job of fitting a stem I have ever see.

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2022, 09:14:24 PM »
Thanks, was reviewing your build just now. Appreciate your pictures, and thoughtful posts, back at it at 6 AM , off for a week, brother Walt coming up from Montana tomorrow, so hoping to make this thing look like a boat in the next week

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2022, 08:13:01 AM »

Looking great and thanks for the kind words!

Get a 'special' (antique, one from 2021 when the build started, or ...etc) coin and bury it in the epoxy at the base of the stem.  Sailors used to put a coin under a mast for good luck ... we use the epoxy under the stem :)

Shaping the stem ... Try not to think about it too much, but understand and follow one step at a time and it'll work.

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2022, 04:46:24 PM »
Thanks, was reviewing your build just now. Appreciate your pictures, and thoughtful posts, back at it at 6 AM , off for a week, brother Walt coming up from Montana tomorrow, so hoping to make this thing look like a boat in the next week
Lindy, did you find the cd full of pictures in the inside cover of one of the bidders? I think it's in the Kodiak addendum binder. Glad it's all fitting well with a slight change to a mold:) Did you other panels arrive yet?
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2022, 07:24:43 PM »
Chuck,
Thanks for pictures, very helpful, yes parts arrived today- thanks. Got the stem shaped, had to use my secret weapon- Ms Jones to make it pretty. Attempted to hang transom, but a bit heavy for the two of us, so will do tomorrow when my brother arrives.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2022, 08:56:08 PM »
Wow,

That is impressive job fitting the stem!

Hats off to Ms Jones.

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2022, 08:16:24 PM »
Got the transom mounted and glued knee braces in place, glued bottom and stem on, looks great, stringers sucked nicely to bottom. Boat shape and length now is what it is, and looks great to me- 30 feet long. Plan next to put the second layer on bottom tomorrow and hopefully start working on the sides. Nice to have brother Walt here, building boats and drinking Rainier, life doesn't get better!

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2022, 09:03:24 PM »
So cool to see you make progress in leaps and bounds.  Beter than checking the news....

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2022, 07:15:53 AM »

Rainier!?  What happened to the Coors and Billy Beer ... and the Schlitz?  LOL...

Love how you guys do HUGE jobs and just mention it so casually!  Putting on the bottom panel assembly, the transom, and having it all glued together so quickly is amazing!

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2022, 07:28:23 AM »
These kits really fly together.  I’m impressed by the rate ate which your progress is moving.  It’s fun to see it come together. 

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2022, 07:53:20 PM »
Yes,
The kit has made it come together quick so far. Unfortunately running out of kit parts, so soon I will have to go back to a tape measure, batten and a saw, sure progress will slow down then.

Today we got the second bottom glued on. Ran out of fender washers, so used blocks of wood covered with duct tape, hopefully I won't be regretting that move tomorrow when I remove the screws. Got forward end of shelfs planed and added blocks to hang the sides, got my 10 inch skill saw ready for the scarfs I need to do. Hopefully put the sides on tomorrow!

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2022, 08:20:40 PM »
Making it look easy one day at a time, good job.