Author Topic: Great Alaskan Storage Area/ Bay Door Dimensions? Boat tents?  (Read 1273 times)

barrelroll

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Great Alaskan Storage Area/ Bay Door Dimensions? Boat tents?
« on: August 08, 2021, 02:17:34 PM »
I'm in process of building a 24' Tolman though the long term plan is a great Alaskan, possibly a Kodiak. My wife gave the go ahead to get dirt work done for a gravel pad and to buy a boat tent. The way our side yard is it's probably going to require a retaining wall and with boat tents cost I might as well buy one to fit out next boat.

What size bay door width/ height wise should I plan on? How much should I add to the length of the boat to account for outboards and tung of the trailer? I realize a Kodiak is going to require some more width and cabin/ radar selection will change the height some.

I've been looking at wind and snow load rated shelter logics. The front runner right now is a 14'x35'xx15' talll round top SP with an 11' wide x 11'2" Tall door. Any other brands worth looking at? We live in Juneau, Alaska where we get a ton of wind and very heavy wet snow.

sprig1

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Great Alaskan Storage Area/ Bay Door Dimensions? Boat tents?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 07:37:18 PM »
Barrel roll Check out Great Alaskan facts and look at heights and other dimensions.
 I’m at much the same step  as you I’m trying to get a temporary shed built so I can start.

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2021, 08:07:07 PM »
Just measured the height of mine today. Sitting on a new aluminum trailer ( not attached to my truck so maybe higher on the truck hitch) fron concrete floor to top of roof was right at 10'2" My beam with thick rubber rub rails added is right at 9'7" OAL from bow tip (NIC pulpit) 31'4" to longest point on transom. Add what ever ya want for motors hanging off the transom +- 24" This is the Kodiak model. NOTE: this does not include any electronics up on the roof.
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 08:23:00 PM »

I've been looking at wind and snow load rated shelter logics. The front runner right now is a 14'x35'xx15' talll round top SP with an 11' wide x 11'2" Tall door. Any other brands worth looking at? We live in Juneau, Alaska where we get a ton of wind and very heavy wet snow.

My GA is 30’ long, standard width, not counting outboard or trailer tongue. My shop bay is 48’ long and 11.5’ wide. I’m managing but 14’ sounds heavenly. Having space for work benches, tools and a torpedo heater will eat another 10’. 35 will do it but another 5 feet you’ll appreciate. The height sounds fine. Best of luck!
Randy Henry, SILVERTON Oregon
Randy_Henry@msn.com

barrelroll

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 05:16:21 PM »
Thanks for the responses

Last night the wife told me boat tents are ugly, see if the city will let you add a boat bay to the shop. My current shop is 24'x40'x8', it works for the tolman though 8' ceiling is frustrating. It's on floor joists/ pilings so you can't easily get anything in/ out so when the Tolman is done it probably won't go back in. When I get done with this hitch at work I'll have to get out the tape measure to see how big I can go. I'm thinking a minimum of 30' long x 12' wide x 14' tall with a 12' door and dropping the floor of the main shop to slab level at the back of the boat bay would let me back the motors into the current shop.

Has anyone ordered a Great Alaskan sized trailer with a folding tongue?