Author Topic: GA 26 in Homer Alaska  (Read 86120 times)

Dave Collett-Paule

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: GA 26 in Homer Alaska
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2014, 03:38:25 PM »
Brian, the boat is named PAU HANA, which is Hawai'ian for "work is finished."

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2014, 06:21:34 PM »
Awesome name!  We'll have to coordinate a visit with you so my wife and I, maybe my daughter, can come down and visit ...maybe take the boat for a spin (I gladly cover gas and cost of operations when I go out).

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Dave Collett-Paule

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2014, 07:25:41 PM »
Brian, I'll be out of state July 24 through August 5th - family obligations.  Any time other than those dates is good.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2014, 10:55:55 AM »
Brian, I'll be out of state July 24 through August 5th - family obligations.  Any time other than those dates is good.

OK.  Gotta see what my schedule is doing too...

Never did pass on your contact info to the fellow that was interested in contacting you, but will ...been busy as usual around here.  At least our condo remodel is done and the thing's on the market now.  I can finally stop commuting on weekends to do remodeling and instead focus on my own place ...which has gotten behind and also needs to go on the market... sigh, one step at a time.  Gotta make time for time off too though, especially if water is involved...

Thanks,
Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Dave Collett-Paule

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2014, 04:39:57 PM »
I made a fish cleaning/bait rigging work table that is removeable.  Its primary location is as shown in these pics but it can also be mounted on the sides of the fish deck gunwales.  The pics are from the dry-fit before I glassed and filleted it together.

Credit goes to Kevin Beddoe for the idea.  This isn't exactly like his, but the idea came from him.

Cheers,

Dave

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2014, 10:29:49 AM »
My beautiful wife and I visited Dave and his family this last weekend in Homer ...had a great time with them and with seeing the boat too.  Dave's done a great job on the boat and should be proud (Thank you to my wife Carol for the pictures!):

(I'm the fat one with the jarhead haircut... haha)

...So salty, it rusts your eyes out just looking at it!

Brian
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 09:55:18 PM by Brian.Dixon »

Dave Collett-Paule

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2014, 02:06:59 PM »
Hey Brian, Thanks for those pics!  I took advantage of a rainy day and totalled up my receipts...attached PDF.  I know I could have saved some of the costs for things like seats, electronics etc., but it came in about where I expected.

Cheers,

Dave

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2014, 10:51:48 AM »
Wow ...more expensive that I'd guess, but then again, in looking at your price list alone ...it's obvious that you went first class across the board ...and from what I saw in/on the boat in person, I'd say it paid off.  It's a beautiful boat that you've got there.  It'll outlast you and all your grandkids...

Brian

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2014, 09:00:52 AM »
Oh heck I agree Brian, the boat will out last us all.....

Just looking over your costs Dave, you know, a boats just a hole in the tide one pours money into huh?
Not waving....... Drowning!

Dave Collett-Paule

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2014, 07:16:54 PM »
Right you are, Ed.  BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand.  Having said that, there are very few things that I would do differently if I were starting over with this boat, and none of them would have saved any money anyway.

Did I mention I love this boat?

Cheers,

Dave in Homer AK

ChiefD

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2014, 01:22:07 PM »
Beautiful job Dave! Love everything about your boat, stunning craftsmanship.
Looked over your cost, cringed at the engine cost.
Every time I look at marine engine prices I think I should have been born a sailor! LOL
Derrick

Dave Collett-Paule

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2014, 12:37:26 PM »
Yes, the Hondas are shockingly expensive, but worth it IMO.  Also keep in mind these are end-of-the-road-system Alaska costs.  Everything is more here than in the lower 48 by as much as 10%.  Hell, gasoline is $4.40 a gallon (that's $1.16 US per litre, Ed).

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2014, 05:12:00 PM »
Speaking of which, Dave C-P in Homer took me out for sea trials on his Great Alaskan last Friday and I can't say enough positive about the boat.  All I can say is man!  I'm addicted and wish that boat were mine!  Dave did such a beautiful job on it, that it just makes you feel good clear through to be in the boat, and when you operate the boat and stand behind that helm ...well, ....addicted is all I can say!  That boat is a real first-class ride!  The boat performs well in the big mixed-seas mess that we get around here, showing no tendency to bow-steer, up- or down-swell, and maneuvers on a dime.  You will NOT notice when the boat goes on plane unless you are very specifically paying attention and trying to sense it happening ...the boat just gets up and GOES!  Did I mention that "I LOVE THIS BOAT"?  LOL ...now I know why Dave says that all the time!  I think the GA is going to become a popular boat in Alaska... 

Thanks, Dave!!

Beautiful day on Kachemak Bay, Alaska

Is your boat too small for radar?  Of course not!

Happy pizza-fest at Dave's house after the sea trials... :)  Kudos to Dave's wife ...who made the super pizzas...

Easygoing

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 02, 2014, 11:31:12 AM »

Brian

Is that some reverse chine, or just an optical illusion?

Dave Collett-Paule

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: September 02, 2014, 01:24:21 PM »
Good eye, Easygoing.  The answer is "sort of."  The chines are flat, but the secondary spray rails are square with the hull so that they lean downward for their 3/4" of thickness, creating a miniature reverse.  I also ran them all the way to the stern so they protect the chine.