Author Topic: 28 GA in Pagosa Springs colorado  (Read 93825 times)

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: 28 GA in Pagosa Springs colorado
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2019, 02:55:12 PM »
Brian how can I send you videos for your fb page

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2019, 05:20:00 AM »
Brian how can I send you videos for your fb page

Good question... I'll have to look into it.  What i've done in the past is to upload videos to YouTube and then share from there - It lets you share to FaceBook (but I would have to share yours so it'd show on the Great Alaskan FB page)

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2019, 02:19:39 PM »
 I’ve been told that this is standard bolt pattern for outboards. True or not

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2019, 08:28:02 PM »
Brian can you tell me how to measure a 28 ft boat I assume it is the very tip of bow to bottom of transom?

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2019, 06:25:30 AM »
Brian can you tell me how to measure a 28 ft boat I assume it is the very tip of bow to bottom of transom?

Yes, length overall doesn't include things like lights, anchors, motors or motor brackets or motor legs on sterndrives or props, and railing ... but does include rubrails, bulwarks, and other items that more or less provide shape to the hull itself are included.  That said, you measure from the furthermost point of the hull horizontally back to the aftmost limit of the hull.  If authorities want to measure your boat, they'll drop a plumb bob off the bow and stern and measure the distance between the points.  Same with width and the State Trooper who thinks you're over 8-1/2 feet wide with no permit!  Plumb bobs....

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2019, 07:16:57 AM »
I’ve been told that this is standard bolt pattern for outboards. True or not

Yes, that is the standard outboard hole pattern for any motor that would go on these boats - but if you're going to mount a motor from the early 1980s or earlier, double check - not all motors from the pre-1980 era have standardized on this mounting pattern.  Most motors/brackets have a series of holes for the top bolts and slots for the bottom bolts which allow you to adjust the motor up/down an inch at a time.  I don't drill holes until I have the motor and I like to double check that the top holes don't end up too low for the motor.

bd

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2019, 06:58:09 AM »
I am not sure if you have a solution for this Djeffrey, but I was thinking on how to make a flat surface for mounting the main. My initial thinking was to laminate a 12x16" piece front and back aligned with the top and on center, and then use a router to cut it flat. That got me thinking that maybe I wouldn't like the ridge from doing this on the outside, so I started contemplating laminating a whole new layer on the outside and then routing a flat spot in that big enough for the motor. Doing it that way would allow the glass to lay flat when sheathing it. I wonder if I would even need another layer though or if I have significant thickness from laminating 4x12mm together.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2019, 08:10:37 AM »
You only need mounting surfaces right?  Just a fairly thin block that's wide enough to cover top and bottom motor mount holes on one side of the mounting pattern, one block for each side, a couple of degrees of taper on the back to match the curve?  Epoxy it in place, use big washers or an aluminum plate to distribute motor loads?

bd

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2019, 09:21:03 AM »
You only need mounting surfaces right?  Just a fairly thin block that's wide enough to cover top and bottom motor mount holes on one side of the mounting pattern, one block for each side, a couple of degrees of taper on the back to match the curve?  Epoxy it in place, use big washers or an aluminum plate to distribute motor loads?

bd

Right, ya, that's an option too. Probably best that I don't overthink every single thing so I end of finishing at some point. :)

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2019, 10:01:58 AM »
Json. I was thinking like you of putting on a slab of 1/2 ply and planning flat. The idea Brian put out would work as well, but I like a challenge . Hell I did put a nice round ass on the old girl, might as well give her a bikini to go with it.😂😂😂😂

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2019, 10:30:28 AM »
Json. I was thinking like you of putting on a slab of 1/2 ply and planning flat. The idea Brian put out would work as well, but I like a challenge . Hell I did put a nice round ass on the old girl, might as well give her a bikini to go with it.😂😂😂😂

Hahaha.. I was thinking what would look the sharpest and definitely not afraid of the challenge, but at some point I am going to have to make choices between sexier work and slaying some of the 200+lb bluefin that have been hanging around here for the last few years. If you do it post deets and pictures for sure, I am probably going to chew on it for a minute and figure out if I want to invest the time or not while I work on getting the keel upside down.

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2019, 11:03:31 AM »
I will keep you posted. I would love to hit those tuna as well. I know nothing about it but have friends that have been over there a lot.

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2019, 08:16:51 PM »
Brian, can I use stainless screws on the transom? Having trouble finding long bronze ones

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2019, 08:21:44 PM »
Getting the transom cut and fitted.

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2019, 10:40:22 PM »