Author Topic: Perko door handle  (Read 285 times)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Perko door handle
« on: February 06, 2024, 10:07:16 PM »
I installed a Perko door handle with locking deadbolt on my PH door.  The lock tumbler has pulled out with the key.  Anyone have any suggestions on how to repair it?   I tried to peen the outer edge of the casting, but it didn?t work.  I cannot even tell what held it together to start with?

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Re: Perko door handle
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2024, 09:48:43 PM »
Perko sent me replacement to fix my PH door lock set.   No trouble at all, just had to wait a bit.  I guess we?ll find out how resistant to heat Alexseal paint is.  It was sealed on with 4200 or 5200.  I probably won?t do that again.
  For those of you with these Perko lock sets?. They need to be kept lubricated.  With what I?m not sure.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2024, 06:50:04 AM »

Perko sells a lot of stuff of 'adequate quality', but they aren't selling Cadillacs.  I'm happy enough with their quality and enjoy their broad spectrum of products.  For lube, there are only so many things out there ... I've had very good luck with CorrosionX products on weather-exposed locks and hinges etc - Use ReelX or GunX.  Silicon lube is nice, but needs to be refreshed more often  I like it because it's clean and dries up, leaving behind the silicon lube.
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2024, 02:54:31 PM »
Todd, both 4200 and 5200 are adhesives. 5200 was developed to glue decks down to hulls in production boat-building. On our boats, I see absolutely no need to use 5200 anywhere, and I only use 4200 for items like gluing on mounting boards to install a bunch of electrical products rather than screwing directly into the hull. For a sealant, I have used a variety and have come to really enjoy using Pettit's Anchortech Advanced Hybrid Sealant. It is holding up very well to UV, salt, freezing, is paintable, and can be applied down to 20F, and finally, it's reasonably priced. This is my go-to for sealing deck hardware, windows, and things like your door hardware.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2024, 03:08:55 PM »
I didn?t see any other similar products for the PH door except the Perko stuff at that time.  It is definitely not a Cadillac.  As for the Anchortech I need to give it a try

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2024, 04:14:14 PM »

Pettit's been upgrading their paint selection over the years too, and have some premium formulations available... not just the good ol' EZ-Poxy
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2024, 09:11:46 AM »
I looked again yesterday and don?t see any Cadillac options for a locking door set.  I guess I?m stuck with Perko

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2024, 07:54:20 PM »
I looked again yesterday and don?t see any Cadillac options for a locking door set.  I guess I?m stuck with Perko

Well ... I suspect you're right.  I wonder if there are other industries, other than the marine industry, where weather-proof door sets might be available?  KInda like how some people have used windshield wiper systems that were actually for tractor windows.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2024, 04:03:46 PM »
I?ve seen some RV type that don?t really float my boat. I do know that the even the rv style door handles on my previously owned camper and trailers had lasted longer than I?ve been using the boat.  Having said that I don?t believe the cast aluminum stuff will stand the salt.  It?s the pot metal guts that failed.   There really isn?t much holding them together.  I had a notion to see if I could get a solid brass key made.  Brass is a lot more lubricating than steel on steel, or pot metal or whatever is inside the tumbler portion.  Or find a cheap something that gives the illusion of security and buy it in bulk!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2024, 05:27:52 PM »
I did an extremely brief search at Seattle Marine ... I see a lot of Perko, some Sea Dog (same quality as Perko), but I do see some SS or chromed brass options? 

https://www.seamar.com/products?pSearch=latch%20catch%20door

I took a look at Hamilton Marine and the options were about the same as Seattle Marine.  I would hazard a guess that if seamar.com doesn't have it, then there are likely no other options out there.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2024, 07:58:38 AM »
Once I took a look at the new piece to replace the broken one I saw how it is put together.  I simply repaired the old one and filed away the new one real simple with a brass punch. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2024, 05:55:42 PM »
Cool!  Glad to see you got it fixed!  This info will help someone else ...