Author Topic: GA 26 in Homer Alaska  (Read 85879 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: GA 26 in Homer Alaska
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2015, 08:28:26 AM »
I love looking at your work.  May I ask for the cost of the windows?  Thanks.  Vincent
See post #81 of this thread for a breakdown of his costs. Windows & hatches were $3,181.56.

I'm thankful that guys like Dave post this sort of info - lots of small items that you might forget add up and can shock the budget. I only have $1,000 in my budget for hydraulic steering but Dave has $1,700 (maybe he has an autopilot pump in there?) - it's a great reality check that you're not going to get away with $15,000 hull trailer/$15,000 engine = $30,000 complete as some people have touted.

Yes and no... You can certainly get along pretty economically if you want.  I'm sure that Dave's numbers include every detail, e.g. the steering system plus steering wheel etc are all in that $1700, not just the hydraulic steering system itself.  But on the other hand, in the good-better-best department, Dave always went for the best ...a real first class job start to finish.  That adds cost, and boats can indeed be built fairly simply... even if just at first, and then added to/improved over time.  That's what I like about homebuilt boats ...you can pay as you go, get in the water slightly prematurely if you must, and then refine things over the next several years ...upholstery, heaters, more/better gear, new motors or trailers instead of used etc.

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Dave Collett-Paule

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: March 18, 2015, 01:52:12 PM »
I love looking at your work.  May I ask for the cost of the windows?  Thanks.  Vincent
See post #81 of this thread for a breakdown of his costs. Windows & hatches were $3,181.56.

I'm thankful that guys like Dave post this sort of info - lots of small items that you might forget add up and can shock the budget. I only have $1,000 in my budget for hydraulic steering but Dave has $1,700 (maybe he has an autopilot pump in there?) - it's a great reality check that you're not going to get away with $15,000 hull trailer/$15,000 engine = $30,000 complete as some people have touted.

Yes and no... You can certainly get along pretty economically if you want.  I'm sure that Dave's numbers include every detail, e.g. the steering system plus steering wheel etc are all in that $1700, not just the hydraulic steering system itself.  But on the other hand, in the good-better-best department, Dave always went for the best ...a real first class job start to finish.  That adds cost, and boats can indeed be built fairly simply... even if just at first, and then added to/improved over time.  That's what I like about homebuilt boats ...you can pay as you go, get in the water slightly prematurely if you must, and then refine things over the next several years ...upholstery, heaters, more/better gear, new motors or trailers instead of used etc.

Brian

The window costs included $800 for the forehatch, I think it was a Lewmar.  The hydraulic steering costs included the steering wheel, Seastar system, and custom hoses professionally installed by my local hydraulic shop.  In most cases I went with the best value systems, that is, best return for the money spent.  For example I could have spent hundreds more on Diamond Sea Glaze windows but the middle-of-the-line Wynnes were a better value and work just fine. Another example is electrical components.  I used only tinned wire and connectors, heat-shrinked everything, and used Blue Sea components.  Could have saved a bunch but I went for longevity.

Cheers,

Dave

Vicent59

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: March 18, 2015, 07:21:03 PM »
Thanks Dave and Starbright55.  My budget is much smaller than Dave.  After I talked to Pacific Trailer (quoted over $9,000 for a galvanize), I went ahead to buy a used trailer for only $1000.  My new Honda BF225 cost less than $14,000 but I had to drive to Port Angeles, WA to get it.  Dave's windows look nice and I will spend money on those.  Thanks.  Vincent

Vicent59

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: April 16, 2015, 09:22:07 AM »
Hello Dave
What kind of wood did you use to make spray rail? 
Thanks.  Vincent

continuing...

Dave Collett-Paule

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: April 16, 2015, 11:41:28 AM »
Vincent, I used clear vertical grain (CVG) douglas fir for the spray rails and white oak for the bottom strakes. The spray rails are a 3-piece lamination that I laid out on a work table in the second picture.

Dave Collett-Paule

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #140 on: April 16, 2015, 11:49:45 AM »
Better pic of the spray rail.

AKDoug

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #141 on: May 18, 2015, 12:35:02 AM »
Dave- Is there any chance you could post some photos of your interior and cuddy area? Thanks in advance.

Dave Collett-Paule

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: May 18, 2015, 02:10:13 PM »
Sure, Doug, here are a few.  Pretty bare bones except for the sliding Mariner seats.  The head is also where I put the heater, a clothes hanging rod and a rack for the halibut rods and harpoon, the swab bucket, etc.

Easygoing

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 18, 2015, 03:31:35 PM »
Dave, how do the Mariner's work while standing at the helm?  I have the same seats in my current boat, only I can't stand at the helm due to the design.  Does the adjustment knob hit your tail bone?

Dave Collett-Paule

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: May 18, 2015, 06:08:39 PM »
No, I slide the seat back to stand at the helm and lean my butt against the front of the seat.   It's the same height as a leaning post would be.  In other words, I made the seat box so that my eyes are at the same level sitting or standing.  Hope that made sense.  The seat is about 3 feet above the deck.

AKDoug

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: May 20, 2015, 12:18:33 AM »
Thank you so much. That settles it. If I ever get going, I am going to go 28'.  I'd like to have seating for 6 so I'll probably go with a 2' longer cabin and that should give me what I need.  I was down your way last week for a quick trip with a buddy on his 22' aluminum boat and 5 people and a Chessy dog. It worked, but it gets kind of tight.

Dave Collett-Paule

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #146 on: May 21, 2015, 06:37:58 PM »
Doug, next time you're in Homer give me a call.  You need one of these boats.  399-3201.

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
« Reply #147 on: May 22, 2015, 09:34:03 AM »
Dave, what paint did you use on the interior?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Dave Collett-Paule

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #148 on: May 22, 2015, 12:59:59 PM »
I used System 3 WR LPU over System 3 primer.  Stock colors.  Hull is Mercer green and the topsides and interior are San Juan tan.

http://www.systemthree.com/store/pc/SilverTip-Yacht-Primer-c19.htm

http://www.systemthree.com/store/pc/WR-LPU-Topcoat-c29.htm

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 18, 2018, 09:21:28 PM »
Hi Dave, finished your build thread.  Very nice boat.  Looking through your poor is not obvious to me how your decks sit on top of the fuel tank flanges when they sit on top of the stringers??   Can you take a moment and clarify please.  Thanks Todd