Author Topic: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build  (Read 224812 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build
« Reply #465 on: August 03, 2019, 06:26:44 AM »

Looking good and doing a great job ... Say, that's awfully pretty wood that your boat/deck/superstructure is made from.  Is it Okoume?  Maybe you should finish the whole boat with varnish :D

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 03, 2019, 08:23:56 AM »
Todd,
Leaning towards Motion Windows.  They were 7 weeks out last I talked to them.  Diamond Seaglaze was way more money and even though they dropped their price from the original bid 15% I think I will pass driving into Canada to get them.  Motion Windows is about 1 1/2 hour away.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 03, 2019, 08:29:26 AM »
Brian,

Yes, Okoume, it is about 1/2 the weight and twice as much $

I did not show the door jamb detail, the door is 1-1/4" thick, so I built up the jamb, it is not 5" wide like the drawing shows:

Looking good and doing a great job ... Say, that's awfully pretty wood that your boat/deck/superstructure is made from.  Is it Okoume?  Maybe you should finish the whole boat with varnish :D

Brian

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: August 03, 2019, 01:27:08 PM »
I messed up a couple boards, sometimes I am retarded....

So came in and took a break and looked at weatherstrips and decided to go with trim-lok. Just need to make the 1/4 inch border without screwing up this time.

Trim-lok :

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 04, 2019, 06:58:58 AM »
Good choice.  The tube-type door seal works best (versus foam or other ideas).  It's forgiving and works.  :)

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 09, 2019, 08:45:52 PM »
Even though I am in house remodel mode, I did get the aft cabin bulkhead pretty much finished, need to do some final fitting before installing hinges on door and bulkhead.

I put 6oz tape on the opening and 3 layers on the bottom and added the 1/4" to capture the bubble seal. 

more pics:

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 10, 2019, 08:08:29 AM »

I'm glad you're making progress in spite of those house duties ... don't I know how that goes!  All that work you're putting into the door, the well thought out details and the effort you're making to make sure the door frame and door are flat and square, is going to pay off.  With the seal around the door, you'll cut a lot of noise - probably will have the quietestl GA pilot house out there!

Brian

First Draft

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 11, 2019, 05:30:08 PM »
What's going on with that hatch directly below the bulkhead?

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 12, 2019, 07:50:18 AM »
That was poor planning on my part.  I will have to build a "chase" over it which will serve a dual purpose. 

First Draft

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 15, 2019, 12:37:32 PM »
I can appreciate the "poor planning" part extremely well.  It seems that I can spend hours upon hours of trying to plan where to lay out something and I always run into a similar issue.  Hell, I don't make many more boo-boos if I just "wing it" and not spend any time planning.
As I like to say in my home repair business: "Measure twice, cut once, then beat it into place with a hammer!"

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: August 15, 2019, 12:44:44 PM »
speaking of measure twice and cut once, what do you think of my carpenter/s rafter cutting ability?  I fired him way too late, I discoverd all of the rafters look very similar, which is wny I am not making much boat progress...

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 15, 2019, 12:50:26 PM »
I received my roll of door weather-strip, it fits great, just need to get hinges and door installed.

Brian, not sure I need to glass where the door seal is installed.  Can I just omit glass where the seal fits?

Bob

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 15, 2019, 03:00:02 PM »
 Now that you have your gasket in hand how do you think that would work with a slider.  Looks good

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 15, 2019, 03:44:06 PM »
Slider door is different, this is more of a compression seal, I am not sure how slider seals work.

First Draft

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 16, 2019, 10:52:54 AM »
Yeah, that's a pretty bad rafter job Rbob.

On your boat - I, personally, would glass every last piece of exposed wood, whether it's on that door or not.