Author Topic: GA 28 built by Kachemak Skiffs Wasilla, AK  (Read 67099 times)

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: GA 28 built by Kachemak Skiffs Wasilla, AK
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2019, 10:06:25 PM »
Ha! Nope, I'll leave the book-writing to Nigel Calder's capable hands. If I wasn't so buried in solar work I'd be installing nav lights, but I'll get there very soon. The progress is motivating.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2019, 07:43:23 AM »
Ha! Nope, I'll leave the book-writing to Nigel Calder's capable hands. If I wasn't so buried in solar work I'd be installing nav lights, but I'll get there very soon. The progress is motivating.

Cool  .... you adding solar to the home front or the boat?  Sailboaters have lots of neat ideas for power generation 'off the grid' ....  fun to look into.

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2019, 12:11:40 PM »
I work for Anchorage Solar and sunny days in late March make the phones ring off the hook, so it's a "work" thing...already have solar on the house, and yes, planning solar for the boat, it's a no brainer for all the camping I plan to do. Go skiing and trickle-charge the batteries while the shrimp pots soak. Triple win-win-win!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2019, 04:31:25 PM »
I work for Anchorage Solar and sunny days in late March make the phones ring off the hook, so it's a "work" thing...already have solar on the house, and yes, planning solar for the boat, it's a no brainer for all the camping I plan to do. Go skiing and trickle-charge the batteries while the shrimp pots soak. Triple win-win-win!

Triple win!  I like that!

bd

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2019, 08:11:03 AM »
Thanks Dan, for sharing!

Now go get that thing wet and post pix of blood on the deck!  :D  All those fish are swimming right past you unmolested and that ain't right!

Brian

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2019, 09:58:07 PM »

Thanks, Dan.  I like your careful detailed approach ... and it'll help others!

Brian

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2019, 11:14:51 PM »
Making progress on the wiring. Most of the cable runs are done and now I'm working on connections in the field and the various panels. Was struggling with labeling, and today upgraded significantly to the Brady label maker, for which you can buy various sizes of heat shrink cartridges, making labeling almost fun and way faster than anything else I've tried. Highly recommended. It makes labeling easy enough that you'll actually do it, which will be a great help down the road. Here's the machine:

https://www.amazon.com/Brady-BMP21-PLUS-Handheld-Printer-Multi-Line/dp/B00IELD1O4/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3T5514EBJXZFC&keywords=brady+label+maker&qid=1559884035&s=gateway&sprefix=brady%2Caps%2C233&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

The photo is of the lighting distribution panel showing the labels - everything else is still a mess! Was very nice to see all the lights come on and the dimmer switches work perfectly, allowing dimming of all the cabin lights except the deck lights.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2019, 06:29:09 AM »
Boy ... it's tough to imagine how anyone will do a better than the bristol work that you're doing on your boat, Dan.  The wiring looks great (LOVE those nice neat labels!) and it's awesome that you're sharing you circuit diagrams with everyone ... wiring tends to be one of the more challenging parts of the build, so help like this is fantastic!

Brian

First Draft

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2019, 09:53:16 AM »
Where's the wiring for the Air Conditioner?    ;D

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2019, 11:27:19 AM »
Thanks Brian. Ha! Maybe I'll wire in a heat pump in the future.

You want to know what's hard? Windshield wiper wiring. What a pain in the butt!! Controls are either very expensive, cumbersome/unintuitive, or a combo of both. I'll update my diagram once I get it figured out, possibly today. When I was having my bow railing made up, Dave at Heavy Weather Boats commented that wipers are one of the most difficult parts of outfitting a boat. I believe it now. More on that later, I definitely have advice to share.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2019, 12:07:15 PM »
Thanks Brian. Ha! Maybe I'll wire in a heat pump in the future.

You want to know what's hard? Windshield wiper wiring. What a pain in the butt!! Controls are either very expensive, cumbersome/unintuitive, or a combo of both. I'll update my diagram once I get it figured out, possibly today. When I was having my bow railing made up, Dave at Heavy Weather Boats commented that wipers are one of the most difficult parts of outfitting a boat. I believe it now. More on that later, I definitely have advice to share.

Renn once said to me, "One manual wiper on the captain's side .... who needs more than that?  :D

Brian

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2019, 06:48:15 PM »
Thanks so much for the pics Dan. Post as many as you can please, wiring is a black hole for me at this point.

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2019, 11:17:05 PM »
More wiring progress. Got the fuel gauges to work only when either kicker or main engine ignition are on, heater fan works, battery monitor works, cabin and deck lights work, fridge works. It's a nice feeling when a device you installed several months ago works when you finally get it wired. Second detailed photo shows cabin port and SB dimmer switches from Marine Beam. Next time I do an instrument dash, I'm going to cut the plywood out, and use a piece of 1/8" aluminum powder-coated. Working with 1/2" plywood is a hassle since many things only fit a 3/16" panel or less unless you choose very carefully. Re-worked my cabin wiring diagram once again.

It's interesting to me that there are several references that focus on how to design a good electrical system, with some installation tips (Calder, etc.) but nothing I can find on how to efficiently do the installation. There is definitely a sequence that works best, and a handful of tools and material selections that make life way easier. There's a book waiting to be written....
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 12:47:44 AM by Dan Boccia »

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2019, 01:24:48 AM »
Finished the cabin electrical wiring finally. Deleted the cabin wiring diagrams above, replacing them with the diagram below, that now includes wiring for running/anchor lights through a double-pole double-throw (DPDT) switch. Also deleted a photo that came in sideways. I'll take some pictures of the finished installation in the next few days.

Here are my thoughts on the electrical system from what I have, in some cases painfully, learned:

1. Every single current-carrying wire should have circuit protection, period. Battery-mounted fuses make this easy to do these days, ABYC exceptions for main battery cables be damned. Be sure the circuit protection is appropriate for the smallest wire in that circuit. Know how to use ampacity and voltage loss tables when sizing wires, and be conservative (size wires up when in doubt).

2. Do your wire and equipment layout/design first before running out to buy equipment, wire, etc. Understand how things are going to be wired. There's a lot of time to be saved, and safety to be gained, by doing your layout ahead of time. I posted my diagrams for a starting point/inspiration.

3. Understand batteries - the different types, how to size them, how they like to be charged. Read Nigel Calder's book and understand it. Another huge time saver. Note that AGM batteries being charged directly from an outboard is not ideal and will likely result in reduced battery life.

4. Be sure to bond any aluminum fuel tanks and tank fill fittings to your common neutral bus.

5. Windshield wiper installation is a complex and shockingly expensive sub-project. I highly recommend the Roca W12 wiper motors over any of the junk from AFI, Marinco, etc. The Roca motors are quiet, and feature super nice infinitely adjustable sweep that is simple to set up, maximizing the sweep area on your window. I tried to avoid the synchronized controls in favor of the Cole-Hersey knob-type controls, but regret this. Get the synchronized controller with its switch, which I may ultimately end up doing. Having 3 wipers out of sync can drive you bonkers, and my attempt to get the outside wipers in sync manually failed - now the outside wipers really only function on interval, which should get me by for awhile. Get the control!

6. For most common anchor/all around top lights and side running lights, you'll need a DPDT switch that allows the forward-facing top light to turn on when you want running lights OR you want anchor light.

7. In general, the best sequence of work is to mount ALL of your electrical equipment, roughly run ALL of your wires a little long (all of them labeled at both ends), locate wire anchors (typically zip ties with anchor-blocks) then either start terminations on the field wiring and work toward the central panel, or vise-versa.

8. Have a way to label the wires worked out. I ended up with the Brady labeling machine that prints on heat shrink and love that solution. You can also use a cheap $25 label maker and use non-adhesive low-temp clear heat shrink to cover the labels. I could not find the appropriate clear heat shrink locally.

That's enough for now.

Moving on to the electronics installation now.....more opportunities to drill holes in the boat!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2019, 09:26:22 AM »
Thanks, Dan!  I REALLY appreciate all that you've gone through and how you're sharing it for others to benefit from.  I'm going to cut-n-paste your info into a FAQ file and probably add a couple of notes ... like bonding also needs to go all the way to the motors where the zincs are, a full reference to Nigel's book, a note on excess 'service loop' wire and drip-loops, ignition proofness, the purpose of branch circuit protection versus device protection, sizing of neutrals etc ... just a few tidbits to polish off the topic enough for someone to get started.  The electrical stuff AND electronics are always a challenging subject.

Brian