Author Topic: Help me choose!  (Read 2237 times)

Trevor L

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Help me choose!
« on: January 18, 2021, 03:34:01 PM »
Hi,

New here. We live in Ontario Canada. Returned in March from an 8 month sailing trip from Kingston, ON. to Bahamas and back. Just finished building a new house and are hoping to find the right trailerable boat for future adventures.  I have reviewed many plans and was considering either a Blue Jacket 28 or a Outer bank 26 (which I think only one has been launched so far).  I have now come across the Great Alaskan and It seems much like what we are looking for. I have purchased the plans and browsed through some of the forum posts, but If you can tell me why I might consider a Great Alaskan over the BJ 28 or OB26. I would appreciate your input.  We do plan for some offshore travels, mostly costal, maybe Bahamas/Caribbean. Important to us >Safety, fuel economy, accommodations and storage for extended trips, trailerability.

Thanks,
Trevor

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Help me choose!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 03:45:11 PM »
Trevor, welcome, I will let others speak to why a GA over the other boats but I believe the gentleman who built that OB26 is active on here, so you may want to talk to him a bit further for specifics on that boat if you haven't otherwise been in contact with him... https://www.glacierboats.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=3887

Trevor L

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 09:30:15 PM »
Thanks Json. I have had contact with the builder of the OB26, which sounds like a great boat, but only one has been built so far. I am a first time builder so I also am looking for a design with a lot of support from other builders. The Bluejacket boats seem very nice as well with what appears to be a good following of builders. I have been doing some more reading in the forums and it is quite impressive and inspiring to see the workmanship from GA builders.  Obviously most on this site would recommend the GA to me. I would like to know what features made them decide on the Great Alaskan. Two things that stand out for me is the offshore capability and what appears to be a very extensive construction manual and set of plans, which is great for a new builder such as myself.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 07:33:21 AM »

Just a couple of points of information on the Great Alaskan, then I'll back out and let satisfied customers do all the talking - but feel free to ask me whatever you like as well. 

The Great Alaskan was designed specifically for:
  • Being simple to build versus boats such as the OB26 (this generally also means cheaper to build)
  • Offshore seaworthiness (the Bluejacket designer does not make this claim - the GA's semi-dory flair and higher bow is better than the flat-sided OB26)
  • Efficiency (burns less fuel per hour than any other boat in its class ... that I know of)

OK ...
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 06:18:49 PM »
Well I'm not the best reference since I asm still building. But I have had a Tolman 21' 4" Wide Body out in some pretty rough seas in the PNW. NEVER have I felt I was in over my head. I was even trying to slide down a swell into the backside of next trying to see if the boat would broach, not even close. The design is so sweet!! That said the GA design is far superior to a widebody and more seaworthy than the larger Jumbo IMHO. Based on those experiences I expect the GA will be the last boat in its class I will ever own. I am building the Kodiak model. I did look up the OB26 and from my experience the GA will be SO MUCH simpler and faster to build. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 06:19:14 PM by Grady300 »
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Trevor L

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 12:23:25 PM »
Brian,

Thank you for your input. I agree the GA seems like a much simpler build then the OB26, and I have been reading more through the construction manual, and the step by step instructions will certainly help give confidence for the first time builder. Its a great looking boat!

Grady300,

I would love to build the Kodiak model, but we need to stay under the 8'6" trailering limit. Your build is looking great.  I really like your transom/swim platform design.  Looking forward to following your progress. 

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 07:12:45 PM »
Brian,

Thank you for your input. I agree the GA seems like a much simpler build then the OB26, and I have been reading more through the construction manual, and the step by step instructions will certainly help give confidence for the first time builder. Its a great looking boat!

Grady300,

I would love to build the Kodiak model, but we need to stay under the 8'6" trailering limit. Your build is looking great.  I really like your transom/swim platform design.  Looking forward to following your progress.
Trevor, Yep I get the trailer thing for most. Thanks for the comments! The whole euro transom has been in my head a long time, pretty cool to see it in person. Sure took a lot of work, I bet I have a good 100 hrs in it which included the scuppers, swim ladder-step, motor well. By the end of the weekend I will have right at 1000 hours in the build. I've been tracking my time.
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2021, 10:42:47 AM »
Hi Trevor. I'm four months into my build. Except for a couple of GlenL "canyaks" I haven't built a boat before. I've done a lot of wood working and some construction, lots of large scale model aircraft and even a violin. Based on that collection of tools, I only had to buy a few things and reconfigure my shop to get the project going. I am virtually copying Chuck's Euro transom design - might as well let others do the hard work - and Brian has been great answering questions within hours of my posting. The instructions are great though I do have to read some sections a few times to make sure I'm not jumping ahead or making incorrect assumptions. Living in Oregon, we have a lot of aluminum boats with designs similar to the GA, and I'd never be able to afford one of those OR buy the gas to run it. So this is a great solution and a whole lot of fun. Plus, it will be completely customized to my needs. As I have a 20' Thunderjet outboard now, I have a decent idea of what I want in a boat and this is it, plus I have multiple builders in my area I can scam ideas and inspiration from. Anyway, welcome to the site and I hope you choose a GA, just because it'll be more good ideas brought to the design. Welcome.. - Randy H
Randy Henry, SILVERTON Oregon
Randy_Henry@msn.com