Author Topic: 28 GA in Pagosa Springs colorado  (Read 95030 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: 28 GA in Pagosa Springs colorado
« Reply #195 on: December 12, 2019, 05:47:04 AM »
<snip>
Rbob, I ran the back of the boat by Brian before I did it. I was going to put the door in the side and he suggested I put it there. I must admit I really put extra glass under the swim step and I feel that the platform is a very solid box to mount the engine to. Cheers!!

Yup ...The door shouldn't interrupt structure that the motor depends on, e.g. motor boards.  Where shown above is a good solution.
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 30, 2019, 07:32:38 PM »
Did your novelbee bow eyes show up?   I’m having trouble getting mine shipped

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #197 on: January 02, 2020, 10:17:10 AM »
Did your novelbee bow eyes show up?   I’m having trouble getting mine shipped

I ordered these on amazon prime a couple months ago (I think same ones as djeffrey has) and they arrived in the regular expected time, they currently say they have 2 left in stock... They are really beefy, maybe overkill, but seem like they should get the job done nicely. They are also 304 stainless so more prone to salt corrosion than 316.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TWWTCH6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 02, 2020, 01:02:04 PM »
I think the plans call for 3/8”.  The long eyes are really hard to find.  It looks like mine did ship after a week.   Amazon is nothing like it use to be.  I should have them middle of next week

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 02, 2020, 03:50:00 PM »
I think the plans call for 3/8”.  The long eyes are really hard to find.  It looks like mine did ship after a week.   Amazon is nothing like it use to be.  I should have them middle of next week

If you can't get long enough shanks, get the longest ones you can.  Inside the bow, use a spade or Forstner bit to drill an oversize hole that's big enough for the U-bolt and washers.  Drill deep enough so that the shanks will extend into the hole enough to take a washer and nut.  Coat the bejeebies  out of everything with epoxy, then install the U-bolts from outside ... and on the inside, tighten them in with a washer and nut.  Use caulk when you install.  In other words, buy the longest shank 3/8" stainless (316 is best) U-bolts that you can find, then countersink on the inside of the stem deep enough for getting the washer and nut on. 

The stem is strong enough even if you drill a hole clear through, so don't worry about it ... do the best you can with the longest shanks you can get.

Another option is to use a barrel-nut to add all-thread extensions to the shanks.  I know of one guy that did this with great success, but the technique above is preferred.

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 06, 2020, 04:55:30 PM »
Sorry, was out of town. Yes got mine, very heavy. Overkill is good

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 06, 2020, 10:50:27 PM »
My hatches arrived sans bow eyes.  Hope they are not far behind. 

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 08, 2020, 12:32:56 PM »
Tank in.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 08, 2020, 01:05:59 PM »
That's quite a tank ... size?  What's your plan for hold-downs?

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 08, 2020, 03:24:38 PM »
124 gallons. Glued down with 5200. Going to block around edges with blocks between the stringers.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 09, 2020, 05:52:20 AM »
I think that's the largest tank yet ... 400-500 miles range :)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 09, 2020, 06:37:44 AM »
Very nice.  What is the depth, length of that rascal?   Where do you plan to route the fill tube?

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 09, 2020, 07:06:44 AM »
8 foot long, 30 inches wide, 12 inches center, 8 inches on sides. I am routing hoses out the back. I will post pics in the next few days of hoses. Working hard to get under floor stuff done so can get my rear cabin wall up.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 09, 2020, 09:34:47 PM »
Djeffrey,

Great job getting a big tank in there!  I have a concern about the fuel fill, it is based upon my Raider aluminum boat which fuels from the rear as yours is set up.  It is problematic to fill since the boat sits higher in the front and the fill and vent is in the  rear of the boat which is lower than the front.  Hope that makes sense, it (my Raider) does not take fuel well.  I have no scientific data or engineering degree but it seems to trap air once the fuel is nearing full and causes fuel to burp out of the fuel fill.   

Maybe others with experience and knowledge will chime in and agree or disagree with my take on things. (you might not have nothing to worry about)

If you turned your tank around you could fill from the high point in the tank and vent from the high point also.  The only thing I see is you would have to add a bung for the fuel pickup at the other end of the tank.

It may not be worth the effort but something to think about.

You are doing a great job on your build and I enjoy watching the progress.

Bob

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 10, 2020, 07:23:21 PM »
Thanks bob, I put a vent on both ends of the tank just because of that concern.