Author Topic: I got a few questions concerning the GA if I was to build one.  (Read 4660 times)

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
Anyone feel free to chime in:

1.   I assume if I was to stretch to 28 feet all you do is add to the back and leave the rest as is? Since the plans show the 26 foot
2.   If I were to build one I would do it much like Adrian’s layout Brian recently posted with something less than full length wheel house. I would probably keep the roof the same and add drop down curtains so to speak and a removable curtain back door.  Question is since I would add to OAL 24” and reduce weight up front by shorting the wheel  house should I move the helm back a bit? Bear in mind I would like to do this to fit the head in the bunk house. From what I can tell the helm would need to move back aprox. 16” for full size head like you have drawn in on the deck.
3.   Instead all the stuff drawn in behind the two captain chars I thought I would just add  bench seating 4 feet wide much like you see on a typical alum. sled with cabin. Under  these would be insulated fish boxes as deep as possible trying again to keep the deck clear for fishing room. The question here is this may be too much weight at mid ship I would guess with ice and full of fish on a good day could be 300-350 lbs per side. Is this doable?
4.   With all this in mind would I keep the fuel takes where they are drawn of move to the stern a bit?
5.   I’m thinking 175 to 200 hp
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
Re: I got a few questions concerning the GA if I was to build one.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 12:33:48 PM »
Oh yea a few other questions I really like the radius on the transom the guys down under are building and just wondering what affect it would have on maneuvering like sharp turns better or not? Pros an cons on this design change? What about how will it effect bow steer/ broaching?
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 01:20:54 PM »

First of all, everything you said sounds fine.  Adrian's house is light weight and would have the affect of moving the CG slightly aft ...but not significantly.  Most of the weight in the the house is near or just forward of the CG, which means moving it around (or lightening it up) doesn't have much affect ...the lever arm from the CG just isn't that large for this stuff.  That said, if you are thinking of having deep fish wells aft, carrying several hundred pounds of ice, then it sounds like the aft belly tank (as shown in the drawings) won't fit back there ...your fuel is likely to end up in the single forward belly tank or possibly in box tanks in the bottom half of the settees that you mention, and/or in saddle tanks located under the sheer deck on either side.  Either way, having the fish boxes in the cockpit area and fuel located amidships as mentioned should work fine.  I would not however suggest moving heavy items such as fuel towards the bow, but they are fine in the aft 2/3rds of the pilot house area.  The boat's large enough to 'not notice' this stuff too much, but you don't want a boat to trim low at the bow.  Ideal trim is with the bow slightly higher than the stern (as checked along the tops of the main stringers ...which are horizontal when the boat is trimmed with the bow and stern the same height).

As far as stretching the boat to 28', this is described in the construction manuals already.  We give instructions on how to shorten to about 25' and how to stretch to 28'.  In a nutshell, all sections forward of amidships stay the same for any length boat.  The construction manual gives new mold locations for the aft half of the boat to make the boat shorter or longer than 28'.  You do have to place the molds (bottom panel assembly and sheer 'shelves' structure) in the new locations however and should not, for example, just run the side panels further aft past the last mold ...say if you made a late decision and had the molds in the locations for a shorter boat.  The boat tapers a tad towards the stern, so just running the side panels (and bottom panels) longer would make the transom narrower.  Either way, just follow the instructions in the manual and ask questions if you have them.

As for the curved transom that Ed in Australia has built, there is not problem with that as long as you keep the thicknesses the same.  You will need to mount the motor (or jack plate etc) to the transom however, so you'll need to apply some thin 'wedges' that correct the curve and give a flat mounting surface for the motor.  Ed is probably your best resource on this, and if I know him at all, I think you can expect him to be helpful ...I'm probably not going to re-draw plans and give instructions for a curved transom though.  As far as performance and handling goes, the curved transom won't hurt anything, probably won't make a lot of difference in maneuverability (you won't notice), but may help a bit in seas that are trying to broach the boat.  There's nothing wrong with the curved transom.  I just didn't design it in and am pretty busy this summer... so you'd be more or less on your own with it (but Ed would likely help).

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 03:05:13 PM »
Brain
Thanks for the quick answers it helps a lot. I did spend several hours going though both the short and long versions of the construction manual but must have missed the part on stretching I will revisit it. I am going to spend some time refiguring a few areas in the drawings and maybe do a little cad work with some of my personal items I would like incorporated into the GA I must admitt it is an Awsome looking design you have come up with. If I lived in Alaska Or used the boat for sleeping much I probably would not change a thing. Most if not all my fishing will be out of Newport Oregon and I have a place there on the Siletz River for my RV so I have a place to stay.
The other cool thing for more sleeping my jet sled had was a few bars that stretched across between the the two seats, you then took the back rest cushions off and laid them across the two bars made a nice 4 foot wide bed.
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 06:53:51 PM »
That's the nice thing about building your own boat ...you can reconfigure as you please.  Note that the construction manual also gives you a range of locations for both the aft cuddy bulkhead and the aft pilot house bulkhead ...between being able to build the boat from 25' to 28' and being able to move those two bulkheads, you can come up with quite a variety of setups from the one boat design.  That's what it's all about ...build your own fishing or camping machine!

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>