Author Topic: Pictures of Adrians boat....question about "sponsons" ?  (Read 3256 times)

xrayengineer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Pictures of Adrians boat....question about "sponsons" ?
« on: July 06, 2012, 07:04:05 AM »
On the pictures of that beautiful boat of Adrian's, what is the purpose of the "sponsons" in the back and having the motor tucked in between them like that?  I have never seen anything like it, except of course the good ole' redneck pontoon boat party barge!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Pictures of Adrians boat....question about "sponsons" ?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »
They provide a swim platform, only instead of being just a swim platform they also provide flotation for the motor ...which is on a large bracket.  I've seen them on other boats, but it's not common.  Commercially, it costs extra time and materials to do it so they avoid it.  I do know of one guy that built an O'Brien Predator that tended to porpoise in certain conditions and he added sponsons that fixed things right up.  In any case, on the GA, they aren't needed but with Adrian's motor being on that long bracket, which he preferred, they'll help out a lot since they give both extra flotation near the motor which helps the boat trim properly at rest and they give an extended waterline when on plane.  Chances are good that the wake will rise in the 'pocket' area and Adrian will be able to run the motor a couple of inches higher than if it were on the transom, and since that moves the line of thrust up closer to the vertical center of gravity, he's likely to see improved efficiency as well.  It's an interesting experiment that we're all looking forward to watching and hearing more about.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>