Author Topic: Check out this aluminum bracket and swim platform going on the back of the GA 28  (Read 5844 times)

xrayengineer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
I got this bracket last week, a brand new one from Stainless Marine.  (it was leftover stock from a distressed boat dealer).  It has a 30 inch setback for the outboard, the swim platform is around 77 inches wide.  The "air chamber" for bouyancy is around 4.3 cubic feet, but not all of that would be underwater.  I would guess a little over 3 cubic feet will be under water at all times.  I may make a couple of "saddle tanks" for either side if Brian thinks it needs more buoyancy. 

Sweet!  A full transom boat!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
I'd build it as planned, full transom, and try that bracket out.  You may find that it works fine as-is ...you can look at how the boat trims after it's in the water.  Since you're planning on a 28' version (right?), I doubt you'll see too much of an issue w/trim.  Are you planning on a kicker?  Where would it go?

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

xrayengineer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
No Kicker planned.  I could have someone fab a bracket on the side for one......

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Cool...  :D

bd
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

xrayengineer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
OK Brian, I know you just told me to give it a try, but I am nervous and would like to run a few things past you.  I am not sure on the outboard I am going to use, but it will be a single and weigh somewhere around 480-608 pounds.  The bracket is a 30" setback.   Bracket weighs around 100 pounds, and has around 200 pounds of buoyancy.

With a 30" lever arm, will this have much effect on the scupper/waterline height on your boat design?  I am going to have around 100 gallon fuel capacity.  I will also have a 32 gallon livewell located dead center of the fishing deck.  I will have 2 or 3 adults fishing around the transom very often, and I cannot tolerate water flooding the deck because the scuppers are under water.  I know in a previous post, you mentioned the waterline to the deck around 4 inches, which I think is great.  If with this setup I will have, you feel the waterline may go below 3 inches with 3 adults fishing around the transom, please let me know so I can address this with you and reallocate weight and/or increase the deck height and inch or two.

Thanks!  Did I mention I hate having water coming in the scuppers????!!!!!!

xrayengineer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Another question, would you just build the standard transom and not put the cutouts in?  I was going to put the LVL's in in the same locations as standard, except make the whole transom 3" thick buy putting them top to bottom.

What do you think?  Too much? any additional bracing or tie in to the stringers?

The bracket has large aluminum backing plates for the inside.  I will have to get a picture up of these...

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Nope ...no need to build the transom any thicker than I specify in the drawing for the solid transom ...noting that it's not publicly available yet but I just emailed it to you privately.  The solid transom is 2" thick from top to bottom.  Combined with your aluminum bracket and interior backing plates ...it's very strong.  No need to change anything.  No need for additional tie-in to the stringers or anything like that.  Enjoy your full uncluttered deck!

Brian

xrayengineer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Cool Cool Cool !!!