Author Topic: Cannon's Salem Oregon Build  (Read 32371 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Cannon's Salem Oregon Build
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2015, 02:12:58 PM »
Something else that you don't see mentioned too much is that when gluing the bottom panel assembly onto the stringers (and stem etc) is that you really only need to concentrate on gluing along the centerline of the stringers.  If the epoxy only gets about 2/3rds to 3/4ths coverage over the width of the stringer, but is centered, then you can always go back over it after all is in place and fill in the gap, e.g. with a plastic bag full of epoxy that has a small piece nipped off one corner to make a hole ...this may even be a better technique since it minimizes the rush job you have to do after gluing to clean up the squeeze-out.  And if the amount of epoxy that would fill it is small, it'll happen automatically when you fillet for glassing the stringers to the bottom anyway.  This might save time and effort, and require a little less epoxy to be mixed up:

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 09:50:48 PM »
The sides are on, and I'm inside the hull putting fillets and taping the shelves in place. I have also faired the Port side, ready for glassing and was working on fairing the Starboard when I noticed a problem with the legs on the Starboard. They were in the process of zippering. It seems that as the hull got heavier and with cords and such laying on the floor binding or stopping the wheel that ended up in the direction I was pushing the hull. Long story short, I spent the entire day replacing the legs. I used 4x6, notched out for the jig so the frame sits in the notch. I through bolted all six in place to the jig. With the jig resting in the saddle and throug bolted in place, the are much more solid and less inclined to tweak when they come up against an electrical cord. Anyway, tomorrow I will be moving forward instead of falling backward.
http://blog.nwoutdoorwriter.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Overview.jpg
There is more on how I installed the side panels on my blog. Working by myself, means I have to be creative to make things happen...
http://blog.nwoutdoorwriter.com/great-alaskan-offshore-boat-build-7-31-2015/
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2015, 10:10:36 PM »
Brian,
I have a question about the auxiliary spray rails. Why? Are they important?
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 10:06:36 AM »
You can use, or not use, the auxiliary spray rails.  I like them because by putting a simple square strip along the chine, you knock water down close to where it came from ...reducing spray that blows into the boat.  Why not?  A dry boat is a good boat...   8) :D

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Dave Collett-Paule

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 07:01:51 PM »
Hey, Cannon, I ran mine all the way to the transom and think of them as chine guards.  Like bottom strakes (if used), they can be somewhat sacrificial, so i didn't glass mine to the hull, just filleted and coated with resin.

As it turned out, when I flipped my boat with the chain hoists it scooted across the shop floor a few feet, and the aux spray rail took all the abrasion.

Cheers,

Dave in Homer

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 10:56:19 PM »
Dave,
How is your boat for spray? I didn't catch the "auxiliary" spray rails, I rounded the Chine's outer edge to make glassing easier. One of them woulda,coulda, shoulda deals...
All of the edges, corners and keel are taped as of today. I also started glassing the sides. Guess I should be reviewing the manual again...

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2015, 09:59:48 AM »
Cannon ...the aux spray rails go on after the glassing is done.  No problem rounding, glassing, fairing ahead of time.  I agree with Dave ...no need to glass over the aux spray rails.  They can take a beating, rot, etc without transferring rot to the primary hull's wood (assuming you fill those screw holes nicely).

Brian

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2015, 10:13:23 AM »
Thanks Brian, I really have to complement you on the plans and manual, I have worked in the building industry for my entire life and your plans and manual are very easy to follow, and spot on for accuracy! This is my first boat build, but not my first rodeo! I have worked off CAD generated plans that should have never been allowed on the jobsite because they were so poorly reviewed. Your first design, and a home run in my opinion!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2015, 04:36:50 PM »
Wow!  Thanks for all the kind words!  Your check's in the mail...

bd

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2015, 09:33:52 PM »
Ha! Now you sound like my ex wife...

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2015, 10:25:25 AM »
Ha! Now you sound like my ex wife...

I hate the sound of my ex-wife... yechhhh!  (I was the only one dumb enough to marry her... something that I'm good at.  You know the difference between a pickup and a wife?  Pickups are forever...)

bd

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2015, 01:47:03 PM »
I was able to flip her yesterday, thanks to a bunch of help from neighbors and a couple of guys who frequent the Fishy Fish forum. I was sweating the details right up till the time everybody showed up! She is now sitting in front of my shop beckoning to me to get to work and finish her up!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2015, 03:43:43 PM »
Congratulations!   ;D  It's a big boat once turned over, isn't it?  Did you get that "What the heck did I get myself into!?" feeling?   ;D

Brian

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2015, 07:10:27 PM »
No, I got that 2 more feet and it would be perfect feeling ;D

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2015, 08:23:20 AM »
No, I got that 2 more feet and it would be perfect feeling ;D

;D :o 8)