Author Topic: Propane safety switch  (Read 1244 times)

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
Propane safety switch
« on: June 23, 2022, 03:13:23 PM »
I know there has been some talk in the past on whether or not to use propane appliances in the cabin. I recently installed a safety shut off switch. It works great, it enables me to turn the propane on and off from inside the cabin, so when I’m not using propane it is off at the bottle.

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Propane safety switch
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 07:35:57 PM »
Having cleaned diesel soot for years, I am all in on propane. I am putting in a propex propane heater, Dickinson propane fireplace and stove in my boat. Building a proper propane locker on the back deck and putting in a remote solenoid and two propane sniffers in the boat. Hopefully I don't go boom if I choose to light up a cigar.

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 12:15:04 AM »
You're basically required to have the solenoid shut-off valve, because the code requires a shutoff valve "at the source" that is "operable from the fuel-burning appliance". That means you need a solenoid valve, with the switch near the stove/heater/etc. mounted such that you do not have to reach over said appliance to operate the switch. You are also required to have a pressure gauge that you can easily read.

After considering all the options, I decided against a propane locker and built-in propane appliances because it takes up too much space and any little thing that goes wrong fills the cabin with potentially deadly and explosive fumes. So I opted for a portable stove, and I store the bottles outside in a locker. No code issues to worry about, very little space taken up, and the stove works awesome. My diesel heater runs clean and diesel is not nearly as explosive as propane or gasoline and takes up little space. Works for me. Despite all the complex designs I've done, I like simple and super safe for myself.

Here's a good article:
https://www.practical-sailor.com/systems-propulsion/some-propane-dos-and-donts

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 07:56:13 AM »
Things that I like about propane is that it's infinitely adjustable and can put out more heat than other stove types ... it's great stuff to cook over.  I don't like that it's heavier than air and can settle in hidden areas, but I believe a careful installation can resolve the issues well enough.  Many boat's use propane.  Trade-offs ... I had a small 'suitcase' style portable butane stove that I liked.  It used long cylinders ... safer than propane but I didn't like the lower heat output.

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 08:59:56 AM »
For me it’s a trade off also. Everything we do on these boats can affect safety. For example an unfused wire to me is an unforgivable sin in boat building. Do it right, take every safety precaution you can ( I.e. detectors)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 05:42:04 PM »
For me it’s a trade off also. Everything we do on these boats can affect safety. For example an unfused wire to me is an unforgivable sin in boat building. Do it right, take every safety precaution you can ( I.e. detectors)

Just don't install any of those pesky lie detectors ... takes the fun out of the fishing!  :D :D
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2022, 08:09:50 PM »
Yep no lie detectors, will however instal a "fish stretcher"and adjustable scale.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 07:19:51 AM »
Yep no lie detectors, will however instal a "fish stretcher"and adjustable scale.

:D :D :D