Author Topic: Reasoning for different building methodology - Sheer vs. Chine  (Read 4229 times)

starbright55

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
I'm sure there's a reason...

But, when reading the building manual again last night and I read the section on building the chine flats, I thought to myself - why not make a 1/8" luan template like for the shelves?  You'd just have to make sure that your scarfs are lined up correctly when making your blanks. Trace, then cut. The whole nails on their sides, pounding with a mallet, drilling through each point, etc. seemed more complicated. It seems like the chines would be easier since all cuts are a 90 degrees and you're making two of the same thing (only "complicated" thing with them is the scarfs).

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Reasoning for different building methodology - Sheer vs. Chine
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 05:29:42 PM »
You can make templates if you like ...It just means buying more wood to make them from, that's all. 

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

starbright55

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 09:23:32 AM »
You can make templates if you like ...It just means buying more wood to make them from, that's all. 

So, you could make the shelves the same way as the chines and save wood by drawing them on the floor using nails?

I guess what the question really was, why two different methods?

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 09:38:29 AM »
Why 2 methods?  Ummm... tradition?   :-X

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

starbright55

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 10:28:35 AM »
Why 2 methods?  Ummm... tradition?   :-X
Ok, that answers that (I should have asked it that way in the first place)

Which method is:

Faster?

Easier?

Cheaper?
Obviously using nails and not buying $40 of 1/8" luan is cheaper

More accurate?
Probably not an issue since good enough is good enough as long as both side are symmetrical (for chines and shelves)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 10:54:48 AM »
It's probably a wash either way.  One thing different about the shelves versus the chine flats is that the outside edge of the shelves is beveled ... they are mirror images of each other.

bd

starbright55

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 06:31:23 PM »
It's probably a wash either way.  One thing different about the shelves versus the chine flats is that the outside edge of the shelves is beveled ... they are mirror images of each other.

bd

Thanks Brian!