Author Topic: Anchor?  (Read 3995 times)

tiogabuilder

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Anchor?
« on: February 21, 2014, 11:46:47 AM »
What is the recommended anchor style and size for the 26ft Prince Rupert?  I'll primarily be in the Finger Lakes of NY, or possibly Lake Erie.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Anchor?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 03:59:42 PM »
Here in Alaska, the Bruce style claw anchor is popular but ....we have large tidal swings and one thing the Bruce is designed for that most others are not designed for is the ability to turn full circle as the tide comes in and goes out.  For a 26' (or any) GA, the 16.5# (7.5 kg) Bruce is the right choice but going heavier, say with the 22# (10 kg) version, is not a bad thing.  If you don't have the tidal swing issue, then a Rocna is probably your best answer ...it sets quicker and holds stronger than a Bruce.  And, most importantly, you kinda want to ask around locally because the average bottom in mooring areas makes a difference ...is it mud, sand, small rocks, big rocks, varies a lot?  Most regions tend to have a preferred anchor style that seems to work best in their own area, so it's good to know what that answer might be before you end up buying twice.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

tiogabuilder

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 04:58:33 PM »
Thanks for that, Brian! That certainly puts me in the right direction. I'm sure there will be more "dumb" questions in the future.

Vicent59

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 07:57:46 AM »
Box anchors hold very well.  Also requires less rope.