Author Topic: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build  (Read 224522 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build
« Reply #1065 on: August 21, 2023, 08:02:05 AM »

Add the gentle, forgiving, motion of the boat combined with those cushions, you'll sleep like never before!

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: August 30, 2023, 11:22:19 AM »
Next week should be my week for launching!! 

I have an appointment to have my motor programmed on Tuesday and will have necessary documents for getting it licensed. 

I added a cushion on cuddy bulkhead just in case!!  Survey was done, I do not have a copy yet but will post results.  He was very impressed to say the least.

I have bled the hydraulic steering.  I used "Outboard Specialty Tools Bubble Purge G2, that is the most amazing tool and highly recommend it for anyone bleeding hydraulic steering.  I cannot move the motor period, in the video Tyler states that 1/4" is acceptable. I called and Tyler (owner) answered the phone and gave instruction for dual helm.  You can look up youtube videos of the process.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KFWZTHS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1067 on: August 30, 2023, 01:12:30 PM »
Killer, you are due for a day on the water! Can't wait to see how it goes for you, also looking forward to hearing more about your survey.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: September 01, 2023, 03:07:28 PM »
Survey is in!! 

I guess he really liked my boat.  Glad to have this part done, heading to Portland Wednesday for the motor start up programming.  To be licensed soon.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: September 01, 2023, 04:10:33 PM »
All I can say is ...
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1070 on: September 01, 2023, 05:03:46 PM »
I'm with Brian... That's incredible. You are setting the bar high for everyone in this community rbob :) Great job!

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: September 01, 2023, 10:52:03 PM »
That’s a beauty.  I still think mine is way too low.  I believe my boat is under valued.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: September 02, 2023, 06:43:04 AM »
That’s a beauty.  I still think mine is way too low.  I believe my boat is under valued.

Yeah, the surveys vary a lot.  I'll bet the same boat would vary plus/minus $50k or more if you took to several surveyors.  I think Chuck Mazzola's fine boat should've appraised for more too ... it's a gem.

tom e

• Midshipman
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1073 on: September 02, 2023, 10:14:08 AM »
What a great number!    Congratulations! 

Please let us know what your insurance is willing to cover -- value or replacement cost.  Also, I didn't see that the numbers included the trailer?  In any event, it's worth every cent of it!

Were you surprised at any of the detailed findings in the survey?   

te
Tolman Jumbo launched Sept '22

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: September 02, 2023, 12:37:30 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words.  Surprised in the detailed findings?

My surveyor estimated the weight at 10,500lbs.  A couple recommendations and suggested a bow rail although not in the report.

Now I know what "Bristol" means Brian!  Thank you from the bottom of my heart, without you none of us would have the amazing Great Alaskan!

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: September 05, 2023, 03:37:07 PM »
Update,

I have licensed the boat today, headed to Portland tomorrow for the motor programming.

While I was at it, I finished a couple of items on the checklist: Mounted the boat hook and Tiffany made one more cushion that snaps to the lid. The thing I hate is the "Throwable Cushion".  My plan is to have Tiffany make a new cover, Blue with white stripe.  I see no restrictions for color on the throwable cushion.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 11:09:47 PM by Rbob »

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: September 05, 2023, 10:39:11 PM »
My less than photographic memory had me searching for a 24” diameter throwable ring.  That’s what I ended up with anyway.  It’s mounted to the PH door.  A throwable cushion would sure be easier

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: September 06, 2023, 06:36:47 AM »
My less than photographic memory had me searching for a 24” diameter throwable ring.  That’s what I ended up with anyway.  It’s mounted to the PH door.  A throwable cushion would sure be easier

Yeah, virtually all boat seat cushions are flotation devices nowadays.  The ring might be easier to hold onto, for longer, by putting an arm through the hole (or two arms if you're "just little").  Also, the ring likely has line/rope on it ahead of time, ready to be used for throwing, hauling back and throwing again if necessary, or hauling a person back ... while seat cushions generally will not have a line/rope already tied to them and neither will most boats have a good coil of rope just waiting for this circumstance.  I like the ring - and they look very salty, very boat-y...

« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 06:44:31 AM by Brian.Dixon »

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: September 06, 2023, 11:39:48 PM »
Agreed,

Rings look way better, I am re-thinking the cushion idea.

Good news is I have a running engine. I love the sound of it, I'm crazy about a Mercury!!

My kicker motor is leaking fuel though so I will address that tomorrow.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: September 07, 2023, 05:03:48 PM »
I took my boat across the scales today, I towed it with my 2006 Nissan Titan because that's what I towed it with when I weighed the new trailer and completed "bare hull"

Had to go back to post #828 to find the previous weight.

It now weighs 5,040 with 25g of fuel. I believe filling it up will add another 360lbs.

Calling it 5,400 lbs.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 11:49:56 PM by Rbob »