Author Topic: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build  (Read 224066 times)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Re: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build
« Reply #1140 on: November 09, 2023, 02:38:34 PM »
I too, do not power onto the trailer.  Even with the 250, there is not enough power to drive onto the trailer without it deep into the water.  So why try.  I will consider a larger fuse, but 500 Amps scares me.   I know for a fact that 150 amps won't tear the bow eye out of the stem so there is that.  You will like the winch!

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: November 26, 2023, 11:20:11 PM »
Went today for a boat ride, I am happy to report that propeller was really close to my target rpm's.  5,200 and 5,400 was the target.  4 people on board. The prop is 15.5x17 3-blade.  No cavitation and no spray..

Maybe someone can tell me if this looks right, the anti ventilation plate :

On edit I should have taken video of the sherpa winch making it look easy to pull the boat onto the trailer,  it wa worth every penny.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 11:24:22 PM by Rbob »

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: November 27, 2023, 12:27:44 PM »
Hi Robert, I've been wondering if there is any specific reason you didn't go with an adjustable jack plate?  Only asking since you ended up with a transom stand off similar to me.  I went through a substantial amount of pain getting the outboard to work with the transom too, albeit for different reasons.   Now that it's all worked out I really like the jack plate.  Just curios??

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: November 27, 2023, 02:56:28 PM »
Adjustable jack plate was more money, I figured once I got it Adjusted I wont need to move it.  I am good with the bracket i have now,and it is easy for me to raise or lower outboard with cherry picker. By myself a 20 minute job.  The first bracket i purchased was a waste of 300 bucks, 1.5 inch offset made it to high or to low.  I am limited to 3/4" adjustment increments and I  can move up or down without interference.  I have good hindsight now.

On edit, if I remember  correctly the adjustable brackets do not have much down travel.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 03:00:22 PM by Rbob »

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: November 27, 2023, 05:13:37 PM »
I think you are right about the down travel.  Maybe I wouldn?t be as big a fan if I was properly set up.  Not sure if I am  or not.  Either way it sounds like success.  Thanks for the thoughtful answer

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: November 27, 2023, 09:06:51 PM »
Todd,

A good way to see if you are set up (I think / my opinion) is to use a prop calculator to see if you can get an improvement adjusting your motor up or down.

At set rpm say 3k, record your speed once trimmed the way you like and then adjust the motor up or down to see if your prop slip is less.

I am not there yet but I have found that a deeper set motor used more fuel vs too high and you get cavitation so it can make a difference. 

https://bblades.com/propeller-slip-calculator/

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #1146 on: November 28, 2023, 06:36:19 AM »

Yes, and as you experiment with how high you can go, keep an eye on the 'pee' from the motor to make sure that it's deep enough to get all the cooling water it needs.  Dan Boccia found that, with his boat and configuration anyway, you could run the anti-cav plate higher than expected and still get enough cooling ... and higher gas mileage.  It's worth experimenting with.

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: November 29, 2023, 03:04:08 PM »
I will try just for fun.  I make a game out of adjusting the jack plate and trimming the engine to get 3 MPG.  While at cruise I bring the engine up until it slips then back it down.  Or I watch my GPH and increase/decrease speed until I get my speed 3X my consumption.  usually when loaded for a day's fishing trip this speed happens at 30 MPH and 4200 RPM.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #1148 on: November 29, 2023, 05:56:06 PM »

3 mpg at 30 mph is pretty great!  What can you get closer to 21 or so?  Technically (which doesn't always agree with real life), 21 mph should be pretty optimal (plus or minus 2 mph)

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: November 29, 2023, 11:40:15 PM »
I?ll have to give it a try next time I?m out

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #1150 on: December 22, 2023, 12:01:29 PM »
I will try just for fun.  I make a game out of adjusting the jack plate and trimming the engine to get 3 MPG.  While at cruise I bring the engine up until it slips then back it down.  Or I watch my GPH and increase/decrease speed until I get my speed 3X my consumption.  usually when loaded for a day's fishing trip this speed happens at 30 MPH and 4200 RPM.
30 MPH at 4200 is also amazing. At 4200 rpm I'm at 23MPH running twins
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1151 on: December 22, 2023, 09:41:20 PM »
What?s your top speed with your twins Grady?

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1152 on: January 25, 2024, 06:55:55 PM »
Rbob, have you tried your boarding ladder yet? I need something better than the rope one I have (it's not safe in a man-overboard scenario when it's stowed), and still looking for a minimal solution. Curious what you bought to mount that (they have additional brackets, not sure if I need one or not, they are an extra $50) and if it's actually ok to get in and out of the water with, since your swim step is about the same height as my swim step. Thanks!

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1153 on: January 26, 2024, 09:53:21 AM »
I have a whitecap invisible negative transom ladder which I can not find a way to mount on my boat, will give it to you if you can make it work on your boat. Clever design, but just won't work for me

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: January 26, 2024, 10:33:59 AM »
Json,

The boarding ladder just bolts to the setback bracket.  Its sturdy and easy to use. Its easy to climb up from the shop floor.

On edit, have to drill 2 holes, available for port or starboard mount.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 11:01:13 AM by Rbob »