Author Topic: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build  (Read 224065 times)

robertrosie5

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build
« Reply #105 on: September 14, 2016, 12:43:04 PM »
Here's a close-up of the tabs I left on the side panels with the witness marks
I got the right side on after work last night finished up about 1130 last night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2016, 12:58:29 PM »
Looks great!  And BIG...  ;D

Thanks for sharing your side-hanging techniques.  I'm going to be updating the manual soon and will likely include this idea in there to make the (cumbersome) side-hanging process easier....

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2016, 04:45:22 PM »
When I did the 1st aft side I set it on the supports and did the best I could for marking the inside chine but the 2x4's mounted on top of the hull do not let the side panel sit flush at the top edge and gave me a little grief after cutting it out, I had to shim the panel up about 1/2" to get a good fit.

I hope that made sense!

When I hung the second aft panel on other side I decided to hang the side panel from a screw mounted at the top of the panel at mid point into a brace and lined up the top of the panel with the chine, temporarily screwed the aft panel on then marked inside for cut.  After marking and cutting I reinstalled the cantilever supports for the aft panel, the cut was perfect. Since this aft panel was marked and trimmed without the supports there was no tab to hold it at the perfect height like the forward panel.  I could have reinstalled the aft panel, installed supports and shimmed for perfect fit but I did not, but was still very easy.  I set the panel on the supports with the scarf joint lined up where I wanted it  (after applying epoxy) and put the first screw in the top of the transom after lining up perfectly with rear chine ( just lifted up the rear) then lifted up the panel at the front scarf to line up with chine seam and put another screw in.  On the supports the panel is stable, it sits out about 3" from the epoxy and rests against the chine and lifting it 3/4" is easy.

With 1-1/2" spacer under the cantilever support and the bottom panel trimmed + 3/4"  I could have just set a scrap piece of 3/4" on the support and been fine that way.  Those little scrap pieces of 1/2" I screwed to the support worked well, some out 6" and some close as needed for good fit and put some witness marks on made an easy install.

Tired and rambling on!   

I applaud you and those who can write so someone else can understand / make sense of the worlds.  I had to re-read/change my rambling probably 10 times and still.... question what the hell am I saying, haha.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2016, 06:41:20 PM »
Yeah ...those 2x4s can get in the way if too close to the outer edge of the chine.  Not sure what to do about that ...except maybe rough cut first so there is no tall upper plywood edge to conflict with the 2x4?  Otherwise, you would have to lower the lower supports that carry the side panels ... or screw blocks along the top edge of the ply to 'hang' on the edge of the chine while marking.  Dunno ...lots of ways to skin the cat.  BUT it's very important to give those chines a straight run aft, so there's not much you can do about getting those 2x4s out of the way....

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2016, 11:20:53 AM »
My scarf did not turn out great on this side, I reused the plywood to clamp the scarf together (same screw holes) and they did not tighten down enough, I should have put a few more screws to tighten it up but....  late and tired thinking it would be fine.

Oh well, just a little more fairing on that side.  By the time I get done I will be an expert.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 15, 2016, 04:01:49 PM »
My scarf did not turn out great on this side, I reused the plywood to clamp the scarf together (same screw holes) and they did not tighten down enough, I should have put a few more screws to tighten it up but....  late and tired thinking it would be fine.

Oh well, just a little more fairing on that side.  By the time I get done I will be an expert.

Scrape down the high spots before fairing it in, and use a longboard to sand diagonally up, diagonally down, horizontally, and vertically ...fill, repeat.  Doesn't take long and you won't miss the flat spots and uglies.  Don't trust the exterior glassing to hide all your sins... do the fairing before glassing if you accidentally produced a "decorative" scarf :)

Brian

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build
« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2016, 10:36:08 PM »
You are going to like/love your GA! After today, I am a total believer!!! The GA can handle rough water with ease. In most boats, the offshore conditions would have scared me spittless. Never once felt we were in danger and it was a very mean ocean!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2016, 10:20:34 AM »
I filled the chine seam and the bow seam,  still need to fillet and glass the inner shelf.  It sucks with limited time to work on it, had to sand the inner shelf and side again since I did not get back on it soon enough that adds a lot of extra work...

Going to fillet and glass the inner shelf tonight then on to glassing the exterior seams which should I plan on doing it wet on wet this coming weekend. 

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2016, 11:37:11 AM »
You are going to like/love your GA! After today, I am a total believer!!! The GA can handle rough water with ease. In most boats, the offshore conditions would have scared me spittless. Never once felt we were in danger and it was a very mean ocean!

Good to hear, hopefully it calms down so you can get back out!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 20, 2016, 07:55:25 AM »
Even during 'good weather', getting out in Oregon is surprisingly challenging... bar closed more than you'd expect.

bd

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
« Reply #115 on: September 20, 2016, 09:50:12 AM »
I have a commercial license, but more than not, I'd rather sit in port than wish I hadn't gone across the bar when its restricted.

Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 20, 2016, 11:18:02 AM »
Just so there is no confusion, I do have a commercial fishing license, not a six pack. I have a hard time babysitting people so I went this route. I love to fish, and once I filled my freezer and canned enough for the winter, I still like to go! I have a short list of customers who subsidize my fishing habit which helps with fuel, insurance and such. The reason I'm stating this outright is because on the other board, a certain obnoxious person essentially called me a liar.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 20, 2016, 03:01:50 PM »
What an A-hole!

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2016, 04:42:52 PM »
Question on the aux spray rail,

"The auxiliary spray rails are installed along the forward chine so that they
effectively widen the chine flat in this region."

If the chines are rounded over, what do I line the aux spray rails to? Flush with the bottom of chine and back-fill the radius or drop them down a bit (away from waterline)  ?

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 22, 2016, 08:07:53 AM »
Align with upper side of the chine radius, otherwise you'd have fill work to do ...and the purpose is to knock down spray.  It'll do that fine when installed as shown below:

Brian