Author Topic: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build  (Read 224811 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build
« Reply #540 on: January 06, 2020, 05:38:40 AM »
VERY good fairing job!
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 12, 2020, 06:55:28 PM »
I made a little progress, at least some.  Whoever wants to build their own hatches you should re-think it.. It is time consuming and labor intensive.

Making the frames to catch the hatch and provide a second step for a weatherstrip was challenging for me.  I am pretty sure a interior finish carpenter or cabinet maker would have excelled in that sort of thing. I ended up (after a failed attempt) just making 2 frames on the bench and epoxied the together then pre-coated the frame and opening for the hatch and pushed them in, making sure I would have a hatch that is flush when closed.  I used a brad nailer with 316 stainless brads to secure.

I opted for flush mounted hinges that open 180 degrees without binding. Not too bad just trace them I wanted them and used double-sided tape to attach some guides for the router.  Flush hinges protrude in the hinge area so another set of guides to make room for the hinge barrel.

So a whole weekdend and 3 hatch frames installed and 1 hatch installed.  I did not get to the latch.

Pics:

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: January 12, 2020, 10:37:06 PM »
Wow!   Nice work

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 14, 2020, 11:38:34 PM »
Thank you Todd.  Worked till 9:30 tonight on the boat to finish installing the hinges on the front 2 hatches.  I have compression latches to install just need to think it thru before I drill some holes.

The middle hatch sits a little low so I need to shim the jamb, the t-square was slipping, fixable just more to do.  The rest of the hatches are rock solid to walk on, I am happy about that.

Pic:

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 26, 2020, 07:26:08 PM »
Update:
Made a little headway, cut a big hole in the cuddy roof and plugged some holes in insulated hatch frame.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: January 26, 2020, 10:22:31 PM »
I like it.  My hatch is on back order, so my cuddy is on hold a bit.  Things sure move slowly at times don’t they!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 27, 2020, 05:31:33 AM »
How did you cut the long smooth curves on the pieces of wood that the hatch is sitting on?  Do you have a bandsaw?  Really nice job in matching the shape of the cuddy roof...

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 27, 2020, 07:03:04 AM »
Bob, you got some skills. Boat is looking great

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 27, 2020, 10:49:45 PM »
How did you cut the long smooth curves on the pieces of wood that the hatch is sitting on?  Do you have a bandsaw?  Really nice job in matching the shape of the cuddy roof...

I used the roof template and a jigsaw,  then used 40 grit on a semi curved sanding block to make it fit nice.  It was 1 1/4" tall when I started, when I got it to fit I trimmed it on the table saw with fence to make it slim as possible.

Not much progress though lately, Mother in-law passed Friday, spent time with  Father in-law Saturday and Granddaughter birthday on Sunday.

I did order a Wallas heater today.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 28, 2020, 04:56:41 AM »

My condolences on the family ... sometimes putting the boat aside for a bit is the right thing to do.  Family's more important.

Which Wallas? 

Brian

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: January 28, 2020, 07:50:31 AM »
Thank you,  I bought the 30GB, I plan on putting in a portable tank outside of the cabin under a seat box.  Sceptor makes some that will work, just got to make the fuel pickup 3/16".  I read people have trouble with the 5psi EPA vent not working causing deformation so need to look into fixing that vent...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008F92HJA/?coliid=I3SS65WP85K5VU&colid=H0AEYJUFI8XK&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

On another note, mounting the port soon and I remember reading mounting them level but need to make sure.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: January 28, 2020, 08:49:04 AM »
Is the tank compatible with diesel?  Usually, they're yellow or clear if they are.  Never having had to buy a plastic diesel tank, I'm not sure what the differences are, whether a gasoline tank is compatible with diesel or not, or vice versa.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: January 28, 2020, 09:37:11 AM »
Yes compatible.  Just not color correct.  Big label should do it, maybe find a diesel screw on cap in case I get old and cant remember.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: January 28, 2020, 09:48:19 AM »
Yes compatible.  Just not color correct.  Big label should do it, maybe find a diesel screw on cap in case I get old and cant remember.

Close enough!  A label would help prevent the local floating gas station from filling it with the wrong stuff...

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 28, 2020, 11:15:23 AM »
Even better, vented diesel cap: