Author Topic: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build  (Read 224723 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build
« Reply #750 on: December 08, 2020, 08:44:30 AM »
Yes on Wallas heater.  Spendy for sure but worth every penny.

It'll out-last you too... quality is worth paying for.

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: December 08, 2020, 12:33:14 PM »
Wabasto, espar, and wallas arw the ones I've been looking at.  I've yet to really be able to see the differences.  Did you tip the scales for wallas because of scanmarine being sorta near?

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: December 08, 2020, 04:03:03 PM »
They are probably all good choices, Its been almost a year and I cannot remember the differant price points.  I made my decision on a Wallas because my friend has one in is Thunderjet offshore and you can leave the doors open and keep warm on a cold day.  That was enough for me.  I did visit the scanmarine booth at the boat show but ordered it online, same price.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: December 11, 2020, 09:41:19 AM »
Had to take a look to see if I had 2 layers of glass on the shelves / side joint, what a relief..

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: December 16, 2020, 06:38:03 AM »
Rbob, how do you like that big ol aluminum cast hatch you bought?  I’m looking to put one in the cockpit to cover my fuel tank fittings. Did the quality of the product live up to the price?   Your .02 appreciated!
Thanks Todd

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: December 16, 2020, 07:51:59 AM »
It is bullet proof and maybe a little overkill but being on the swimstep its what I wanted.  Inside the cockpit probably wont matter much.  Try to get one that is not real tall, If you can flush mount it would be better, just have to have enough backing underneath.   

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #756 on: December 16, 2020, 08:29:54 AM »

For those that truly want the boat to float high when swamped or capsized (God forbid), the best deck hatches are the screw-down aluminum hatches that seal well.  Plastic deck plates (etc) do NOT seal well.  Small deck plates, say 8" diameter and smaller, can be gasketed and screwed down plates of polycarbonate ... those work well and you can see through them.  Best to have fuel manifolds, switches, etc higher than the deck and pass-throughs through the deck to under-deck passageways should be sealed etc.  The option is to fill under-deck areas with cut-to-fit closed-cell foam (polyethylene is best).  Anyway ... the deck plate discussion inspired me ... just my 2-bits :)

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: December 16, 2020, 10:34:54 AM »
Working on my Winldlass install,  I opted to mount the windlass on a piece of CE Grade Phelonic,  I did not want the windlass flexing the roof  / bolt holes with potential leaking in the future.

Used spray adhesive to mount the template, drill press to drill the holes and a friend with a bandsaw / oscillating drum sander and router  to make the finishing easy for me!

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: December 16, 2020, 10:48:42 AM »
Working on my Winldlass install,  I opted to mount the windlass on a piece of CE Grade Phelonic,  I did not want the windlass flexing the roof  / bolt holes with potential leaking in the future.

Used spray adhesive to mount the template, drill press to drill the holes and a friend with a bandsaw / oscillating drum sander and router  to make the finishing easy for me!

It did not have to be CE grade, just chose it because of the cloth thinking it is stronger. 

I made the pad about 1/2" +/- wider than the windlass and rounded.

I think this would be a good backing for the cleats and stern eyes.

https://www.ebay.com/str/Norva-Plastics-Inc/PHENOLIC/_i.html?_storecat=10847825

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: December 16, 2020, 03:07:12 PM »

For those that truly want the boat to float high when swamped or capsized (God forbid), the best deck hatches are the screw-down aluminum hatches that seal well.  Plastic deck plates (etc) do NOT seal well.  Small deck plates, say 8" diameter and smaller, can be gasketed and screwed down plates of polycarbonate ... those work well and you can see through them.  Best to have fuel manifolds, switches, etc higher than the deck and pass-throughs through the deck to under-deck passageways should be sealed etc.  The option is to fill under-deck areas with cut-to-fit closed-cell foam (polyethylene is best).  Anyway ... the deck plate discussion inspired me ... just my 2-bits :)
I'm not trying to save money on my build, but the solid poly blocks for under the PH when priced made me cringe.  I couldn't do it.  I think screw down aluminum hatch is what I want.  I haven't seen that as a option, so back to Google it is.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: December 16, 2020, 04:07:58 PM »

I'm not trying to save money on my build, but the solid poly blocks for under the PH when priced made me cringe.  I couldn't do it.  I think screw down aluminum hatch is what I want.  I haven't seen that as a option, so back to Google it is.

These are a good choice, 6" or 8" or 10"

http://stores.armstrongnauticalstore.com/deck-plates-1/

Or billet aluminum:
https://www.eddiemarine.com/shop/electrical/hatch-actuators/hatch-actuator-accessories/billet-aluminum-deck-access-plate-400-70

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #761 on: December 16, 2020, 06:41:26 PM »

These are a good choice, 6" or 8" or 10"

http://stores.armstrongnauticalstore.com/deck-plates-1/

Or billet aluminum:
https://www.eddiemarine.com/shop/electrical/hatch-actuators/hatch-actuator-accessories/billet-aluminum-deck-access-plate-400-70
Those are interesting deck plates. I have never seen one that doesn't have an outside ring. I will have to see if I can find any reviews on these
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: December 19, 2020, 06:20:01 PM »
A peak at my roof, it did not go as good as I wanted, I used a pressure pot and a cheap spray gun with 1.3 fluid nozzle.  Either this spray gun is a P.O.S. or I did not/could not get it adjusted right.  I will sand the clear coat smooth and spray it again with my go to spray gun Iwata lph400.  Its a big panel and I am a short guy so reaching across seemed a no brainer to use a pressure pot but it sucked for me.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: December 20, 2020, 04:53:33 PM »
It looks really good!
On a side note.  I find myself studying your work for inspiration.  I used your details for my doors into the wheel house.  I am wondering how mush reveal your left with on the window flange at the hinge mortise?

THX  Todd

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: December 20, 2020, 10:45:32 PM »
Todd,

Found a pic with a ruler on the aft cabin:  It looks like 4 inches without the window installed.