Author Topic: spray rail question  (Read 1548 times)

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
spray rail question
« on: January 31, 2022, 02:30:15 PM »
I am going full on Prince Rupert with my Kodiak and I am milling my spray rails. Got some white oak that I am using. Should I glass them or not? Also any thoughts of pre glassing the front spray rails and possibility of then getting them to bend in place as they follow the chine aft. Ms Jones has not told me if these will remain bright or I will paint them.Thanks in advance for any advice.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: spray rail question
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 02:51:32 PM »

Cool ... on that white oak, notice that while it's more rot-resistant than alternatives such as red oak or eastern white ash, it can sometimes have a little bit of a challenge sticking to epoxy (vice versa).  You'll want to sand and clean it right before applying epoxy ... 80-grit, ammonia, dry, vinegar, dry, then glue and install (or glass).  Because white oak 'might' have an issue with epoxy sticking, I'd hedge your bets and glass the aft, straight, Prince Rupert type spray rails.  You can probably get away with pre-glassing these since you won't be bending them around the forward half of the boat.

I assume you're referring to the aux. spray rails along the forward end of the chine?  If you glass first, it'll greatly stiffen up the wood and make it difficult to install.  Glass is very strong and unstretchable in tension.  If you want it glassed and bright-finished, install it first then glass it with 4-oz or 6-oz glass .... it disappears in epoxy and looks like there's no glass there, yet is still pretty durable and abrasion-resistant.

When you patch screw (or other) holes after installing rails, mix sawdust from similar-colored wood.  The sawdust will turn darker when it's mixed into the epoxy, but silica lightens it back up and helps it stay in the patched holes.  Fill them proud then carbide-scrape them smooth after they're at least mostly cured.  This is for bright-finished wood of course.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 08:33:36 AM »
I glassed mine in and painted. It was a bit more work but am glad that I did it. I don’t see any maintenance of them being needed for a long time if ever.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 08:55:08 AM »
I glassed mine in and painted. It was a bit more work but am glad that I did it. I don’t see any maintenance of them being needed for a long time if ever.

Ever see high floating docks with angle-iron trim?  :D
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 09:59:33 AM »
Thanks for the advise, I am going to glass the white oak and hope it holds up to those no so graceful docking events.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2022, 10:47:28 AM »
I glued mine to the boat in two layers.  Newport with smiley rails. I faired them, then  I glasses them to the hull with 3 layers of 6 oz. cloth cut on a 45* angle.  This was Brian’s idea.  It helped to make the tight radius of the inside and outside corners.  Then I faired it to the hull.  They look like they grew there and I am quite satisfied.  I tried pre glassing and it was nightmare for me on the   Newport. 

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2022, 11:54:41 AM »
Thanks for advice, Another question, Is this the proper orientation, I have been twisting on my head dealing with my dyslexia,
but thinks it seems right

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2022, 01:21:20 PM »
Looks right to me, bottom should be 90 degrees and sloped down from the top.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2022, 05:17:06 PM »

My dyslexia's kicking in too ... can't quite tell which angle is the right angle in the pic ... BUT, like a roof, the slanted side goes upward (towards the sky when the boat is upright), and the 90-degree side faces down (the water ... when you're floating upright :) ).  Due to the side flare, having the 90-degree side facing down actually catches water and drives it back downward.  At least that's the Big Idea ...