Author Topic: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build  (Read 224063 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build
« Reply #435 on: June 18, 2019, 04:57:49 AM »
Brian,

On the windshield panel's, is one layer of 9oz glass on each seam (inner and outer) sufficient or add a layer of biax?

Bob

Just the one strip of 4" wide 9-oz glass tape on window joints is fine (inside and outside) .... it's tough.  No biax.  :)

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 20, 2019, 05:48:53 PM »
Gees,
75 days to get windows...  Motion Windows is what I am going with, Diamond Sea Glaze was way more $$.

Clear windshields and light gray tint on everything else.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 05:49:18 PM by Rbob »

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 20, 2019, 07:10:50 PM »
When you get a second can you maybe post the number of windows and the cost when you get a second. Thanks

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 20, 2019, 07:30:04 PM »
Well it is more than I thought it would be, but tinted windows add some not sure how much.
10 windows was 3,700

on edit, Diamond Sea-glaze was $4,850 plus tax and shipping.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 07:33:34 PM by Rbob »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: June 21, 2019, 06:37:53 AM »
A lot of people use Wynne Enterprises windows - fair price - They come in a wide variety of styles, custom fit, and different levels of sturdiness ... your choice of tint and type of glass (tempered, laminated, different thicknesses, etc):

http://www.wynneinc.com/

Just an FYI - I have purchased Wynne windows myself in the past and was very happy.

Another way to save money is to use H-Channel (rubber) and Lexan / polycarbonate for windows that don't need to open and don't have wipers on them - Just buy custom windows for what you have to.

Brian

« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 06:56:50 AM by Brian.Dixon »
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 21, 2019, 08:00:22 AM »
I will give them a try, thank you for the info.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 21, 2019, 11:34:33 AM »
I will give them a try, thank you for the info.

They're worth a look and the wait time usually isn't too bad.  They have 'clamp in' windows that do not require holes or screws in your preciously epoxy encapsulated window frames too.  The inner frame screws into channels in the outer frame of the windows, clamping your plywood between.  I think they can go down to 1/4" thick plywood ... but check.  You may need a border strip around the window opening to thicken it up for mounting windows.

Brian

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 21, 2019, 02:45:05 PM »
Just looked  1/8"-2 1/2"bulkheads

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 23, 2019, 08:03:39 PM »
After a lot thinking and mocking up the sides again I moved the windows down so they would line up better with the windshields.  Still have port side to go.

I glassed both sides of the upper sides with 4oz. 

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 23, 2019, 09:33:35 PM »
Oh man.  That’s awesome!

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 24, 2019, 07:09:19 AM »
Looking great :)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 24, 2019, 07:53:50 AM »
Looks great!  You nailed the alignment!

Make sure there is enough boundary around each window for window frames to fit - Different brands will overlap the wood varying amounts.

Brian

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 30, 2019, 08:45:53 AM »
I installed the port side yesterday, I ran some blue tape along the pencil line I drew when test fitting, my contractor had an 8' strait edge I borrowed to make the line.  Install was easier than the other side, used the 1" brad nail gun and some small blocks covered with packing tape to make it stay in perfect alignment.  the other side I had rolled epoxy on the transition shelf then applied the glue and the blocks were slippery making it a little more challenging.  Learn as you go..

I will do the fillets and 4" tape on the seams today and cut the aft windows out, should have done that before bulkhead went up but I wanted to make sure windows were all somewhat uniform.

Couple pics: 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 30, 2019, 05:41:43 PM »
From here, the alignment and style, fit & finish all look really good.  Including space for windshield wipers.  It's going to be a nice boat :)

Brian

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 01, 2019, 09:20:00 AM »
"cut the aft windows out, should have done that before bulkhead went up"

Actually I am glad I did not cut them out, I ended up moving those down also to match up with side windows at the top.  I made them 28" tall,  hopefully looking aft from the helm will have a better view.

I did not get the fillets and taping done, connected upper/lower side aft where transition is and front transition where  meet windshield.

I should have used a strait edge when gluing in the front windhsield frames, I pushed them in tight to the windshield doubler,  maybe because of the angle not sure but they have a slight bow inward just at the bottom which I will have to fill before I glass the front.

Dang, wife needed here horse trailer tackroom floor replaced.... priority changed for a couple days.

Pics:

« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 09:31:35 AM by Rbob »