Author Topic: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build  (Read 224060 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build
« Reply #555 on: January 28, 2020, 12:02:43 PM »

Nice....
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: February 17, 2020, 09:51:48 AM »
Working on the rear fish box, takes me what seems like forever, glass both sides and fill coats before cutting out pieces and assembling.  You will notice a different color plywood, its Marine Sande plywood (not the stuff from Home Depot), its strong point is impact resistance and $60 a sheet.

Still have to cut the bulkhead for front hatch access, add doublers before installing bulkhead and a cutout for transom door. 

Progress pics:

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 17, 2020, 06:07:03 PM »
That really looks good !

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 04, 2020, 11:07:01 AM »
Not much progress, birthdays and memorial service taking a couple Saturdays.  That's life.

Still working on rear fish box, I wanted the inside corners to be round so I can use it as a livewell.  To make the corners round I bought a cardboard tube: https://www.lowes.com/pd/QUIKRETE-Common-6-in-Actual-5-5-in-QUIK-TUBE-48-in-Concrete-Tube-Form/3017526  and wrapped it with a layer of biaxial and a layer of cloth, easy and cheap.  I cut it in 4 pieces on the tablesaw and removed the peel ply and installed.  I am going to use epoxy and glass bubbles to fill the void (no cabosil) it should flow good enough to fill completely.  No pics of the tube...

I will add blue dye and coat it several times before installing the lid. 

Couple pics:

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 04, 2020, 02:48:50 PM »

Nice work!  Did you find any voids in the Sande?  Your's looks pretty tight...

WARNING: When you use straight epoxy to fill behind your nice curved corner pieces, do it a small step at a time ... the stuff can exotherm badly enough to reach 400 F ... not enough to ignite, but hot enough to cause damage.  Can't tell (or guess) how hot YOURS will get, but experiment with how deep you can go with each pour before you just fill it and let it go...  Let a batch kick off in a clear plastic cup (outdoors, on gravel or dirt) and watch the cup melt....  8)

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #560 on: March 04, 2020, 04:58:27 PM »
I was going to mention the exotherm, I had a small pile of quikfair start smoking on me a short while back after I didn't spread it out enough and held onto too long, a pint of epoxy kicking off somewhere on a multiyear project would cause me all kinds of anxiety haha... I researched sande after you mentioned it rbob and all I found was interior grade, is there a specific exterior grade sande plywood?

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 04, 2020, 07:18:13 PM »
Well,

Too late for the exotherm experiment, sob..  I will report back.  Its not strait epoxy about 1/2 volume glass bubbles.  I think I will run back up to the shop and take its temp.

Voids in the Sande, yes a few small ones.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 04, 2020, 07:48:52 PM »
Temp is luke warm after a couple hours.  So I dont know how warm it got.  Its a small void, less than an inch thick but its 12 inches tall.

I cut the transom door, its a 9" rise from the step that will build and will flip down inboard. 

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 04, 2020, 07:51:25 PM »
The Sande I found is marine grade.  Found it in Tacoma, not far for me.  I would not use it for the hull but for anything add on why not.

https://www.awi-wa.com/products/sheet-products/marine-plywood/
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 07:53:28 PM by Rbob »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 05, 2020, 05:56:13 AM »
I was going to mention the exotherm, I had a small pile of quikfair start smoking on me a short while back after I didn't spread it out enough and held onto too long, a pint of epoxy kicking off somewhere on a multiyear project would cause me all kinds of anxiety haha... I researched sande after you mentioned it rbob and all I found was interior grade, is there a specific exterior grade sande plywood?

Edensaw is a reputable supplier and they sell marine grade Sande too.

bd

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 05, 2020, 05:59:50 AM »
Glad the epoxy fill didn't create any issues.  Is it just my eyes, or are there tiny bubbles in the epoxy fill?  If so, then it probably did get hot ... but the bubbles don't hurt anything.

You're boat's coming along well ...

Brian

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 05, 2020, 09:40:53 AM »
Reminds me of a song, Tiny Bubbles, in the wine!

Yes tiny bubbles but I am pretty sure they were there when I poured the thick (thicker than pancake batter) mix.  It did settle just a bit so who knows.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 05, 2020, 09:52:26 AM »

All done ... all good!   ;D 8)

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 15, 2020, 09:09:38 PM »
Finally got the last of the sheer decks down.  Still need to cover with glass & epoxy.  I broke off about 6-7  brads and had to dig the out so I will finish this week with the glass work. 

Update pics:

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 15, 2020, 10:27:38 PM »
Everything you do looks prostyle.  When you filled the corners of the fish box can you fill it in lifts?