Author Topic: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build  (Read 224523 times)

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build
« Reply #570 on: March 16, 2020, 07:48:15 AM »
Thank you for the compliment,  pro style = cover your mistakes!

I seem to make plenty, I doubled up the top of the fish box, cut the hole for the hatch and marked out the inside and added the doubler....  I thought that was awesome until I tried to glue the sheer deck down and it did not fit due to the rounded corners I added, sob epoxy every where so a big rush to mark and cut the corners.  Scraped back the epoxy on the corners, set the skillsaw to 1/2" deep and made 4-5 passes on each corner and chiseled the corners off and install. 

Thank goodness for slow epoxy.   

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #571 on: March 16, 2020, 11:12:53 AM »
Thank you for the compliment,  pro style = cover your mistakes!

I seem to make plenty, I doubled up the top of the fish box, cut the hole for the hatch and marked out the inside and added the doubler....  I thought that was awesome until I tried to glue the sheer deck down and it did not fit due to the rounded corners I added, sob epoxy every where so a big rush to mark and cut the corners.  Scraped back the epoxy on the corners, set the skillsaw to 1/2" deep and made 4-5 passes on each corner and chiseled the corners off and install. 

Thank goodness for slow epoxy.

LOL ... Every boat has SOMETHING hidden in it!

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 17, 2020, 06:40:28 AM »
Even if you have something “hidden” your work is easy on the eyes.  You have some skills I haven’t figured out.  For one, how are you cutting the perfect reliefs for your hinges and hatches?  Router I presume, but what’s the pro tip?

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 17, 2020, 10:00:46 AM »
Hinges I did with a router, thanks to google for figuring out how to make template's and double sided tape. Just match router bit to hinge radius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnqP3qVjCLY

The hatch lids I used a skill saw with a guide to make perfectly strait cuts then inserted a jig saw to do the corners and a little sanding in the corners.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 17, 2020, 07:21:03 PM »
Ahh you make it sound so easy

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 17, 2020, 08:05:57 PM »
It was easy after I did it a couple times.  Videos helped a lot.

Well I spent 2 hours contemplating drilling a hole for the slam latch with a confused look on my face..  scared of ruining a hatch lid.  So I made about 6 different mock ups.    I will drill the holes tomorrow when I am fresh.

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 18, 2020, 08:31:40 AM »
Lol, I have delayed drilling my scupper holes for two months. That’s a big hole in a nice transom.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 18, 2020, 06:03:52 PM »
I’m going out the sides in front of the splash well.  Works in my case with the raised decks and sheer. 

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 18, 2020, 06:07:30 PM »
Didn’t think of that. Hmmm

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 19, 2020, 06:43:04 AM »
I don’t know how much you can distress the transom. If you built the bracket extension who cares.  It will just drain onto the swim deck.  I don’t have room to build that way.  My .02

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 19, 2020, 08:09:38 PM »
Back to boat progress, spent the day mocking up the seating and mounting the suspension to the slider, what a mis-match.  Seat has 5 x 12 mount pattern as does the suspension but the slider only has 5 x 12 on one side and some bastard pattern on the other side.  So my solution was to take one of the slider mounts and swap it out so the slider will have 5 x 12 on both sides.  Just have to go get 2 more pieces of aluminum for the other slider. 

I went with Deckmate Pontoon premium seating, so comfortable I almost fell asleep testing it.

Pics:

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 20, 2020, 11:37:06 AM »
Nice. Lets see those front seats

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 12:14:53 PM by Rbob »

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 20, 2020, 09:31:36 PM »
I fell off my boat, landed on my side and cracked some ribs.  Off of the swim step (had moving blanket hanging over the edge) landing on my side. 

After I caught my breath I mixed up some epoxy and put a tack coat around the perimeter of the rear sheer decks, layed down for a couple hours and went back up to add fairing compound to the sheer deck / side seam.

Way to painful to work right now so taking a little time off to recover.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 21, 2020, 08:09:26 AM »
Oh no!   Hope you heal up quick.  No fun