Author Topic: Ed's boat in Perth  (Read 125752 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Ed's boat in Perth
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2012, 01:36:33 AM »
Did you see the vids of that 28 footer?  The guy in the camera boat going full throttle and the 28-footer haulin' arse and passin' him!  Adrian, the owner, told me that he had more throttle left but backed off at 47 kts... I only designed and modeled for 40, so that's a good thing.  He picked up a bit of porpoising at speeds above 47, but hey, I can't model for those high speeds.  I think his CG was a big aft, else it would go over 50 no problem.  High speed boats have a monohedron hull form and this boat has it, so I suspect the CG needs a bit of tuning and he'd rock and set records... a real go-fast boat!  Not bad for just haulin' a bit of tuna home... First out, first back, back in time for seared tuner next to the eggs and bisquits... life is good!

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2012, 06:54:47 AM »
Good GOD for real! That's haulin arse! Ant that's one of the reasons I liked this design, see I'm on the Indian ocean, there are no Island's and such to cruise around and get outta that weather coming in.... The west coast off Perth is void! No "nice little nooks and crannies" on the coast to shelter in, just git da flock back and tie her up!

Then those wee fishies on da BBQ.... Mmmmmm fresh, sweet, in butter too, yea baby!
Bit'a lemon an spices Mmmmmmm pieces fallin off ur fork.......

Oh heck, gotta put a pic or 2 up on the hull to remind me why I'm in there doin this lol
Not waving....... Drowning!

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 20, 2012, 10:03:32 PM »
Here's the substance of email's Brian & I had over motors and propulsion system, arguments for and agin.

Just another decision to be sorted....

From Brian:

Without weights of the components, I can't model the CG very well, especially on your version of the boat... but I'm going to guess that the closer the motor can get to the transom, the better.  For propeller shaft angle, this isn't as good, but you do need to keep the CG in the right envelope so you don't create a boat that tends to bow-steer (CG too far forward) or porpoise (CG too far aft), and you'd prefer to keep the decks self-bailing, e.g. the boat, while at rest, trims slightly bow-up ...say 1-1/2" to 2" high at the bow for your boat length.  If there is a risk of this not being true, consider compensating by slanting the decks downward toward the stern so water will drain out when nobody's aboard and the boat is docked in the rain.  You would add long tapered spacers on top of the main stringers to do this, install them, then fit the web stringers and below-decks web bulkheads to this new run of the deck.

So ...I'm curious.  Why an inboard?  I understand avoiding issues with the leg on a sterndrive, and wanting better fuel economy than an outboard gives ...but does an inboard with its downward cant to the propeller shaft give better mileage?  Its line of thrust would seem to be a bit less than optimal.  And you don't get steerage without being underway, and pretty much zero steerage in reverse.  I'm curious why you want the inboard ...what are the advantages?  If the inboard has the economy of the sterndrive, then I get it... but if not, then hmmmm?

Thx,
Brian

From Ed

Well, Brian, I don't  like outboards for a few reasons, on this boat, Petrol, not keen in the boat, taking a wopping 1/3 of the duck board space, batteries - how can the O/B charge all those, I will have on board, (ex - airline batteries, they're sealed and light.) now here's a rider, there will only be enough to cover the amperage I will use, solar panels to top up when at rest. Aircon & diesel heater, I can run this off the diesel, for those times of inclement weather.
There is here a nice place to 'drive' too, but it's 800 klm north, then while there why not go see Coral Bay - a further 1800 km north, hence the big tankage and diesel donk.
Auto pilot and GPS along with coffee's will be a nice crusie trip. looking at a 3 month trip.

The downwards cant on the prop I find an issue too, what to do?
The V drive ($5k) is 12 deg, the donk will be bolted as far back as possible allowing a little room to service stuff 'tween it and the transom.
Water ballast tanks are an option and will be allowed for in the build. So if needed I can plumb them up later.

Ed

From Brian

Oh yeah …diesel gets better mileage.  A sterndrive would get better than the V-drive inboard, no?

I’ll try to model your boat for you, but it’ll be a bit before I can get to it and I’ll have to make some estimates …it won’t be exact (of course, it never is, right?)

Brian

Ed's revelation!

ok, so, there's 5k for the V drive, another 3k for the rest to the prop incl rudder, even say up to 10k for it all, that's enough to get a reasonable stern drive..... Oi like it.....

Ed

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 30, 2012, 01:43:32 AM »
Jeepers those insitu tanks take some work!

A few pix to wet ur head..... yep head, lotta sweat in the build, here it's a week of over 37 deg.
Mixing resin in half liter amounts, goes off SO quick, I get about 1M X 500mm on 12 Oz double bias done atta time, Sam gave a hand applying the peel ply.
Tanks need 0.02" or 0.58mm thick glass build on the insides, used 450gm Dbl Bias.

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2012, 01:45:38 AM »
Baffles, glassing those scuppers before the instal, much easier and more importantly, a good glass/resin seal

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 30, 2012, 07:02:21 AM »
Jeepers, glassing! I'm over it!

Just glass skinned the sides of the baffles, other side 2moro.

Glassed 2 sides of the tanks, other 2 sides 2moro, then baffles in, filleting, sand some, lottsa coats of epoxy resin over all of it, need 0.58mm thick.

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 30, 2012, 07:03:31 AM »
 :P

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 30, 2012, 07:08:31 AM »
 ??? peel ply over the 12 Oz Dbl Bias cloth seen here.
2 side done, other 2 tomorrow.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 30, 2012, 07:44:54 AM »
Great and fast progress!  Lookin' good!

That's one huge centerline stringer too...

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 31, 2012, 01:35:57 AM »
Well, there's 2 of'm there Brian, for when t does the splits!

Heck it's so hot here in Perth, been 37c + mostly 40c that my resin is hard in hour an half!
The timber is that dry, I wet-out b4 glassing I let cure an hour, then glass, as the timber keeps soaking up resin out of the laminate.

Tank glassing again 2day, 3 cheers for Christmas break!

Now for some thunking on other things tankage

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: December 31, 2012, 06:45:28 AM »
Is that an extra stringer I see running on top of the fair body joint? Looks like it runs the full length.
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 31, 2012, 07:11:04 AM »
Gidday Grady 'ol chap.

Yep, 'tis an all, there's 2 in there, ready for the 'cut' shes oing to be made wider by aboat 3 Ft or there aboats, see as life wood have it, this boat wood've been in the tide now, but as it is it sits in the 'shed'

My building partner Herb was to have bought me out bout now, or starting too, but as life is he has other 'things'
 that came up with his growing family, and being that I'm a neat guy  ::) I let'm.

So I was to start a 40 Ft'er now, but as life has it, this is it, 'cept she'll be a few foot shorter, but when split this one a few foot longer.....  ???
I built her as long as the sheets fell on the bench when the bottom planks were scarf'ed, ended up a few foot longer than the 28 ft'er..... :P from memory - and thats a short term thing too - shes aboat 31 ft as the crow flies. Upset Brian that much he changed vocations and got himself a speedster woman, plurry nice one two!  :o

So, Mr Grady sir, hows ur ship going?

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 31, 2012, 07:12:52 AM »
Chivers, I've become a sub-lootenant, wot da flock is one'n those?

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: December 31, 2012, 08:13:05 AM »
Mr. sub-lootenant
I guess that means you be a bit further along in you build process than I am. I am just getting started with the cad work to send to my CNC to cut her out. I am going to be providing kits for the GA in 25, 26, 27 & 28 foot so I am doing the cad work for all four models before I actually cut my kit out. I currently have only been selling Tolman Kits thus far but have sent some prices out for the GA.
I also need to sell my Grady White Marlin 300 before the little women (the boss) will let me start building another boat.

Did I read you post correct on you beam width? how wide is you beam at midships at shear deck?
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 31, 2012, 03:56:44 PM »
Chivers, I've become a sub-lootenant, wot da flock is one'n those?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub-lieutenant

bd