Author Topic: Kodiak 31' 4"' OAL 9'6" Beam West Coast Boat Works, Bend OR.  (Read 68809 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Kodiak 30' OAL 9'6" Beam West Coast Boat Works, Bend OR.
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2020, 04:45:49 PM »

Good ... your stringer height change exactly balances the change in height on the 'temporary framing'.  That'll keep the side panels the same ... can't get too tall with them, else they may not span chine flat-to-shelf distance.  But you kept that distance as designed, so all good...

Sweet progress!

Brian

I'll double check that for you.  There should be room, but I'll double check ...

Brian

Hmmm, That makes me wonder if I will get my side height above the self 4"-6" about where my aft wheelhouse starts up to the bow for my bulwark?
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2020, 10:44:26 PM »
How much deeper is the kodiac model?   

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2020, 05:00:45 AM »
How much deeper is the kodiac model?

The Kodiak is 5" deeper than the standard Great Alaskan.... The Kodiak is about 5'9" deep as measured from the tip of the bow down to the keel.

Hope that helps,
Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2020, 04:23:40 PM »
Today's progress:
Transom glued on, Stringers set in place dry fitted, Bottom set on top to see if any scribing the stringers to the hull needs to be done (very little needs to be done they fit well) Next step is to glue the stringers in and then glue the bottom to stringers, transom and bow stem. Then time to start prepping to put fit the sides. Still need to cut side panels out and scarf 2 different section together. I will also glass the inside of the side panels prior to putting on the hull, much easier than doing it later. 
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2020, 07:03:59 AM »
Looks great. Keep the pics coming

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2020, 02:22:00 PM »

When viewed from the side, do your shelves describe a smooth nice looking sheerline?  Just double-checking on those new Kodiak shelf mold specs... :D

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2020, 02:54:19 PM »

When viewed from the side, do your shelves describe a smooth nice looking sheerline?  Just double-checking on those new Kodiak shelf mold specs... :D
yep they look a bit wonkie in the photo. looking from the aft end siting down the shelves it is good and straight up to mold #2. from mold#2 they take a nice smooth curve up to the bow stem.
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2020, 04:38:54 PM »

yep they look a bit wonkie in the photo. looking from the aft end siting down the shelves it is good and straight up to mold #2. from mold#2 they take a nice smooth curve up to the bow stem.

Sounds like they've got the right shape, smooth.  Curve is almost nil in the back half of the boat, then the sheer sweeps upward to the bow.  The Great Alaskan series of boats do not have a 'low spot' in the middle, but rise continuously from stern to stem.  So all good? No tweaks for me to be aware of?

Brian

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2020, 05:00:01 PM »

Sounds like they've got the right shape, smooth.  Curve is almost nil in the back half of the boat, then the sheer sweeps upward to the bow.  The Great Alaskan series of boats do not have a 'low spot' in the middle, but rise continuously from stern to stem.  So all good? No tweaks for me to be aware of?

Brian

It's all been coming together great, love the look so far. It's also fun to have it out in the plant when I walk clients through. They look at me with amazement in there face. Can't wait to get it flipped with the cuddy and wheelhouse on it.
 Been going slow the last few days. Been getting my workspace all set-up now that I have more room. Up to this point I have been in a high traffic flow path through the plant. I have appointments tomorrow then heading out of town for the weekend. I'm sure it will be right where I left it...lol
Next step is to fit the bow stem, very little if any scribing on the stringers then glue it on.
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2020, 07:07:04 AM »
Cool :D.  Having something exciting in the shop puts clients in a good mood ... hopefully, result in more business for you :D

I have not heard of anybody having to do any trimming on the stringers .... they just fit and fit well.  The only trimming is cutting them off flush with the transom.  Bow stems always have to be trimmed/planed to fit the hull though ... :)

bd

« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 07:07:53 AM by Brian.Dixon »

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2020, 08:39:20 AM »
Cool :D.  Having something exciting in the shop puts clients in a good mood ... hopefully, result in more business for you :D

I have not heard of anybody having to do any trimming on the stringers .... they just fit and fit well.  The only trimming is cutting them off flush with the transom.  Bow stems always have to be trimmed/planed to fit the hull though ... :)

bd
Yea the stringers do fit well, just me being a little OCD...lol
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2020, 10:56:00 AM »

Someone I won't name, once pinged me about an error in the loftings ... turns out that there was a 1/16" gap between his bottom panels :D :D :D

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2020, 12:11:43 PM »

Someone I won't name, once pinged me about an error in the loftings ... turns out that there was a 1/16" gap between his bottom panels :D :D :D
It couldn't have been me I would only let you know if it was 3/32"  ;) ;) ;)
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2020, 08:56:23 AM »
Build has slowed over the last 2 or 3 weeks taking time for summer fun and of course work always gets in the way. Thinking ahead on colors for the hull. Top side sheer shelves up will be white, looking for coments on hull colors. Love to hear any and all pro & con comments. Also cast your vote on your favorite color
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 08:57:36 AM by Grady300 »
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2020, 09:16:55 AM »

All colors look good on a Great Alaskan!  I'm partial to classic colors, personally, like the burgundy above, or marlin blue, or clover/sage green.  But that turquoise one down in the Bahamas really looks fantastic, and so do the cream colored ones.  Take a look at Sunbrella bimini cloth colors while you're thinking ... you may find that an awning or cover color that strikes your fancy might go with one color better than another ... either an accent (contrast) color, or in the same color family.  Paint jobs look best when selected as a 3-color system, e.g. darker on the hull, light on the decks and superstructure, navy grey on the roofs etc.  That's my opinion ... worth what you paid!  :D

bd