Author Topic: GA30 in Silverton Oregon  (Read 63951 times)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Re: GA28 in Silverton Oregon
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2020, 10:40:41 PM »
Good to see you getting going.  That batch of epoxy will be the first of many!   I think I’m up to 30 gallons, with about 2 gallons to go before I’m out.  Hope the mixer works well for you.  I tend to over pour the gardener by a gram or two on every batch

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2020, 06:16:46 AM »

Randy ... what video editing software are you using?

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2020, 06:53:59 AM »
Good to see you getting going.  That batch of epoxy will be the first of many!   I think I’m up to 30 gallons, with about 2 gallons to go before I’m out.  Hope the mixer works well for you.  I tend to over pour the gardener by a gram or two on every batch
Why do I always go through so much epoxy. The kodiak is bigger but not that much. I just finished of 45 gallons, I love my epoxy pump it saves soooooo much time!!!!!
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2020, 07:42:36 AM »
I’m counting just epoxy gallons not including hardener.  Are you?

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2020, 07:53:26 AM »
Yep I buy 15 gallon kits so my 45 gallons include hardener. 30 gallons of resin 15 gallons of hardner
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2020, 10:57:18 AM »

Randy ... what video editing software are you using?

I’m just using the iMovie software on my iPhone. It’s incredibly easy! I’m sure there are similar apps for other platforms. I’ve done video editing over the years and I can hardly believe how simple it’s become.
Randy Henry, SILVERTON Oregon
Randy_Henry@msn.com

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2020, 11:01:27 AM »
Yep I buy 15 gallon kits so my 45 gallons include hardener. 30 gallons of resin 15 gallons of hardner

I’m hoping to keep it under 30 but it’s not like I’ll switch to Elmers Glue if it takes more. You’re doing some pretty cool features on yours that takes some extra glue I’m guessing. I’m in La Pine for a couple days - Wish i could drop by and see your progress!
Randy_Henry@msn.com

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2020, 11:09:54 AM »
I’ll be cutting the bow stem and sheer shelves this weekend. Question. I have access to two very nice and sentimental pieces of wood that would be great for the stem. One is a 4x6 rough cut ponderosa beam from the original cabin my grandfather built in 1960, since torn down. Knot-free, solid, and straight. The other is a gorgeous tight/straight grain old growth Douglas fir beam I’ve used in various places for 30 years - kids swing for a while, then as a porch post. it’s more weathered then the ponderosa but is solid. Would the Ponderosa be okay for the stem? I’ll plane it down to ensure it’s solid. I’d love to say I’ve got a piece of Grandpa’s cabin in my boat. I know the Doug fir is probably better though.
Randy_Henry@msn.com

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2020, 11:23:33 AM »
Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  :)
Randy_Henry@msn.com

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2020, 10:42:36 PM »

I’m hoping to keep it under 30 but it’s not like I’ll switch to Elmers Glue if it takes more. You’re doing some pretty cool features on yours that takes some extra glue I’m guessing. I’m in La Pine for a couple days - Wish i could drop by and see your progress!
Stop on buy. I'll be there Friday morning till around 10 am strat around 6am then got plans. I'll be there till around 2-3 pm both sat&sun. Id stick with the fir for the bow stem
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2020, 08:42:56 AM »
Thanks! I’ll take your advice. I’m being lazy this morning so probably won’t make it.
Randy_Henry@msn.com

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2020, 10:27:03 AM »
My first effort at scarfing yesterday. I won’t be able to glue today because I don’t have my fiberglass additives yet, but I should be able to work on some other parts. The plywood is all cut to width, the stem is done and the shop organization continues as I go.

https://youtu.be/XWTTXVHvdgI
Randy_Henry@msn.com

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2020, 07:32:58 PM »
Well, my first bonehead move of the build, the first of a few I’m sure. I was finishing up scarfing and realized the two half-sheets of plywood that needed scarfing were not 3/8”! They we’re 1/2”. Wasted sheet. Hopefully there will be opportunity to use the 1/2” as scrap of or for other parts.
Randy_Henry@msn.com

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2020, 10:39:22 PM »
Those scarfs look perfect enough.  Great work!   One thin I discovered was it was easier to make all the scarfs just right when I put an extra sheet on the bottom of the stack to sacrifice.  Makes it easier for me to get the “first” sheet I need,  to a better scarf.  Your doing a good job

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2020, 06:59:44 AM »
Those scarfs look perfect enough.  Great work!   One thing I discovered was it was easier to make all the scarfs just right when I put an extra sheet on the bottom of the stack to sacrifice.  Makes it easier for me to get the “first” sheet I need,  to a better scarf.  Your doing a good job

There will be PLENTY of need for that 3/8" wood later :) ...

I usually just use a narrow, full-width, piece of scrap under the bottom sheet when milling the scarfs ... say 48" wide by 14" to 16" wide.  You can re-use this piece on subsequent scarfing work - just line up the previously-cut scarf with the scarf lines on the edges of the to-be scarfed wood on top.  It'll still help guide that power hand planer.

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>