Author Topic: 13 Bananas New Jersey Kodiak  (Read 10276 times)

barrelroll

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 13 Bananas New Jersey Kodiak
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2022, 06:27:59 PM »
The name is awesome, I was wishing I could bounce some ideas off of him the other day. You are making great progress. On my Tolman I did the spray rails after fairing and ended up with a mess of squeeze out that kicked off too quick. I'd put a line of blue tape and some $.99 drop cloths (i get them from Raka) just below the spray rail if you haven't put them on yet.

cj8mule

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2022, 04:52:33 PM »
The name is awesome, I was wishing I could bounce some ideas off of him the other day. You are making great progress. On my Tolman I did the spray rails after fairing and ended up with a mess of squeeze out that kicked off too quick. I'd put a line of blue tape and some $.99 drop cloths (i get them from Raka) just below the spray rail if you haven't put them on yet.

We all lost a great advocate with Dave's passing.  I'm missing him right now while slugging it out with some guy who thinks stitch and glue boats have no business in the ocean.  This is on a facebook page called plywood boat building.  Dave would have ate this guys lunch!  lol

I had to fair first before adding the spray rails because of a few scarfs on the side panels.  It wasn't real bad, but it's so much easier to make sure everything is flat and good without spray rails in the way.   I hear you about creating a mess!  It's hard to sand any epoxy drips on top of a softer fairing material.  I have another month to finish the fairing and installing the spray rails before the temps are good enough for painting.  The F/V Uncle Dave needs to be flipped and on it's way to Florida in May.

--dave

cj8mule

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2022, 08:17:10 AM »
F/V Uncle Dave got sanded a bunch more, some sealer primer, and 3 top coats of Alexseal Cloud White.  I'm really impressed with this product.  It was $1200 for all the filler primer, primer, and top coat, but worth it.  There's still a half gallon of top coat, but the primers are all but gone.  The flip party will be on May 7th with May 14th being the rain date.  The movers come the 18th and the boat will be moved a few days later to Florida to be finished.  Can't wait to get F/V Uncle Dave on the new trailer and in the new barn.

Creature features...  that's not a bug on your screen

--dave

sprig1

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2022, 03:41:57 PM »
Wow you are making great progress! Congrats

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2022, 08:03:36 PM »
It looks amazing!!!!

cj8mule

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2022, 05:50:16 PM »
Boat flipping last weekend!  Everything went well and had plenty of great help around.  We used Jake's John Deer tractor and a skidsteer rental to pick the boat up a few inches.  Then, we disassembled the jig the boat was on. 

We created a pocket for both the front and rear forks to allow the boat to slide forward and backward.  That way Jake and I had a little room for error and didn't have to move the tractor/skidsteer exactly at the same speed.

We calculated the boat weight to be around 2000 pounds so we used the tractor to do the flipping once we got it out on the grass.  Then we used the forks to raise the bow and drove the trailer under and winched it up.

Now it's time for some epoxy and fiberglass work.  I want to get everything protected before moving this boat down the highway.  Rain and bare wood is not a good thing even if it is marine plywood.

--dave

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2022, 08:58:55 PM »
Its amazing how many ways builders have flipped there boats, you have the first skidsteer assisted flip.  Your doing a great job, nice and clean work!

Congrats on the flip!

:)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2022, 07:38:23 AM »

Congratulations on this major milestone!  Looking great!

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

cj8mule

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2022, 09:33:47 AM »
Its amazing how many ways builders have flipped there boats, you have the first skidsteer assisted flip.  Your doing a great job, nice and clean work!

Congrats on the flip!

:)

Right?  I've flipped them with 10 guys, and with wheels on the jig and a small lawn tractor.  I'm just older now and didn't want to mess with a 2000 pound hull.  My build space is narrow and roof is so low.

Thanks, the flip went pretty well and now the real fun work begins :)

--dave

cj8mule

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2022, 09:38:35 AM »

Thanks Brian.  And by the way, your plans rock.

I'm going to throw some painters tape on the transom and put your website address on with black sharpie.  Maybe that'll throw some business your way on that 1000 mile trip down interstate 95 to FL.  It'll at least cut down on one question people will be asking.  lol.  My green tolman has been all over the north east and florida.  I can't pull in a rest stop or gas station with out people asking questions.  haha

--dave

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2022, 05:26:03 PM »

Thanks Brian.  And by the way, your plans rock.

I'm going to throw some painters tape on the transom and put your website address on with black sharpie.  Maybe that'll throw some business your way on that 1000 mile trip down interstate 95 to FL.  It'll at least cut down on one question people will be asking.  lol.  My green tolman has been all over the north east and florida.  I can't pull in a rest stop or gas station with out people asking questions.  haha

--dave

Love it! ... in memory of Nolan, blue painter tape on the transom with "Glacier Boats of Alaska" hand-written in black sharpie!

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

cj8mule

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2023, 03:33:12 PM »
Oh man...  has it been a year since an update! 

The move to Florida definitely got in the way of boat building that's for sure.  I'm ready to let some sawdust fly and some epoxy to fling  :)  I finished boxing in the motor pod and spent the last couple of weeks sanding and fairing. 

Next up is cutting a tuna/dive door in the transom to help this old man in/out of the boat.

--dave

cj8mule

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2023, 05:02:50 PM »
The 30X50 boat barn finally passed all the inspections so I'm back on the Kodiak.  This boat is a beast to fair and sand...  it just keeps going and going....  and going.   lol

It's not part of the plans, but we decided to put a wood rub rail on at the sheer line.  It's almost faired in and ready for fiberglass, but I'm going to build the anchor pulpit first.  We've decided to stick with a normal size cuddy, a 10' pilot house, and a 12' fishing deck. 

I ordered some micro ballons and wood flour this week from fiberglass supply.  The price for both almost went up 50% compared to 16 months ago.  I'm almost out of ply and am not looking forward to seeing how much that's increased.  Everything gone up but my pay check...  lol

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2023, 07:10:20 AM »

That's a lot of cockpit - you'll want to try to keep heavier weights aft, don't put a big fuel tank forward, etc ... balance the boat right, in other words. You'll get better gas mileage if your at-rest trim is slightly up.  The trim, a little up or down at the bow, doesn't matter so much except that the boat is more optimal with a wee bit of bow-up trim.  It's a good goal to have.  The latest Kodiak addendum has advice on how to do this, and when you get there, it's not a bad idea to float the boat at a dock and add buckets of sand or tube-sand in various places to emulate what's left to go into the boat ... then tune as necessary. 

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2023, 03:02:24 PM »
with all the of the concerns regarding weight in the Kodiak I'm glad I went with the standard GA.   It would be nice to have another 2 feet of cockpit, but I never intended to have more than 2 buddies along on trips.  I feel the pain for everyone building now and I'm glad I was able to when I did.  Prices for materials are crazy.