Author Topic: Diesel stern drive  (Read 1626 times)

tule peak timber

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Diesel stern drive
« on: February 13, 2023, 04:21:33 PM »
I'm just curious if anyone has set up a diesel stern drive. I read the plans and they say 1500 LBS. or less and this leaves room for some set ups that are on the market. I've been calling around for a couple of days to MerCruiser, Cummins and Volvo Penta and haven't had much success connecting with people that sell new engine packages. Surely someone has put up a 200-250 hp single stern drive in a Great Alaskan? I'm just not able to find much information.
Help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Diesel stern drive
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 04:42:52 PM »

Nobody's put one in yet, but it would be an outstanding power solution ... really great for those that plan on looong runs.  Sterndrives are the most efficient solution, and diesels better than gas (I actually recommend against gasser I/Os ... fume/explosion hazard)

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 05:21:46 PM »
Love the diesel idea just not sure if I would ever want another stern drive. I had a 286 Albamarlie with a sterndrive. I loved not having the outboards hanging off the back but I was always worried about some rubber boot springing a big leek, because I moore my boats 24/7/365 for the most part. I wonder if you could do a "V" drive like the old hot boats used back in the 70's. They were running big blocks I'm sure it would handel a 250 hp diesel. That would keep the motor far aft.
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

tule peak timber

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2023, 06:00:01 PM »
I did manage to talk to Helmut about Volvo Penta. He is the distributer for Volvo for the Western side of the planet. I very much appreciate talking to a knowledgeable professional and I consider him a principal, much like Brian is. Very helpful guy!
So, he has about 100 engines coming in shortly in the 230 and 270 hp class with package weights at about 1300 LBS. I'll keep studying. I remember a great number of Volvo Penta packages in the urchin industry during the 1980's. They are not inexpensive, but he is saying they get really good mileage in a 30' size solid glass boat, say 7-8,000 LBS. Makes me wonder! I am curious.
  Never owned a stern drive myself but plenty of diesels. I'm very familiar with the V drive concept Chuck, as I worked on a Uniflite 42 with twin Cummins 903's set up that way.  A U joint let go,,,KA BOOM and it was off to the insurance company.
 Helmut was explaining the new I/O packages have a lot of sensors to detect water contamination from wound up fishing line etc. He also said the Volvo has a new trolling switch for super slow speed lure presentation. Interesting ::)

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2023, 08:17:00 AM »
I did manage to talk to Helmut about Volvo Penta. He is the distributer for Volvo for the Western side of the planet. I very much appreciate talking to a knowledgeable professional and I consider him a principal, much like Brian is. Very helpful guy!
So, he has about 100 engines coming in shortly in the 230 and 270 hp class with package weights at about 1300 LBS. I'll keep studying. I remember a great number of Volvo Penta packages in the urchin industry during the 1980's. They are not inexpensive, but he is saying they get really good mileage in a 30' size solid glass boat, say 7-8,000 LBS. Makes me wonder! I am curious.
  Never owned a stern drive myself but plenty of diesels. I'm very familiar with the V drive concept Chuck, as I worked on a Uniflite 42 with twin Cummins 903's set up that way.  A U joint let go,,,KA BOOM and it was off to the insurance company.
 Helmut was explaining the new I/O packages have a lot of sensors to detect water contamination from wound up fishing line etc. He also said the Volvo has a new trolling switch for super slow speed lure presentation. Interesting ::)
That's one thing I love about this forum, I learn something almost every time I'm on it!!! I had not heard about the new sensors ect. solves the worry issues. Also good pint on the V drive U joint. My Albemarle his a big block inboard with a long shaft back to the Penta unit. Pretty much the same issue, a joint gives and ya got serious problems. Good info thanks!!!
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

tule peak timber

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2023, 07:13:07 AM »
Chuck, the Uniflite V-drive was a remote style V-drive and when a joint let go there was massive havoc causing the insured loss of the boat. It was patched up and sold as a non-powered live aboard. I found out that Yanmar also offers a stern drive and I'm looking into that today. Seems to be lighter than the Volvo.
  One concern I have is the depth of the oil pan on the engine in either stern unit colliding with the bilge sole. I've reached out to Brian with this question. I look forward to seeing your new boat on the 2'nd next month.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2023, 07:22:56 AM »
Chuck, the Uniflite V-drive was a remote style V-drive and when a joint let go there was massive havoc causing the insured loss of the boat. It was patched up and sold as a non-powered live aboard. I found out that Yanmar also offers a stern drive and I'm looking into that today. Seems to be lighter than the Volvo.
  One concern I have is the depth of the oil pan on the engine in either stern unit colliding with the bilge sole. I've reached out to Brian with this question. I look forward to seeing your new boat on the 2'nd next month.

... Busy here!  I'll look at the specs this weekend - thx for waiting
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

tule peak timber

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2023, 07:39:42 AM »
Will do , Thanks :)

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2023, 07:24:28 AM »
I booked a night on the guest dock in San Diego on March 2nd space #7. I hope to arrive by mid day if all goes to plan (like that ever happens) The guest docks are at the end of Shelter Island
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

tule peak timber

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2023, 10:50:43 AM »
Chuck, I sure hope the weather clears up by Thursday for your launch. We are having weather down here like we haven't seen before with a lot of road closures. Safe travels. Rob

tom e

• Midshipman
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2023, 09:10:41 PM »
Ray Brown put one in his Jumbo (started 2004).  See  <http://www.backporchboat.org/engine001.html> for pictures of their installation.

te
Tolman Jumbo launched Sept '22

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2023, 07:11:15 AM »
Chuck, I sure hope the weather clears up by Thursday for your launch. We are having weather down here like we haven't seen before with a lot of road closures. Safe travels. Rob
I know, I found a weather window down Hwy 101 to the Bay area then over to I-5. I loaded everything in my truck to head to the Oregon Coast to hook up the boat and head down. I just now decided to many stars need to align to pull this off. Also some last minute design work for golf shops just came in. One is in Erbil Hills Kurdistan so I have decided to listen to my gut and postpone my departure. GRRRRRR
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

ghelland

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2023, 09:53:21 PM »
Chuck, I am glad you are not going right now.  I looked at my Windy app and it's blowing 35 down there.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2023, 07:52:14 AM »

Hey Tule Peak Timber ... any progress on your project?  Going with a diesel sterndrive?

Mills27

• Midshipman
  • Dream to build a kodiak one day
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2023, 07:08:40 PM »
I’m planning on building mine with a stern drive diesel, but I’m a few years out for being set up to start my project. Right now I see Hannah and mercury seem to make the best options for a stern drive, I really like that mercury 270hp but the yanmar 4lv250 is a compact and solid option too, plus I have personal experience with tankard diesels in HE and they have always been very good to me so I’m confident with that setup. I hope I’m not the first to put a diesel Alaskan to the water but if I am I’ll make sure to religiously record data for everyone else here, I think it’s a really great option for these boats.
Old breed? New breed? There’s not a darn bit of difference so long as it’s the Marine breed.” – Chesty Puller