Author Topic: My Official build thread. 27 1/2’ GA  (Read 185751 times)

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My Official build thread. 27 1/2’ GA
« Reply #990 on: December 22, 2022, 10:22:23 AM »
... I do recommend allowing at least the cockpit region to drain into the bilge, and 2 bilge pumps (2 is one ... one is none)...

Am I reading this right? Can you elaborate a bit on the cockpit draining into the bilge Brian? I specifically designed my boat to have the cockpit have as few paths for water to go to the bilge as possible...

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #991 on: December 22, 2022, 04:02:29 PM »
... I do recommend allowing at least the cockpit region to drain into the bilge, and 2 bilge pumps (2 is one ... one is none)...

Am I reading this right? Can you elaborate a bit on the cockpit draining into the bilge Brian? I specifically designed my boat to have the cockpit have as few paths for water to go to the bilge as possible...

Yeah, sure ... it was an ambiguous statement, wasn't it?  So yes, do everything you can to keep water out of the bilge and draining out of the scuppers (and I like some arch to the cockpit deck too).  I was referring to, and should've been more clear, is that any areas under the deck ought to have a drain path to the aft center (between stringers) bilge area JUST IN CASE water gets down there ... In other words, there's a drain plug at the bottom of the aft house bulkhead that can remain plugged, but chambers between the stringers should have a way to drain to the bilge where water can be pumped out.  Chambers with under-deck bulkheads that are outside of the stringers generally allow drainage to the stern without any plugs along the way, and one drain through the stringer at the transom ... into the bilge.  But that's a design decision.  Outboard of the stringers, it stays pretty darn dry and the aft plugs are really more about venting chambers when in storage, or draining water if you damaged the boat and hit a rock or something.  The other side of the coin is that some like to have sealed chambers, no foam, outboard of the stringers.  That's fine too.  There's a million ways to do these things ... just think through the various water scenarios and address them ... sleeping in the cuddy and the bow trimming down (where can water end up?) ... and raining typhoon rain all night, or wash down of the cockpit, or a big crew in the stern and taking a wave over the transom (or side) etc etc.  You don't want the boat to fill with water, even if bow-down trim exists for whatever reason, so slope decks, plug holes, and install pumps.  When a large amount of water comes in, say a sneaker wave.... it could be thousands of pounds of water.  What do you do?  Send everyone forward, open your scuppers (they're big right) and get underway ASAP ... etc. 
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: December 23, 2022, 02:51:20 PM »
While out and about on Tuesday I learned a bit about my Suzuki MFD.  I discovered at 28 mph I am getting 2.8 mpg.  At tuna speed I get 3.27 mpg.  I didn’t trim or raise the motor to try to gain anything. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: December 24, 2022, 08:38:33 AM »
While out and about on Tuesday I learned a bit about my Suzuki MFD.  I discovered at 28 mph I am getting 2.8 mpg.  At tuna speed I get 3.27 mpg.  I didn’t trim or raise the motor to try to gain anything.

Seems about right.  I'm curious about 21 to 22 mph, the 'design cruise speed'?  Probably right at 3.0 mpg.  Very good for a big 250...

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: December 24, 2022, 10:55:44 AM »
I’ll try to check next outing.  I used 28 mpg only because I was using 10gph and the math was easy

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #995 on: December 25, 2022, 07:10:00 AM »

Seems about right.  I'm curious about 21 to 22 mph, the 'design cruise speed'?  Probably right at 3.0 mpg.  Very good for a big 250...
Brian that's my sweet spot. My best numbers from early on were 8.2 gph @ 21.1 mph 2.57 mpg. I've settled on props now (14x20) but haven't plated with it yet. Pretty happy with those numbers running twins and the hull size. Those are great numbers Todd! She turned oat awesome! Sure is nice when you finally hit the water and start enjoying all that labor of love!!! MERRY CHRISTMASS!!! (from Mexico)
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: December 25, 2022, 10:13:22 AM »
Thanks Chuck.  You too. Feliz Navidad

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: February 13, 2023, 04:42:23 PM »
This is how I decided to solve the dreaded "Jack Plate Doesn't Work" problem.
 I think it's time we all give up on the prospect of using a 4" offset jack plate.  If someone on this forum really has made it work, I think we should sticky it.  One can only crash the hydraulic steering cylinder into the transom so many times!
 https://bobsmachine.com/product/fixed-setback-brackets-no-lift/

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: February 13, 2023, 04:44:27 PM »
This is how I decided to solve the dreaded "Jack Plate Doesn't Work" problem.
 I think it's time we all give up on the prospect of using a 4" offset jack plate.  If someone on this forum really has made it work, I think we should sticky it.  One can only crash the hydraulic steering cylinder into the transom so many times!
 https://bobsmachine.com/product/fixed-setback-brackets-no-lift/

Noted.  There will be an update in the next release of the manual...

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: February 13, 2023, 04:48:57 PM »
This should have some positive effect on my bow down attitude at res, overnight, while loaded for a fishing trip.  I'm very anxious to get back onto the water.  I just need at least 2 days of ocean, back-to-back, to make it pay.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: February 13, 2023, 04:51:16 PM »
I have also finished the fitting of my home made swim platform.

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: February 17, 2023, 06:23:48 PM »
I love to seeing people do their own fabrication. Outstanding job

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: February 18, 2023, 06:24:22 AM »
Thanks DJ. I try to do as much as I can.  For this project I fit and tacked everything and took it out to get welded as my machine isn’t  designed to run aluminum. 

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: February 21, 2023, 07:58:25 PM »
Got all my goodies together and mounted to fix my jack plate interference issues.  These are massive extrusions, rated to 550 Hp and had to have some length cut off of the top.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 10:14:01 PM by Todd j »

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: March 02, 2023, 09:48:53 PM »
My 1500$ whoopsie is finally in the rear view, minus a minor paint touch up. 
Pic 1- engine trimmed down with jack plate all the way down. 
Pic 2- engine trimmed all the way up to its limit, which has not been reduced using the limit switch, jack plate all the way down
Pic 3- engine resting on its foot, with hydraulics fully retracted and jack plate all the way down.
   The top of the stand off bracket was trimmed down some.  It looked dumb flush with the top of the transom and taller than the front edge of the jack plate.
   Th only contact with the transom now is the hoses, which do not have any strain on them.  The large corrugated rigging tube does get forced up a bit in the last pics.  It will easily move that amount by hand without straining.  I may fuss with the tilt limit switch and only allow enough up tilt to set the engine foot down.  Will post those results later
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 10:13:21 PM by Todd j »