Author Topic: Will it fit out the door?  (Read 3589 times)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Will it fit out the door?
« on: February 15, 2018, 11:10:52 PM »
Sooo...   I have a for reals number on my door opening.  If I pour concrete with the least amount of spoils removed my door opening is at 9'-3" above finish floor.   If use 6'-4" for the deck to top of roof arch for the Newport, 10" for stringers below the deck, and 2'-1" for the the jig as shown I get exactly 9'3". 

All these numbers I took out of the plans.  Sharpshooters will notice I rounded up a 1/2" twice!  If I set the  bottom of the jig 1" off the floor after the flip that sets the roof arch at 8'3" above finish floor.   

Am I missing anything here?   Anyone have a known door opening that a GA was slipped under?   I was hoping to raise the sole and install a visor.  Looks like I cannot do both.  Anyone measure the top of the boat from the garage floor?

I look forward to your replies.  Todd

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Will it fit out the door?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 07:13:27 AM »

NOTE: Your numbers look quite right.  BUT, there is no reason that you can't get the boat out without it being on the jig, and that'll give you lots more room.  Artful work with a couple of jacks and some blocks will let you slip the jig out from under the boat when the time comes, and then you can place the keel on pipes and roll it out, moving the back pipe out and placing it under the bow end as the boat progresses ... get a few friends together for helping keep the boat upright as it rolls, and plan on cranking it up onto a trailer right after you get it out.  You wouldn't be the first one to have to do this.... :)

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 07:50:48 AM »
I have thought about several different ways to get the boat out once completed.  Drag the jig with some reinforcements?   Maybe add skis or uhmw to bottom of jig and use rollers to help turn.  My biggest problem once constructed is I have 30 feet from my door opening to a neighbor fence.  Then a 10 foot space between same same fence and my house, not including overhangs.  I know plenty of room right.  I been telling my wife I need to get chummy with the new neighbor.  He keeps
Crab pots tied to the roof of his jeep and I can see a new to him wood boat sticking out of a freshly  constructed Costco carport.  He can't be all bad. Easy to take out a fence post and 2 panels and go out his yard.  Should be worth a fishing trip!

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 08:25:05 AM »
My wheel house is taller than what is shown on the plans, not sure exactly how much; but tall enough I can walk without hitting my head on either the door or the roof. My OHD is 10' less 1 1/2" for the wrap. I had four inches to spare without the radar tower.
My deck is raised four inches, as are the sides. One of the kit builders in S CA did his in a standard OHD but I think he made the roof to be removed prior to exiting the garage...
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 08:32:42 AM »
I had clearance issues coming out of my shop as well which helped to determine the length. My wife said under no circumstances was I going to cut the corner of the master bathroom off to make the turn to get out onto the driveway. How fickle can a woman be?
I drew up the shop in CAD, first to see if there would be enough space to work and later to be sure I could get it out of the shop...
In the end, it was still closer than she would have liked😂
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 09:57:39 PM »
What do you use for CAD?   Does it work on a mobile device?  Tablet for instant?  I don't have a computer.  I have seen a few pictures of stuff folks have CAD drawn and it definitely has its place in saving time, and just as important, money.  I can draw isometric but it's not quite the same

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 10:05:16 PM »
I guess measuring from the stringers after the flip will tell the tale.  I just want to finish the revamp of the building and get to scarfing.  Framed in a 12' door and 2 more windows today.  Tomorrow and Sunday I should have all the doors framed and sheeted!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 09:17:05 AM »
What do you use for CAD?   Does it work on a mobile device?  Tablet for instant?  I don't have a computer.  I have seen a few pictures of stuff folks have CAD drawn and it definitely has its place in saving time, and just as important, money.  I can draw isometric but it's not quite the same

Tablets and phones are not the most optimal platform for CAD work, but there *IS* a solution if you want to try it.   It is Sketchup Free - it is a web application that works well and you can use it from any device with a browser.  I'm not aware of any CAD solutions that are designed to work on a tablet or phone natively.  Try this:

https://www.sketchup.com/products/sketchup-free

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 12:01:09 PM »
I used sketchup for my size considerations, I.E. making sure there was enough room inside and also clearance from the house (without cutting the master bathroom corner). Worked great for that purpose.
The software I use to design homes just wasn't made for designing boats and such... I used it on my laptop, not sure you can use it on a tablet, and I am absolutely certain using it on a cell phone would not work, the screen is too small and onboard memory is not enough to operate a graphics program.
I would simply draw it (shop, fence, Etc..) out by hand. Draw the boat footprint on a separate piece of cardboard, cut it out and slide it around on your plan footprint. You will be able to see how it will work out prior to building.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 12:06:07 AM »
I like that idea Kent.  Super easy to scale a drawing in the plan view and move a crdboard boat around on it.  Plus it's free and I already know how to do it!