Author Topic: boat and trailer weights  (Read 2580 times)

ClareFW

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
boat and trailer weights
« on: March 18, 2018, 02:05:36 PM »
I would like to find someone that has completed a 28' GA to tell me what the total weight is on the trailer. I have a 6250 lb maximum towing capability without buying a new truck and would like to know before I build if that's enough towing vehicle.

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
Re: boat and trailer weights
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 03:31:53 PM »
I initially pulled the twenty nine foot, four inch GA, the Paula J with my 1/2 ton Toyota Tundra Limited. I think the best mileage was around 8 miles to the gallon or less. Once I got the trailer balanced, meaning pulling level it did OK. It is 75 miles to the launch ramp from my door with a coastal pass in between. There is a long downhill section after you clear the pass and last year it made me pucker on one trip. The key is to keep your speed down around 55. I have  four hydraulic disk brakes on the trailer which helps!
I have since traded off the Tundra for a one-ton Dodge Ram. I get about 20 miles to the gallon pulling on the freeway and no less than 15 mpg on the pass. My Tundra was tired, but for the most part it handled the boat fine. I know I posted on here or Fishy Fish what my weight was loaded with fuel, but can’t remember what it was.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 05:47:05 PM by Cannon »
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 05:45:45 PM »
I found the post with the weight, I was 6,500 pounds with fifty gallons of fuel (capacity is 113 gallons), no ice and no tackle. That is not tongue weight, but gross weight. Tongue weight should be around 15% of gross weight or about 975 pounds. That of coarse is subject to your trailer balance with the boat on it. My trailer is a triple axle, and for the GA, I would state that you need a minimum of a two axle trailer. Mine is overkill, but it was a good deal and has disk brakes.
Bear in mind also, without good brakes and balanced load, that is a lot of load to handle in a tight squeeze!
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Easygoing

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 02:06:12 PM »
I have a 24' Tolman Jumbo on a heavy duty aluminum trailer rated for 8,500 lbs.  The total package is 5,300 lbs.  Don't know if that helps at all, the GA is a heavier boat than a Jumbo though...

ClareFW

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 12:16:08 PM »
Thanks, this helps to see what others have finished and the results they have.