Author Topic: Lengthening the GA past 28 feet  (Read 2169 times)

Rick Reed

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lengthening the GA past 28 feet
« on: August 16, 2018, 05:40:19 PM »
If i wanted to lengthen the GA  oh say to 31 feet and change. Could i just add 18 inches between stations 156-180 and 18 inches between 180-204 on sheet 007C(chine lofting)

18 inches between 159 3/8- 186 7/8 and 18 inches between 186 7/8-214 1/4 on sheet 006C(bottom panel lofting)

I would also add the same length to the stringers and shelves in the appropriate locations as well.
Or is there a better way to lengthen the boat and retain most of the original design characteristics?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 05:42:15 PM by Rick Reed »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Lengthening the GA past 28 feet
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 08:03:14 AM »
I'm at work and can't dig into the plans right now, but yes, the way to lengthen the boat is the same as shown for lengthening from 26' to 28' ... you space out all stations from amidships aft, e.g. from the widest point in the hull to the stern.  At the lengths that you're talking about, the boat is getting fairly long for how wide it is, and aspect ratio impacts maneuverability (it goes down as the boat gets too long for it's width) and it impacts roll stability (rolls easier as the boat gets too long for it's length).  Finally, as the boat gets longer (and I won't dig into the details right here), it's going to float higher on the water.  Too high and the boat risks some roll-direction stability issues .... "chine walking" where it'll plane a little heeled to one side, then flop over and plane a little heeled to the other side.  So.... What's the limit for length without also making the boat wider and heavier to compensate?  I dunno ... I only modeled the boat to 28' long.  I've had several design ideas presented to me, but frankly, a boat this size is a big job to redesign so I can't ... no time in my current schedule.  The longest version that is working well is Kent Cannon's 29' 4" one, but he also tends to load pretty heavy and that helps compensate for extra length.  I usually tell people that if they want to stretch the boat longer than I specify, that it's up to them and that it's their experiment, not mine (sorry if that's too frank - I tend to be straight forward and open).  If you DO experiment with long lengths and have good results - then it benefits everyone else who might want to.  Also, the GA is designed on the conservative side, with a deeper waterline than is required (by 1-1/2 to 2 inches) since that helps guarantee stability, so there is a certain amount of forgiveness built into the design.  I did that specifically because amateur builders like to enjoy some flexibility with the design as they create the boat of their dreams.  So ... you're now armed with more knowledge ... go forth and conquer!

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rick Reed

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 09:11:37 AM »
I appreciate the reply. This information will help me move forward with my design plans.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 04:17:06 PM »
I appreciate the reply. This information will help me move forward with my design plans.

Hopefully!!  :D

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>