Author Topic: Side door thoughts?  (Read 2522 times)

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
Side door thoughts?
« on: September 01, 2018, 08:48:21 AM »
Has anyone put a side door in? I realize it is a structural issue, but if others boat builders have figured it out surely Brian could get it in. Thoughts? This is a wife request.......don't tell me to just leave her at home, I like her.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Side door thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 09:07:51 AM »
Well ... since those other boats probably designed it in from the start, the structure below the door took this option into consideration.  One of the reasons that the Great Alaskan is lightweight, yet strong, is because the sheer structure is actually structural.  It's a flat horizontal beam that opposes oil canning / hogging flex in the sheer.  It's mechanically efficient compared to having multiple frames, since it's greatest strength is exactly in the direction that strength is required.

Stepping onto the sheer deck from a dock is a short step ... but stepping down into the boat is about a 27" step (unless you raise the aft deck like many do).  Have you thought of other solutions such as adding railing and perhaps a flop-down stair step that hides under the sheer deck when folded up?  Maybe having the fold-down step near the aft end of the pilot house would let you use the side of the pilot house as a grab rail and no railing would be necessary.  Some people have put their battery boxes just outside the aft house bulkhead (f'w'd corner of the cockpit) and use it as a step for getting into the boat (add non-skid).  I expect that something along these lines may alleviate a lot of the concern ... but only your better half can answer that.  Maybe you can bring it up with her and get back to us.  Otherwise, I do like the idea of a side door, but haven't really designed the boat (structurally) for that. 

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 01:57:36 PM »
I was afraid of that Brian. It was just a thought, not a deal breaker.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 03:33:10 PM »
I was afraid of that Brian. It was just a thought, not a deal breaker.

Sorry :(  BUT ... there are other solutions that are nearly as good!  :D

One other solution that I'd forgotten about (until just now) is the aft door concept.  You can put a swinging door through the transom if it is only above the motor boards.  For easy access off a dock, you'd marry that concept with a swim platform on at least one side, and you'd have to use a narrow splashwell on that side so you could step in past the splashwell into the boat. Getting in would mean stepping from the dock onto the splashwell, then in through the door... divers use doors like this since it's easier to dive off of and to climb back onto the swim platform.

Brian

Brian
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 03:36:26 PM by Brian.Dixon »
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 05:13:32 PM »
Anybody do that yet? Would that take space out of the 28 ft or Just an add on

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 09:00:08 AM »
Anybody do that yet? Would that take space out of the 28 ft or Just an add on

Bob & Bruce Lanham did this exact thing on their Tolman Jumbo ... check out the tolman forums thread here:

https://fishyfish.com/boards/general-discussion-tolman-skiffs/transom-access-door-and-adding-outriggers/msg43331/#msg43331

Ray Brown put in a sterndrive, swim platform, and transom door on his too ... probably worth searching for in the Fishy Fish forums above.

There's no reason these ideas wouldn't work just fine on the Great Alaskan.

Brian

« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 09:03:03 AM by Brian.Dixon »