Author Topic: Materials for build  (Read 6457 times)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Materials for build
« on: November 12, 2018, 04:15:29 PM »
Well I started calling around today to get some prices.  Hydro tech plywood is quite a bit more expensive than last I checked.  About 800$ for the hull.  I got nowhere with the fiberglass supplier as everything I asked for they didn’t have.  I tried to go product by product til I couldn’t stand it.  Emailed a list off.  Hope someone gets back.   Anyone care to privately share a picking ticket to speed up these vendors. 

Frustrating

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Materials for build
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 05:52:49 AM »

Compared to the overall cost of the boat project, the plywood is not expensive.... just to put things in perspective.  Are you calling Edensaw in Port Angeles?  For fiberglass, I like Fiberglass Supply at http://www.fiberglasssupply.com (yes, that's three s's).  Did you give them a shout?  Hope this helps....

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 08:07:09 AM »
 Crosscut hardwoods in Eugene has in stock hydrotech and aquatech plywood.   I did talk to Fiberglass supply and they didn’t have the right size and weight for what I needed.  Seemed like they just were t interested in my business.  Between them and Jamestown supply I think I found everything.  Will do some more confirming and ask specific questions before I go to get the stuff. Turned out to take several hours.  PITA!?

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 09:32:25 AM »
Crosscut hardwoods in Eugene has in stock hydrotech and aquatech plywood.   I did talk to Fiberglass supply and they didn’t have the right size and weight for what I needed.  Seemed like they just were t interested in my business.  Between them and Jamestown supply I think I found everything.  Will do some more confirming and ask specific questions before I go to get the stuff. Turned out to take several hours.  PITA!?

Odd ... I've been doing business with Fiberglass Supply for decades and never had a bad experience.  Perhaps someone there was just having a bad day.  What kind of glass are you looking for?  Checked eBay yet?  RAKA Marine?  Sometimes it's hard to find just the right width in the type of glass that you want, and you end up having to utilize the width that you can find.  Been there, done that....

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 11:39:55 AM »
Just looking for the width and weight you called for.  Nothing I thought was weird.   FS didn’t have 9 oz tape.  Didn’t have the cloth.  Mostly didn’t have the time to sell me.  Anyway Not giving up.  I am a bit lazy, I would like a quote for the BOM and leave all the thinking on my end out of it. 
  So, funny thing happened last couple of weeks.  My wife has been paying a lot of attention to used boats on CL now that the building is finished.  To keep the peace I sharpened my pencil and something to run by Brian.   I used your  BOM for the hulll for a 28.5’ boat and multiplied the cost for plywood, stringers, and jig by 2.  Thought this was safe.  Used the cost of materials for glassing the hull with 30 gallons of epoxy and used a 1.5 multiplier.  Found a list/cost summary for the Pau Hauna hope I spelled it right.  Looks like my dollar amount is pretty close even though the wood/glass split doesn’t quite line up. 
   What are your thoughts on estimating this way?   I know it’s just a estimate, I’m trying to get a number I can undershoot.  Not a target

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 03:19:23 PM »
Estimating that way is probably about as close as anyone can do.  Lots of variables along the way.  Used boats have their own problems you know, like shoddy construction where you can't see it, mechanical or other failures about to happen, or well-done but requires a 2nd and 3rd mortgage to buy.  And are they ever laid out the way you want?  These are a few of the reasons that convince most to build their own.

Note that on the fiberglass that the numbers are generally rounded off ... like someone selling some 8.4 oz fiberglass tape lists it as 9 oz, or 9.7 ounce tape gets listed as 9 oz by some and as 10 oz for others.  Close enough.  The boat is over-strong.  Try to land close but don't sweat it if you can't hit the numbers exactly.  You'll never know the difference and neither will anyone else!  Try FS again ... or RAKA marine.  They've been around for decades and are reliable.

BTW, another idea is to hit http://www.woodfinder.net ... It still works.  Another is http://www.noahsmarine.com/items.asp?Cc=33 ....

Brian

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 07:50:43 PM »
Sounds good.  I will be doing some searching here and elsewhere re: epoxy.  That’s one I can’t afford to screw up.  I have read every build in the forums for the entertainment value.   Need to hit it again and take  notes!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 08:36:50 AM »
Sounds good.  I will be doing some searching here and elsewhere re: epoxy.  That’s one I can’t afford to screw up.  I have read every build in the forums for the entertainment value.   Need to hit it again and take  notes!

Top choices that I've seen lately:

- eBond Marine Epoxy (NOT their polyester resin stuff)
- Aeromarine
- RAKA
- Progressive Polymers No Blush (#2 or -II?)
- System III General Purpose (or the Silvertip no-blush version if you want to pay for it)

This is not a comprehensive list.  Use whatever non-shrinking, no-volatiles, marine epoxy that's designed for wetting out fiberglass that you want.  It's OK to buy the cheapest if it meets these requirements.  The non-blushing types save some work for you and prices are not significantly different.

Brian

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 07:14:45 PM »
Thanks.   Something bound to happen soon I hope.  I’m trying to pound out honey-doos so I can start cutting something boat related.  I’ve run out of excuses!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 06:41:36 AM »
Thanks.   Something bound to happen soon I hope.  I’m trying to pound out honey-doos so I can start cutting something boat related.  I’ve run out of excuses!

Yes ... but don't stress and push too hard either.  It takes the fun out of the process... building a boat is fun and ought to stay that way :)

bd

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 10:51:02 AM »
I went to plywood store today to buy the sheathing for the hull.  They didn’t have enough to fill the order.  Short on 3/8”.  The whole order will be in on Friday from Portland.  I did get a bit of a price break so used that money to buy some tools.  I plan to grab the lvl stuff Wednesday so I have something to do before the plywood shows up

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 05:54:14 PM »
I went to plywood store today to buy the sheathing for the hull.  They didn’t have enough to fill the order.  Short on 3/8”.  The whole order will be in on Friday from Portland.  I did get a bit of a price break so used that money to buy some tools.  I plan to grab the lvl stuff Wednesday so I have something to do before the plywood shows up

It's great to hear that you're making progress ... sawdust is a-flyin'!  Post pix!

Brian

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 05:19:19 PM »
Todd,

Fiberglass supply, part #"s

SKU: C31-3117
Style 7500 X 50 in. 9.7oz Plain Weave E-Glass;  C31-1287
Style 7533 X 50 in. 5.6oz  SKU: C34-2863
8in. Wide, 8.71 oz., Fiberglass Tape; and

SKU: C34-2787
4in. Wide, 8.71 oz., Fiberglass Tape

There website took awhile to get used too.

I also ordered from Noahs but shipping from New York...

tom e

• Midshipman
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 07:46:16 PM »
I've ordered a lot from Fiberglass Supply and I have to second Rbob's observation that their web site is a real challenge to figure out.   Only saving grace is their tech support / sales support is very easy to work with and very happy to explain things.   As far as I'm concerned, they're good people.

te

Tolman Jumbo launched Sept '22

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 10:44:00 PM »
Ya, I hear ya.  Their website was a pita. Finally I got a pretty complete quote.  I still need to order glass and epoxy.  I’m going to let momma recover from the spending spree I’ve been on.