Author Topic: problems with tape  (Read 3939 times)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
problems with tape
« on: May 07, 2021, 11:40:34 AM »
I recently ordered more 6" tape.  I store it the same as everything else, same prep, same, epoxy.  It just WONT wet out.  The supplier says they tested their supply and the techs said it was good.  the pics are hard to tell but some of the weave is totally dry?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 11:43:52 AM by Todd j »

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: problems with tape
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 02:03:35 PM »
I can see it, try wetting out some other glass you have just to eliminate the epoxy.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 02:31:37 PM »
I can see it, try wetting out some other glass you have just to eliminate the epoxy.

Good idea.  Also, where/how was the glass stored?  Dampness, especially combined with dust, can make glass resist wetting out properly.  Most glass, nowadays, is sized with Silane and Silane works with both epoxy and polyester resins... unlike the bad ol' days when you really had to double-check that you were buying E-glass...

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 05:37:02 PM »
I’ve not changed my storage habits.   Used some 6” biax that was on the same rack for 2 years.  It worked fine.  They are sending me another yard for a test panel. We’ll see!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 07:48:23 AM »

... My gut feel is that you got a batch of glass that had something wrong with the wetting agent that they applied to it ('sizing', Silane typ.) ...

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 12:41:29 PM »
They sent me a yard of their tested product that i bought.   It too failed.  Im convinced they have bad product.  I just need to convince them.  Im stalled as I cant even replace what I have on hand since the stuff they have is bad too.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2021, 01:02:34 PM »

I wonder if there's anything like a S/N that you could communicate to the actual manufacturer ... and ask them questions about what wetting agent they used and whether it's compatible with all epoxy products?

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2021, 08:10:38 PM »
I will ask.  I’ve never had issues before.  They say it works for the techs when they tested it.  Frustrating

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 05:57:01 AM »
I will ask.  I’ve never had issues before.  They say it works for the techs when they tested it.  Frustrating

Maybe they know there's an issue but don't want to admit it?  For sure, I'd look elsewhere for glass ... you're not using a new jug of hardener or resin, right?  The epoxy is ruled out?

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 10:52:28 AM »
Yup, epoxy is good to go!

barrelroll

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 05:20:05 PM »
Hmmm, I had some 6" 9oz that fought me pretty hard wetting out/ getting to not lift and I wasn't happy with the results. I wonder if it's the same stuff. I think I bought it around the end of the year, comes in an unlabeled bag from Florida. I wonder if we have the same stuff.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2021, 11:37:28 PM »
It’s garbage for sure.  They did offer me a refund, but I took it as a credit to my account for my next order.   They say no other complaints.  I know it’s not me

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2021, 06:17:11 AM »
It’s garbage for sure.  They did offer me a refund, but I took it as a credit to my account for my next order.   They say no other complaints.  I know it’s not me

When I detect that a business is being less than honest with me, that's the end ... I take my few little dollars elsewhere

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2021, 01:42:02 PM »
FWIW, I was just talking to the wrong the guy.  Got someone else and the dealt with my issue.  Im not ready to give up on fiberglass supply yet. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2021, 02:54:33 PM »
FWIW, I was just talking to the wrong the guy.  Got someone else and the dealt with my issue.  Im not ready to give up on fiberglass supply yet.

Wow ... that's my favorite supplier!  Glad to hear you got the right guy, but I'd let'm have it on the other customer service ... that's one of the reasons we shop there ... good, not poor, customer service!