Author Topic: glassing the sheer to the fairbody  (Read 2513 times)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
glassing the sheer to the fairbody
« on: June 08, 2021, 05:56:43 PM »
What is everyone doing?  for some reason Im remembering Brian Maybe? suggesting he didnt like running a router along the edge for rounding over the hard edge.
  Keeping in mind I dont know if I will use UHMW or a commercial edge finisher,

Thanks in advance

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: glassing the sheer to the fairbody
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 06:14:47 PM »
I just did router + 9oz tape... I am not sure what I am going to do yet wrt a rub rail, I think I am leaning towards trying to make a commercial version work, but might also give some varnished hardwood a shot.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 06:40:53 PM »
Im trying to keep the varnish wood in the house only.  I think it was Json that bought a commercial rub rail.  I did look at some online that look like they would work.  I just not too excited about putting holes in the hull to allow water ingress.  I have been overdrilling all my screw holes in the cockpit and redrilling them to fit the faster.  Its like doing everything three times!

RCPDesigns

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 06:56:49 PM »
Three times the right way is better than once the wrong way.

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 07:38:58 PM »
Rounded over with 3/8 router and glassed. Rubber rub rail to finish

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 09:39:07 PM »
Rounded over with 3/8 router and glassed. Rubber rub rail to finish
Thank you, this was the installation I tried to give Json credit for.   I like it

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 09:42:53 PM »
Three times the right way is better than once the wrong way.

Your right!   It’s already paying off.  I got a screw for a locker door off just enough the door rubs.   All I need to do is drill through the screw hole and re-epoxy it.  I guess I can do it right 9 times if that’s what it takes!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 06:50:23 AM »

Routers are fine!  Along the sheer-to-side corner, it may not round enough due to the varying side flare but you can touch that up with a sander.  The manual tells how to do it with just a sander, but an initial pass with a router is fine to.  If a technique works and saves you work and time, then go at it!

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 11:59:14 AM »
...and actually this just put a bee in my bonnet. I went down and picked up 24' of s4s 1x4 ipe for my rub rails. Gonna see how it goes. This stuff is not cheap but boy does it feel indestructible. If it works out I might just do all the hardwood accents with ipe and oil and forego the varnish.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2021, 07:40:54 PM »
Have you got anywhere with the ipe?   Is it. Randy enough for rub rails?

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2021, 09:51:21 PM »
I got cracking on making them, didnt have enough length so had to go pick up another piece, currently motivating to pick up a router and cut the scarfs. I haven’t had trouble gluing it, I did some scarfs on the first sections and just pre cleaned the spot with some acetone before I glued it. Worked well I think. I am going to be gluing them on without anything over them, the ipe seems tougher than most materials that are on the boat for sure. I think it’s going to look great and be a great rub rail material when all is said and done. I also want to figure out how to hold them in place without drilling through them so there aren’t filled holes sticking out. I would have really liked to have through bolted them on but I couldn’t make it work with the shelves.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2021, 10:48:22 PM »
What about epoxied studs?   

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2021, 10:49:43 PM »
Jason,

I pre-drilled and screwed in place, then removed the screws and filled.  I had not though about adding pecan wood powder or adding a stain to match up so I will have some nice looking dots down the side.

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2021, 04:02:37 AM »
Epoxied studs is a really interesting idea, I am gonna chew on that a bit. I used some of the dust from the ipe as well as some walnut flour to glue the scarfs, they came out close but they are still pretty obvious. I am hoping I can match it a little better this time around. My kids their thinking is to just plane some really thin and route and glue it in over glue spots to minimize the glue on the surface.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2021, 10:38:42 AM »
I did not use studs, just screwed them in and removed the screws after cure.