Author Topic: Hull Numbers  (Read 3291 times)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Re: Hull Numbers
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2021, 09:32:40 PM »
I’m not doing anything unless it’s a requirement
Yes HIN numbers are most definitely a requirement. One goes on the starboard high corner on the back of the transom. The other is to be put somewhere only known to the builder incase of theft and the remove the transom HIN number you still have a hidden HIN. This alone could save your boat.
Without giving away the builder’s secret location,  can you share with us how you handled the placard?

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2021, 07:42:07 PM »
I’m not doing anything unless it’s a requirement
Yes HIN numbers are most definitely a requirement. One goes on the starboard high corner on the back of the transom. The other is to be put somewhere only known to the builder incase of theft and the remove the transom HIN number you still have a hidden HIN. This alone could save your boat.
Without giving away the builder’s secret location,  can you share with us how you handled the placard?
I'll get some photos. So this is what I give out to my kit customers. 1"x3" SS plate with anti tampering reverse screws as fasteners which is also a requirement. Have them laser etched with your HIN number works great. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 11:32:12 AM by Grady300 »
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2021, 06:52:27 PM »
Thanks, I guess you can make up your own HIN?   I should do that sooner than later so I can waterproof the screw holes.  Good to know. Thx

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2021, 07:17:02 PM »
Thanks, I guess you can make up your own HIN?
That's a good question, Not really sure. I have a very specific numbering system I have to use since I'm registered with the Coast Gaurd. I'm not sure when you title the boat if they will issue a HIN or not.
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2021, 07:23:37 AM »

No ... you CANNOT make up your own HIN.  When you register the boat (and establish a title), you will be issued a special 'homebuilt boat' type HIN.  The HIN includes a federally-registered 3-letter prefix that identifies the boat's manufacturer, and there's a special prefix for homebuilt boat.  Glacier Boats is assigned "GBK" as the prefix, for example.  Different states have different prefixes for 'homebuilt'.

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2021, 07:27:04 AM »
Thanks, I guess you can make up your own HIN?
That's a good question, Not really sure. I have a very specific numbering system I have to use since I'm registered with the Coast Gaurd. I'm not sure when you title the boat if they will issue a HIN or not.

I believe that for homebuilt boats, since they will have the required 3-letter prefix that indicates 'homebuilt', that the state will issue the rest of the number ... so nobody accidentally picks the same numbers.  As a boat manufacturer, you do create your own numbers and it's you and your 3-letter prefix that prevents duplication.
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2021, 06:18:31 PM »

No ... you CANNOT make up your own HIN.  When you register the boat (and establish a title), you will be issued a special 'homebuilt boat' type HIN.  The HIN includes a federally-registered 3-letter prefix that identifies the boat's manufacturer, and there's a special prefix for homebuilt boat.  Glacier Boats is assigned "GBK" as the prefix, for example.  Different states have different prefixes for 'homebuilt'.
Exactly mine is "WEW" for West Coast Boat Works
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021