Author Topic: Gathering supplies and diving in  (Read 4560 times)

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Gathering supplies and diving in
« on: September 29, 2021, 07:55:54 PM »
Today I sent a deposit to West Coast Boat Works for a 31 foot Kodiak hull kit. Plan on getting system 3 epoxy through a local dealer here in Juneau Alaska (Valley Paint). Need to get fiberglass tape and cloth on the barge, and was wondering how I need to alter my order from the list of supplies outlined on page 22 of construction manual 1 of 2 to accommodate the larger Kodiak model. Also, would be interested in others experience with different fiberglas suppliers in the Pacific Northwest. Thanks all, can't wait to get through the honey-do list and begin building this beast.

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gathering supplies and diving in
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 08:38:31 PM »
I have used fiberglass supply once or twice, they seem like they are on it customer service-wise, my orders arrived pretty fast. I largely source my supplies locally though so I am the worst one to comment here. A kit from Chuck is a great way to start, I wish I had my panels cut by a cnc... Good luck with your build, just get started!

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 11:16:46 PM »
I used 3-4 more buckets of wood flour.  Two pillows worth of 3M glass bubbles and need more.  Way more tape and cloth than called for.  Do yourself a favor and get 50” cloth.  Preglass entire sheets of plywood as long as it’s not on a outside corner. 
   Your In For a good time

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 07:41:03 PM »
thanks for advice, was able to order some fiberglass, but some stuff (4 inch 9 oz glass tape) hard to find due to "global supply chain issues" Bought the last 7 rolls I could find.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 07:41:36 AM »

I like Fiberglass Supply (https://www.fiberglasssupply.com) as well ... I've been working with them for decades.

Bill of materials?  Each builder varies a lot, so I would consider such things as 'reasonable estimates'.  For a Kodiak 'reasonable estimate', bet on about 20% more in glass/epoxy, and of course, the wood is longer.

Congratulations on joining the Band of 'Great Alaskan' Brothers! :D
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

barrelroll

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 11:15:58 PM »
Hey, I'm in Juneau as well, pretty sure you work with my wife, I'm building a 23' widebody.

Fiberglass supply has been great though their 6" 9oz tape is junk, everything else has been top notch. They ship USPS and as long as you order early enough in the day you'll have it in 3 days, order Thursday morning have it Saturday morning as long as the dog doesn't scare away the post man. I've bought a lot from Raka as well, my only complaint is they don't label their bags of filler and their packaging is a little cheaper.

All my epoxy has come from Raka, Charlie at Valley never called me back with a price. Raka ships epoxy USPS and pricing is decent  Their cold cure works great in a 50 degree shop and is workable the next morning. Their no blush has a nicer finish and slower cure time and though unless the heat is cranked it's closer to 24 hours till you can really work it. Next build I'm going to get some slow hardener for the big glue up days, the cold cure just wasn't enough time. Nicole has used a bunch of the no blush on a kitchen table project.

Noah's took over a month from order date to arrival so I've stopped using them.

If you ever get in a bind and need something to finish something while waiting on the next round of supplies we have a pretty good stock pile in the shop.

I've been through the gauntlet of suppliers for boat junk and Alaska shipping if you have any more questions. I'm headed home tomorrow night for 2 weeks if you want to check out the tolman and BS about boats.

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 09:08:36 AM »
thanks for advice, even local. Would love to see your boat in real life, Nicole has shown me pictures.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 09:31:15 AM »
Yes as stated above.  The 6” by 9 oz table from fiberglass supply is garbage!   Everything else including the service has been great

barrelroll

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 06:29:14 PM »
thanks for advice, even local. Would love to see your boat in real life, Nicole has shown me pictures.

Sent you a PM

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2021, 09:23:37 AM »
Hey Lindy, Your Kodiak kit is in this pile of marine ply along with 2 other Kodiak kits. Starting to cut them out tomorrow. Hopefully ready to ship by the end of next week!! This stack of marine ply is roughly $10K
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 09:25:30 AM by Grady300 »
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2021, 06:19:47 PM »
Awesome ,
Can't wait to tear into the project!!!

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2021, 04:25:41 PM »
Awesome ,
Can't wait to tear into the project!!!
Well here ya go Lindy one Kodiak kit heading to Alaska.
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2021, 05:07:11 PM »
Looks great, guess "some assembly required"

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2021, 05:08:35 PM »
Looks great, guess "some assembly required"
Nope Just add water and a motor and seal some of the joints in the crate....lol
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2021, 10:25:25 PM »
Global supply chain issues and worker shortages killing me.Chuck sent my kit to me last week,  got to Seattle on Sunday, needed to be delivered to the barge by today, but trucking company down 14 drivers so can't deliver to barge lines until next week. Hurry up and wait is my new mantra.