Author Topic: Where are you building a Great Alaskan?  (Read 33012 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Where are you building a Great Alaskan?
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2016, 04:30:42 PM »
Congrats on your progress!  Life always gets in the way.... steady as she goes, and it'll get done :)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2016, 10:54:10 PM »
Hi all, Brian,

Done nothing the last 18 mths, working with my son's building houses, I'm the Q.S., bookkeeper, coffee maker etc at nights so that buggers up working on the missus. (I give her bum a rub ever now and then though....)

Landlord wants her out of the back yard, so a move is now being organized, a crane to get her over the house onto a truck to a site I'm building a tin shed on - we'll also be using as a workshop for knocking up kitchens & house joinery, looking forward to it as we can then get some good machinery a place to live - with no one to upset at nites.

Going the set a small room up in the corner for a dust free sleeping spot, for those week ends I'll be there, site is only 20 min from home, but working through late nights probably a good idea not to drive.....

Engine is a Cummins 6TBA (worked to 300 - 350 HP) - from a truck wrecker, I will rebuild as required, and marinise it, (think dipping it in vinegar over night works for oysters.... engine too?)
A V-drive is being chased up with the right gearing, chit that's been a new learning curve.....

Going to put a skeg/keel on her to both protect the prop & rudder and help when running down wind & wave for those slow broaches.... freaky situation if you have ever been it that place. We have the Indian Ocean right out of the marina, no safe coves, islands, harbors to race to if we miss the weather and need to run for cover.

The 1000 Lt diesel tanks have been built in ready for the plumbing and lid to epoxy on, issue to resolve is the amount of 1/4 inch alloy inspection ports on this epoxied ply lid, ideally one between every baffle, that's 6 per tank and that diesel seems to be able to creep out every join.....  work in progress on this, any ideas most welcome!

Bought all the ply and epoxy needed to complete her, got the laminated glass windows, Teak or Oroko (poor mans Teak) for decking is the next buy.
Not waving....... Drowning!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2016, 06:50:02 AM »
You'll have to post some pics of that crane work, Ed.  We want to keep hearing (and seeing) about your project :).  As for that motor ...I know that people do clean tools and cast iron with vinegar and water.  Might take weeks though.  There's a tool shed in Alaska where the guy collects antique tools and he's got a barrel of 50/50 vinegar and water and just tosses the tools in there, pulls them out when done.  They all look like new once dried and oiled.

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2016, 01:00:05 PM »
BUMP - Updates anyone?

Frederic Gendron

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2017, 01:50:49 PM »
Saint-Michel de Bellechasse, Quebec Canada. ;)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2017, 10:41:17 AM »
Looks like a sweet location to have a Great Alaskan!  What are your plans?  Boat camping/cruising, fishing?

Brian

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2018, 09:32:18 AM »
Wasilla, Alaska - having Anthony at Kachemak Skiffs build it and I'll outfit it. Hull should be "boat-like" at the end of the week. 28 Newport with very few mods for skiing Prince William Sound in spring, shrimping, fishing, and the Alaska coast from Homer to Cordova and possibly beyond.

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2018, 10:37:34 PM »
Dan you must be very excited, I am sure you won't be disappointed. I am in love with my build!
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2019, 11:13:13 PM »
Veneta Oregon

Alpine74

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2019, 09:47:57 PM »
I'm building in Prince George, British Columbia, Canada.

TinkerGnome

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2020, 06:17:40 PM »
Hello, I’m getting ready to start on my 28ft in Lubbock, Texas

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2020, 06:27:18 PM »
Tinker, congrats. The forum as am sure you know is the best place to learn good tips. Enjoy your build

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2020, 06:42:30 AM »
Hello, I’m getting ready to start on my 28ft in Lubbock, Texas

Sweet! Can't wait to see your progress pix!

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2020, 03:08:21 PM »
Hi Brain, I know you are well aware of my build but thought I would still post up on this thread. Building the larger 30 foot Kodiak. Mods will be extending the sides to form a bulwark which will also add to my beam width by a few inches. Also going with a Euro Transom rather than the typical transom. Raised the stringes by 2 3/8"  and will slope the deck from the aft wheelhouse bulkhead to the transom 1" just trying to get a better water flow when washing blood from the deck. I also plan to enlarge my scuppers, going with 1 1/2" x 5 1/2" just in case we take a good wave over the bow. I can't believe that would ever happen with the awesome flair this boat has at the bow but ya never know. Build is in Bend Oregon, planing to splash in in March of 2021.   
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2020, 10:13:48 AM »
I’m still in the info gathering stages but will be building my Great Alaskan 28’ in my shop space here in SILVERTON Oregon. I plan to mount a camera over the shop so I can get good progress photos as most of my family is vocally supportive and quietly questioning my sanity. I’m debating on the transom type and will have design questions. I really like the swim step outboard mount, leaning toward the Newport design and balancing fishing deck with cabin size. I still have some shop setup to do but plan to build the platform the week after deer season in October. Shop will be tight - my back bay is 48’ by 12’ so I’ll mount the building jig on wheels. Can’t wait to cut the first piece of wood.
Randy Henry, SILVERTON Oregon
Randy_Henry@msn.com