Author Topic: Is this the right boat for me  (Read 624 times)

RC_coladude

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
Is this the right boat for me
« on: September 05, 2023, 06:13:11 PM »
Hi Everyone, Looking for some advice on the right boat for me.

Short backstory, From Michigan, lived in New Orleans, La for 12 years and now living in Milwaukee, Wi.
I was am a Carpenter / Project Manager.

So I want a boat that can.
-Cross lake Michigan, may get ambitious one day and travel to Montreal.
-Float down Mississippi river to New Orleans, via Chicago.
-Has power/economy for going back....New Orleans to Milwaukee.
-Is a great fishing boat
-Live aboard for maybe a month or two (minimalism is fine by me)
-Can be built in my 29'x19-4" garage (interior dimensions)

What do you think? is the 27' GA right for me

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is this the right boat for me
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2023, 02:31:39 AM »
OK, I'll bite!

With the GA, you're getting into a light planing boat that goes up and over waves rather than bashing through them, gets unusually good fuel mileage for this type of boat at this size, is stable at rest due to the chine flats and relatively shallow deadrise, and can be made to do minimalist camping very well. This boat can do hull speed around 5-6 knots and totally sip fuel, or go 28 knots getting somewhere around 2.6 nmpg or more depending on how much stuff you put on it and how you power it. It makes an exceptional fishing boat - I use mine for prawning, fishing, and crabbing, as well as camping and as a platform for backcountry ski adventures in Alaska. Others have outfitted them for serious offshore fishing on both coasts. It's also super flexible since you're building it yourself, you can tweak how the cabin looks to your liking, and Brian, the designer, is active here and is very willing to help people tweak their designs and still stay within the design parameters of the boat. I think it would be a good match. It's a big project, with a LOT of learning along the way. It will be a tight fit in your shop. Realize that the anchor roller usually sticks out several inches and you certainly won't get an outboard on it while in the shop, but you can still work it out....happy planning and scheming!

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2023, 11:18:27 AM »
I could not agree more with what Dan said. I would only add its pretty easy to make a temporary shelter extension off the front of your garage/shop in a lot of situations. Hopefully you can get creative if you need a few more feet. I took my GA-Kodiak from San Diego to Puerto Vallarta down the Pacific side of Baha, 8 day cruise. First night was very un-forecasted seas, I believe any other boat in my class the outcome that dark night would have been disasters. Bear in mind I have been fishing off the Oregon Coast in the PNW the last 15 years, so I'm a bit familiar with sloppy/nasty seas. Some might think I praise the GA because I sell kits. That's sooo wrong, I sell kits because I believe in the Great Alaskan and everything it brings to the table. Even if I could afford 450k for something of its comparable size in a factory built boat, I would still preferer my GA. I had a 30' Marlin Grady White, anytime I was getting close to 1 MPG I was doing the happy dance!!!!!
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 04:19:56 PM »
I built a super awesome GA that has a LOA of 28?-4? including the bowsprit.  My shop is 20 x30 outside dimensions.  So pretty close I think.  Plentybig enough building. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2023, 07:12:33 AM »

You're right, Todd ... you built an AWESOME Great Alaskan!  A fantastic boat!  The 28-ft is my personal favorite too ... it really hits the sweet stop in terms of size and performance.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2023, 02:58:56 PM »
Thanks Brian.  I really do love the boat.  FWIW a boat equipped like mine, in my opinion needs nothing less than a 250 hp outboard.  I know that may be a bit over the recommended horsepower, but there have been times when I felt like I needed every bit of it!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2023, 03:03:39 PM »
Thanks Brian.  I really do love the boat.  FWIW a boat equipped like mine, in my opinion needs nothing less than a 250 hp outboard.  I know that may be a bit over the recommended horsepower, but there have been times when I felt like I needed every bit of it!

Admittedly, the stated horsepower range in the plans is more focused on day-tripping and boats closer to the original 26 feet long.  Longer boats will carry more weight and some will be a bit forward of recommended.  A bigger and heavier motor, especially on a bracket to move it further aft, helps balance things out and the extra horsepower becomes more optimal for the greater load.  250 hp is pretty ideal for many if not most.

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>