Author Topic: 30 foot Kodiak in Juneau  (Read 35360 times)

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 30 foot Kodiak in Juneau
« Reply #315 on: April 01, 2023, 10:57:26 PM »
Got the boat out of the shop today! Took off my shop doors, cut a 3 inch notch out of each 6/6 posts holding up my door frame.drug it out, one inch to spare on each side and an inch on the top. Used a crane to lift it onto the trailer. Quite a tense day, but all worked out well. Boat weighs 5,400 lbs without the engines. Not the lightest build, but I got a lot of stuff in it.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #316 on: April 02, 2023, 06:55:35 AM »
Wow!  Congratulations!  Great to see your big BEAUTIFUL BOAT out of the shop and on the trailer!  You'll be proudly cruising the big water soon!

5400# does seem on the heavy side ... still leaves you around 2500# capacity though and that should do ya.  Keep in mind that the CG is about 1/3rd of the way forward of the transom, which means 2/3rds of the boat is forward of the CG ... easy to move the CG forward on these 'camping' boats that have a lot of stuff in them.  Continue to try to keep weight as far aft as you can, burn forward fuel first, twins (heavier in combination) are heavier than a big single, and motor brackets move weight aft.  What are you doing for power again?
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 02, 2023, 07:22:39 AM »
Stupendous. You win the prize for building the biggest boat in the shop space available award. 😂😂. Loving the boat

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #318 on: April 02, 2023, 09:05:09 AM »
Twin 175 Yamahas, 1100 pounds of motors. Going on April 11 th

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #319 on: April 02, 2023, 10:51:52 AM »
Interesting that the Kodiaks seem to have a tendency to get a bit bow heavy, whereas my GA is transom heavy and I'm always burning aft fuel first and stowing as much gear forward as possible. Perhaps that's because my build is so light with the foam-core cabin and minimal gear/cabinetry/no inverter/AC system...?

On future builds with twins it would be easy to add weight at the transom by putting the start batteries (which still have to be heavy AGM 55# ea) in aft transom lockers and the house battery bank could even be put in a back deck locker with some creative design on the front end of the project.

Anyway, congratulations on this major milestone, that was definitely a big day!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #320 on: April 02, 2023, 01:31:26 PM »
Twin 175 Yamahas, 1100 pounds of motors. Going on April 11 th

Oh good ... that'll help balance out the boat.

Quite honestly, there have been about as many Great Alaskans running stern-heavy as there have been that run a little bow-heavy.  This is one of the trade-offs.  Lightweight boats (for their size/weight versus weight of cargo and onboard stuff) are going to be a little more of a teeter totter versus big heavy glass boats such as a SeaSport or Orca etcetera.  Recall that displacement/boat weight is the NUMBER ONE killer of high gas mileage or efficiency on the water.  This boat design is light on purpose ... combined with the monohedron hull form and optimized aspect ratio, it gets double the gas mileage compared to any other boat in its class.  Of course, there's that weight trade-off ... you benefit from keeping where the CG is in mind (about 1/3rd of boat length forward of transom) and try to keep the heaviest items as close as you can to that area ... the 'green zone'.  Items in or near the CG, plus or minus a few feet, have less leverage over the boat's CG (shorter moment arm) than items further from the CG ... like Dan said, if you build lightweight forward, you might want to keep your batteries and tanks a little more forward of the CG and perhaps avoid large heavy motors or use a single rather than twins.  The opposite applies if you go heavy forward, easy to do in the more 'live aboard' accommodations boats ... try to lay things out to keep as much of that forward weight aft as you can and consider balancing out the boat with a heavier motor, twins, or slightly longer motor brackets (or hydraulic jack plates instead of a light simple bracket), or put batteries under the splash well etc.   An option that I've mentioned before, as well, is the movement of fuel tanks to behind the aft pilot house bulkhead by adding saddle tanks under the gunnel on each side.  This is also a way to gain extended range for the boat even if you do have the end-to-end under-deck tanks as shown in the plans.

It's just a matter of keeping all weights considered as you design them into the boat.  Both the standard Great Alaskan and Kodiak have proven performance even if the trim was/is a little up or down from 'perfect'.  All that have been built have been amazing boats ...

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 04, 2023, 04:44:29 PM »
Congratulations "Team Lindy" What a day for bringing out your boat, beautiful sight for sure.

ghelland

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 05, 2023, 03:15:42 PM »
If you drive that boat as fast as you built it you will burn the paint off an the water.

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #323 on: April 13, 2023, 07:25:56 PM »
Motors on electronic steering works, test drive tomorrow.

ghelland

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 13, 2023, 09:21:06 PM »
I bet you don't sleep.  That's better than Christmas.

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #325 on: April 14, 2023, 05:24:58 PM »
Awesome! Are those the yamaha digital actuators? If so, where'd you get them? I have been waiting for the one I ordered since March of 2021... O.O

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #326 on: April 14, 2023, 07:06:46 PM »
yes all digital helmmaster controls, got all parts except waiting for CL-5 display. Got all in a engine/helmaster control package  from Rocky's Marine in Petersberg AK.

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #327 on: April 14, 2023, 07:10:27 PM »
Oh man, that's awesome... I am jealous! Post some details about how they operate when you try them out. I do like my hydraulic steering for a stop gap but I have to imagine the digital ones are going to be so much more precise and seamless. I have a CL-5 I will trade you for one! :P

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 14, 2023, 07:12:03 PM »
Getting close now.

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #329 on: April 14, 2023, 07:32:03 PM »
SPLASHED TODAY,

Boat slid off trailer no problem. Sits a few inches lower than I hope fore, but aft scuppers still 1 1/2 to 2 inches out of the water. We nailed the for/aft trim, with the gunnel being within one degree of level. Do have a bit of a STB list, and may need to move my hot water tank to the other side of the boat.

Boat got up and went although seemed a bit over propped. Got 5800 rpms out of the engines ad was cruising at 38.8 Knots. Backing down to 4000 rpms I was cruising 25 knots. Fuel consumption was 1.9knts per gallon. Hopefully that will improve with a different prop.

Back to the boat shed, plan on raising the bottom paint. Need to add the brow, and Dan is coming in late April to finish up the wiring. Big trip planned for 1st week in May.